Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,550,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
According to VS method I'm a 32d. But the 32d just looks small on, especially when certain styles create the 4 boob look. I'm wearing a 32dd from vs right now but the band feels a bit more snug than I used to but the cups seem alright.

By the regular ribcage and bust measurement I'm some crazy size that doesn't sound right. My rib cage is usually 28 (29 now after the holidays ) and my bust is 35-36 depending on time of month, etc.
Judging by the sizes you posted, your 'true' bra size would be a 28 or 30 E or G.

Thin and Curvy: How to measure your bra size, the correct way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM

747 posts, read 1,676,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
This is a rant with a question. I just received an order in the mail from VS. They are having their sale so I bought 5 $50 bras for 25 each and they are tiny (all 32D). Does anyone know if you are supposed to break them in?

The smallest is a bra called "Gorgeous". I'm literally bulging out of it, even with the straps loose. The band is fine, but the cup leaves me no room, this is seriously a b-cup. It looks like I have 4 boobs. Should I try wearing this around the house to break it in or will that not work?

Lace Push-Up Bra - Gorgeous Collection - Victoria's Secret

I'm tired of VS's jacked-up sizing.

What makes it weirder is that this size is too small, yet my vs silk nightie is an XS.

VS does have awful sizing. I needed some new bras recently and tried a few on, I am a 38D. They sized me at a 38DD and got me a bar to try on. I swear that had to be a B cup! I ended up not buying anything and going to JCPenny and got my correct size a 38D and it fit me perfectly. It seems like all of VS bras are padded and for girls that barely have anything on top. Those bras even in a much too large size didn't even come close to fitting me and I tried on one without under wires! If I was you i'd send them back and get my money back and go get a good fitting bra.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,879,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
VS does have awful sizing. I needed some new bras recently and tried a few on, I am a 38D. They sized me at a 38DD and got me a bar to try on. I swear that had to be a B cup! I ended up not buying anything and going to JCPenny and got my correct size a 38D and it fit me perfectly. It seems like all of VS bras are padded and for girls that barely have anything on top. Those bras even in a much too large size didn't even come close to fitting me and I tried on one without under wires! If I was you i'd send them back and get my money back and go get a good fitting bra.
This is where I have found the women are helpful and the bras fit more true to size.........plus when you know what you want they always have free shipping

Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,677,342 times
If you think you need a push up and are over a c-cup, you probably are in the wrong size.

General rule of thumb is to avoid push ups when you are larger than a c.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,762,423 times
So today I went shopping and had an itch to do some experimenting in Victoria's Secret because of this thread. You see, I still have old 32B and 32C bras from there that fit okay so I figured Pear's troubles were either from the major padding in the bras she bought or her boobs must be bigger than she realizes (though we seem to have similar measurements).

And the semi annual sale was on! So I picked through the boxes and went to try on a variety of 32C and 32Ds, some with major padding and some with none. I was actually hoping to find a 32C mega padded push-up bra because I have a costume idea in mind for next Halloween, but I digress.

These are not strictly safe for work but shouldn't offend anyone. And with a little luck the kind of lookyloos who come to this forum just for T&A pics won't notice.

My findings: 32C, no padding.
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...A36399C063.jpg

Slight spillage. It wasn't so much the size of the cup that caused it, but it was like the shape wasn't right. The real atrocity, though, was this
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...A35B2B3FFC.jpg
The center gore floats far away from my chest, on top of the breast tissue. In a properly fitting bra, the gore should be flush against your chest without squishing any tissue.

So wow, I wasn't expecting that. So how about that unpadded 32D?
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...A36D5207FB.jpg
Exactly the same results, overflow on the tops and a floating gore, which I failed to take a picture of.

I was very surprised at the sizing, as there seemed to be no difference in size from the C to the D. I would have grabbed a 32DD but the line for the dressing room was long and my feet were tired. What wasn't surprising was the fit issues I pointed out. Because my chest isn't terribly big, I could probably do alright in these poorly fit bras without issues like back and shoulder pain, but larger busts would be in agony.

Here's the bra I wore into the dressing room, a Freya Deco 28DD.
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...A372F1EBE2.jpg
Now, this bra does give me some trouble because the molded cup doesn't fit perfectly to my shape, but it never cuts in and the center gore sits directly on my chest like so
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...A37A74EA21.jpg
It doesn't sit on top of my breasts or let tissue hang out the bottom, which is why a properly sized band gives 85% of the support of the bra and takes the pressure off your shoulders.

I thought about testing the sales lady as she asked me if there were any fit issues I had or if I wanted to be sized (perhaps because I walked in with a pile of different sizes) but politely declined. I can only imagine what they would say about my floating center gore, she'd probably tell me that's how bras are supposed to fit .

Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM

15,114 posts, read 27,595,034 times
Well, you all are "endowed" but not all of us tiny breasted folks want all the padding - sadly, that's how they are now - What ever happened to being happy with what nature gave you?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,762,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well, you all are "endowed" but not all of us tiny breasted folks want all the padding - sadly, that's how they are now - What ever happened to being happy with what nature gave you?
Me? Or the OP? Though I think we're similar sizes, but I should say images in picture may appear larger than they actually are. But a properly fitted bra always helps and I've had no trouble finding unpadded varieties from manufacturers like Freya, Panache, and Curvy Kate.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,728,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Try Wacoal as well. And if you want to splurge, Agent Provocateur.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM

48,360 posts, read 34,485,139 times
My size at VS can change depending on the type of bra (eg: t-shirt, demi cup, padded, etc.). I always try on.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,391,976 times
Where can you get Agent Provocateur in the U.S.?

VS bras are too big for me. It makes me sad cause I can afford them on sale. they also tried to fit me into whatever size they could get me into just to sell a bra. i was not having it. Wacoal is the only brand I can try on in person that makes my size but even they don't make that many options in my size. its annoying. that, and they are expensive. I spent almost 60 bucks on my black one from them. It fits beautifully and is really pretty so its worth it but I can't afford that all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty