U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's more stylish and/or fashionable?
Europeans are generally more stylish 55 71.43%
Americans are generally more stylish 4 5.19%
Neither and it really depends on where you fo 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You couldn't cite more similar cities?

Try New York vs Philadelphia or Chicago vs Miami.
Portland and Seattle aren't as similar as New York and Philadelphia?

Quote:
Surely you jest! Well maybe you are referring to Queens or Brooklyn because you can't be referring to Manhattan.
Yes, I'm referring to Manhattan as well.

NYC does not match the cultural enthusiasm of Paris and London. There's a real enthusiasm about fashion in those cities where you don't see pure frumpiness in women as often as you do here. New York is tremendously fashionable compared to every other American city, but that's not saying a whole lot. It's the same way that NYC is a supremely walkable city compared to our sprawling cities, but perhaps a notch or two down compared to Paris.

Quote:
As for L.A. the home of the red carpet and where half the women want to be in show business... puleeze! Maybe your problem is that no one walks, but check the inside of those Bentley's, Porches and Land Rovers and you might get a better feel for the place.
London and Paris walk all over Los Angeles (on the catwalk). Not even close. There's far less fashion enthusiasm on the whole in LA than there is in NYC, so I don't know what makes you think L.A. can rival the major European fashion capitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Now, I think the UK (and Ireland too) tends to be more like America here.
Agreed for the most part, but I asked about the English specifically.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 4,125,661 times
agree that Europeans are more trendy and fashionable. The British like "interesting styles"- they mix and match clothing patterns, so whether that is "fashion" is subjective. On the other hand, I've seen a whole lot of Brits who favor matronly and drab styles too...I personally do NOT think British dress better at all than Americans. They are indeed more fashionable in the context of 'trend'- but not necessarily "stylish".

When it comes to dress and fashions, Americans in general are certainly less stylish or on-trend. However, "American style" is timeless and classic. The "All-American" look is alive and well- it's not about fashion though...it's about a clean-cut look with great teeth. Not denying the overwhelming chunk of the US population that look sloppy...however, go to the affluent areas of NYC, Southern CA, Miami, Dallas and you see plenty of stylish people.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM

472 posts, read 884,367 times
It's all subjective and relative if you ask me.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,053,388 times
From my personal experience, I don't think so.

I have met many students from the UK, France, and Italy. They dressed just as well as regular well dressed students (notice I am comparing apples to apples, not a middle class urban French kid with small town country American kid). I have noticed that the European students wear scarves and boots more, but that is it. No other noticeable difference.

Also, I worked at a retail store that was close to an international airport. We would get customers from all over the world. There, I have met many European customers from around age 25-70. They dressed just as well/badly as Americans. One group came in, and I thought they were just American customers until they started speaking fluent German.

I think many of you are trying to say that the majority of Americans dress like the 'people of Walmart', and that just isn't true, AT ALL.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 AM

3,097 posts, read 4,011,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I saw a few too many head to toe white linen outfits on the train to and from Cannes to believe the French are style experts. You can find stylish and horrid fashion in every country.
true!...but we are speaking in general terms and in general terms, Europeans IMO dress better and are less lable who*res

Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM

26,864 posts, read 28,137,614 times
I live in an unstylish region of the US (the Bay Area, while fairly wealthy, isn't all that stylish).

In my personal experience, on the whole europeans dress better than americans. For a myriad of reasons. But I think that in general, americans place a pretty low priority on good style and good fit.

In the Bay, there are a few dominant styles: the northface hikers, the hipsters, the hippies, and the drab worker bees. In San Francisco, you'll see a few more stylish people out an about. Part of the reason is that most workplaces are casual or business casual. Jeans are acceptable in most business meetings.

Secondly, in the US, I think it is pretty difficult to get genuinely stylish clothing if you aren't "European-sized." You have to try a little hard to get interesting and stylish stuff. And then there is the subset of label-freaks, who assume style = brand.

So if you are american, and want to be stylish, you need to work a little harder. And go into realizing that many people won't even care about your style.

**I find I tend to get the most outfit compliments from older people (60+) or europeans; I am reasonably stylish most of the time. The truth is, that most people, no matter their shape or size, look better slightly "dressed up" than in the typical casual basics of jeans, hoodies, tee shirts and sneakers.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Of the people who voted that Americans are generally more stylish, I wonder how many of them have spent any "significant" (read: longer than a week) amount of time in Rome, Milan, Florence, Paris, Lille, London or Birmingham. That's about all the time you need in any one city (probably less, actually) to know that the inhabitants of those cities are much more stylish than their American counterparts. Arguing that Americans are generally more stylish than the Italians or the French is like arguing that American students are generally more diligent and intense than Japanese students.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM

170 posts, read 192,130 times
I was in France for two weeks during last summer, the year before I was in Netherlands and Belgium for two weeks, so there's your qualification as for questioning my time in Europe.

European people don't dress more "fashionable" than we do, they just dress differently, usually darker colors or black, very slim fit, or cut tightly, if you consider that fashionable, that would be your own definition of fashion, because I'm pretty sure you can look at the runway and see pirate shirts and heroin chic, and that was considered "fashionable" too.

I will say the one that shocked me the most was how much Europeans wear Abercrombie, and Hollister. Yes, good old mass market, capitalism is taking over Europe too! BTW My First Post! (-: Yay!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 AM

1,072 posts, read 843,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Europeans may "dress better" but Americans dress more practically.

However European guys dress and look feminine and gay. A lot of them have long frosted hair, wear capri pants and use "man purses" as well as wear those Armani designer shirts.

I've also noticed that Europeans tend to be very weak and sick looking from being so thin. They almost look like twigs.
Now I know that South-Park and Eric Cartman is a true story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty