U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's more stylish and/or fashionable?
Europeans are generally more stylish 55 71.43%
Americans are generally more stylish 4 5.19%
Neither and it really depends on where you fo 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,462,455 times

Advertisements

i dont know much about england but the french make fantastic inventions but then remove them from the market. i dont know why.
the italians make beautiful cars that breakdown a lot.
i think that form is not as important as substance and availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM

27,623 posts, read 24,832,767 times
Tom Brady does his best to be the U.S. version of Beckham, but he's no competition, really.

David Beckham. Sharp.

http://www.kurtiss.com/blog/wp-conte...riped-suit.jpg

Roger Federer is all class on and off the court.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...y_2256876b.jpg
http://www.cbc.ca/fashionfile/blog/Roger%20Federer.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9hIs56Ak5y...%2BFederer.jpg

Daniel Craig. The whole concept of "Bond" could never really be American, could it? We'll have to settle on Jason Bourne.

http://img.rasset.ie/00068e0a-440.jpg

Vincent Cassel. Married to arguably the most beautiful woman on earth (Monica Bellucci). I actually saw him in the airport once. Always dressed impeccably.

http://www.boldjack.com/wp-content/u...welve-2004.jpg

Segolene Royal. Always foxy.

http://www.grazia.fr/var/grazia/stor...780x1040_p.jpg

Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM

862 posts, read 1,169,412 times
Europeans may "dress better" but Americans dress more practically.

However European guys dress and look feminine and gay. A lot of them have long frosted hair, wear capri pants and use "man purses" as well as wear those Armani designer shirts.

I've also noticed that Europeans tend to be very weak and sick looking from being so thin. They almost look like twigs.

Last edited by CountryFisher; 01-04-2013 at 07:57 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM

868 posts, read 930,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post

However European guys dress and look feminine and gay. A lot of them have long frosted hair, wear capri pants and use "man purses" as well as wear those Armani designer shirts.

I've also noticed that Europeans tend to be very weak and sick looking from being so thin. They almost look like twigs.
Obviously, you have never been anywhere in Europe. I doubt you even have a passport. If you do though, I'd pay good money to challenge you to walk into my old local pub and say those things. If you're lucky, you just might get to experience the good old NHS.

I don't know anyone who dresses like that, unless that's your fetish?

Last edited by Hombre; 01-04-2013 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 PM

1,638 posts, read 2,475,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Obviously, you have never been anywhere in Europe. I doubt you even have a passport. If you do though, I'd pay good money to challenge you to walk into my old local pub and say those things. If you're lucky, you just might get to experience the good old NHS.

I don't know anyone who dresses like that, unless that's your fetish?
Exactly.

Also, the only reason these things appear "feminine and gay" is because our culture has taught us to think that way, unfortunately.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,448,087 times
I saw a few too many head to toe white linen outfits on the train to and from Cannes to believe the French are style experts. You can find stylish and horrid fashion in every country.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,469,841 times
Quote:

In another thread you stated you consider Olive Garden "fancy", so this comment comes as no surprise.

Oddly, those weak and sick looking Euros live longer than we do. US life expectancy is behind Monaco, San Marino, Andorra, Italy, Liechtenstein, France, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Iceland, Netherlands, Ireland, Norway, Germany, UK, Greece, Austria, Malta, Luxembourg, Belgium, Finland, Bosnia & Herzagovina, Gibraltar, Denmark and Portugal.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 AM

692 posts, read 786,913 times
I'm an American, but I lived in several European countries for years, so here's my take.

I think that there are a multitude of factors that are in play here, but, if we're making generalizations, then I absolutely agree that Europeans (or at least on the continent) tend to dress better than Americans.

However, like I said, there are many factors in play. For one thing, the difference between countries. In my experience, many people in countries like France, Italy, and Spain, etc. just ooze style and tend to be very fashionable and chic. There is no question (in my mind at least) that the average Frenchman, Italian, and Spaniard dresses better than the average American. They have a completely different approach and mindset to fashion and to appearance and presentation in general. From what I've gathered from friends and family living in places like France and Italy, people there tend to be more aware of how they dress and how they look and they take pride in their appearance. My Italian cousins once said to me (regarding the Italian view on fashion) that feeling good about your appearance and taking pride in yourself transcends to all parts of your life and it gives you confidence in all aspects of your life. They feel like how can they do well in other aspects of their lives if they don't feel good about themselves.

Another thing to note is that Europeans tend to own less clothing than Americans, but their clothing tends to be of higher quality and value. The average European would rather pay $250 for a nice, designer pair of jeans that are of very high quality and will last a long time, as opposed to an American who might buy 5 pairs for $100 at Target or wherever.

Now, I think the UK (and Ireland too) tends to be more like America here. In my experience, Brits don't "dress up" like the continental Europeans do, but are more inclined to go for a more casual and relaxed look, like Americans. But, and again, similar to the US, I think it depends greatly where you go in the country too. People in London, for example, are extremely stylish and are just as fashionable as people in Paris and Milan, hands down. Some of the coolest and edgiest designers are coming out of London and the city is really thriving in the fashion department these days. In other parts of the country, especially outside the big cities, people are more casual in their dressing. I think this is also true in the US too. People in places like NYC, LA, Miami, etc. tend to be very fashionable and I would again say are as fashionable as people in London, Paris, Milan, etc. But in other parts of the country, this is obviously not true and people are pretty much "casual" all the time. I think the divide between the chic city and more rural/country is much more stark in the US and the UK than it is on continental Europe where I would say most people have at some sense of style.

Quote:

Define practical. I mean, sure, I agree that different situations require different dress codes, but overall I don't think that that's any excuse or justification for the fact that Americans tend not to dress as nicely as Europeans do.

Also, literal LOL at your comment about European men! Have you ever been to Europe? They don't dress "feminine and gay", they just dress nicer and actually take pride in themselves and their appearance. Something many Americans should also be doing too. I think it's really a shame that some people in our society automatically judge and label people with the "feminine" and "gay" brush, because they take pride in themselves and their appearance. I think it demonstrates a lack of rationally, class, and higher intelligence. I'm a straight guy, but tend to dress more "European" than the average American. Does that make me look "gay" and "feminine"? That's just ridiculous. I'd rather look nice and put together than look sloppy and casual all the time. And your statements about the hair, capris, and "man purses" are just downright false. Do some European men (and American men too) do/ have such things? Sure. But you paint a picture as if you think it's all of them, which is just wrong. Sorry, you're really incorrect here.

And your last comment is also just plain wrong and ignorant too. Europeans tend to be much healthier than Americans and tend to be in better shape than Americans, who, are fatter than Europeans on average. I think too many Americans have gotten to the point where they're too fat or ignorant to know what a healthy, normal, and thin person looks like anymore. Another thing to note here is that Europeans eat a much more healthy and balanced diet and have normal sized portions, as opposed to in the US where the portions are often times way too large for one person and are just unhealthy.

I love the US so, so much, but comments like yours paint us all in a bad light when they really just represent a small minority of people.

Last edited by CityLover9; 01-05-2013 at 12:35 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,077,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What's the difference in style between Minneapolis and Seattle? Or Portland and San Francisco?
You couldn't cite more similar cities?

Try New York vs Philadelphia or Chicago vs Miami.

Quote:
I would say London women are much more stylish than Los Angeles women (and probably NYC women as well). It's lights out when it comes to Paris, Rome and Milan.
Surely you jest! Well maybe you are referring to Queens or Brooklyn because you can't be referring to Manhattan.

As for L.A. the home of the red carpet and where half the women want to be in show business... puleeze! Maybe your problem is that no one walks, but check the inside of those Bentley's, Porches and Land Rovers and you might get a better feel for the place.

Last edited by ovcatto; 01-05-2013 at 01:33 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,949,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
...People in places like NYC, LA, Miami, etc. tend to be very fashionable and I would again say are as fashionable as people in London, Paris, Milan, etc. But in other parts of the country, this is obviously not true and people are pretty much "casual" all the time. I think the divide between the chic city and more rural/country is much more stark in the US and the UK than it is on continental Europe where I would say most people have at some sense of style.....
Have to respectfully disagree with you. There is no comparison between the UK and USA as far as fashionability is concerned. While I go to London frequently and the level of fashion there is heightened compared to the rest of the UK, I still find that people all over the UK are a lot more fashionable (compared to Americans) on a daily basis and especially when they go out. I live in a small town in the Midlands (and travel all over the UK). Even here, 2 hours from London, people know how to dress up and do so a LOT more frequently and to a greater extent than anything I have ever experienced in the USA. Make-up perfect, hair done well, nice clothing - they go the whole nine yards when they go out for dinner - even for a movie.

Not making a judgement on it one way or the other. I was really quite amazed by it in the beginning. Even people without a lot of money make a lot of effort - most of them dress better for grocery shopping that I would for a dinner out. I felt like a right bum when I first moved over here - like many (most?) North Americans I am rather casual in dress. Jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, some nice stuff - but most of it for the office - but for the most part, pretty darn casual.

I've made an effort over here the last couple of years to buy nicer clothing and footwear and certainly get much more fancied up for a dinner out than I ever have. This is honestly mostly in deference to my husband. Everyone else's wife or girlfriend is looking pretty glam, so I make an effort to look good for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty