U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's more stylish and/or fashionable?
Europeans are generally more stylish 55 71.43%
Americans are generally more stylish 4 5.19%
Neither and it really depends on where you fo 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So if you are american, and want to be stylish, you need to work a little harder. And go into realizing that many people won't even care about your style.
This is true. Americans, in general, are not that impressed by style. So why go through the extra effort when people don't care much or notice? It's like having great handwriting. Of what practical use is it for most people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,150,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is true. Americans, in general, are not that impressed by style. So why go through the extra effort when people don't care much or notice? It's like having great handwriting. Of what practical use is it for most people?

This is the same mentality American's take also regarding health and fitness. Why do physical activity and work hard when it's of little "practical use"?

They're just content being fat and sitting on the couch watching American Idol while they indulge themselves into a big bag of potato chips....it's sickening.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:20 PM

1,031 posts, read 658,162 times
Bajan Yankee, what do you mean Scotland has a different vibe to England. Have you been to Britain? Are you from Barbados, my favourite place on Gods earth!! ( including Cumbria).
Don't be fooled by Braveheart and Hadrians wall ( built by romans) Britain is 1x island. The scots came from Hibernia( Eire) Only the Picts ( painted people) inhabited Hibernia. Scotland doesn't actually exist, nor does Angle-land, nor wales. It is Britain.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM

412 posts, read 377,248 times
Yes and no.

I think Europeans dress nicer than Americans even when they go to the grocery or run errands, but I do think that Americans dress nice. It depends on where you live. Yes, to everyone saying that fashion centers of the country, like NYC, dress better, but also every city has wealthier areas where people tend to dress nice.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 PM

76 posts, read 47,453 times
I can tell which people who are well-dressed and not so well-dressed based on the tourists that I have met when I am travelling abroad:

British and French people generally dress quite well, and the majority do seem to have very good taste (especially the upper class people). But the British and French are nowhere as fashion crazy as the Italians and Spanish people from what I have noticed.

Germans and Scandinavians are not bad, although there are some of them who still dress plainly. I don't see Germans and Scandinavians as fashionable but I don't really see them as poorly dressed either.

Americans like to dress casually, they don't seem like to dress elaborately that much. Although I still see some Americans who like to wear baggy clothings when they are out.

Italians and Spanish people are very trendy and fancy looking, they seem to be quite crazy about fashion on average.

Japanese people often dress very well and look very neat, they are often seen wearing hats when they are going out.

Koreans often dress kind of weird, a lot Korean guys look kind of girly and a lot Korean girls like to dress weirdly.

Mainland Chinese don't dress well and untidy, they are generally more prone to color/motive mismatching when they are dressing up. Hong Kong Chinese look trendier than Mainland Chinese, and they are quite crazy about fashion (especially the rich ones). Taiwanese dress very simple, and Taiwanese guys sometimes like to wear baggy pants.

Singaporeans dress very simple, they are not crazy about fashion that much (except for the younger generation).

Australians and Dutch are often sloppy looking, a lot of them are not very fashionable and looked a bit untidy.

New Zealanders and Canadians often dress like Americans, very casual looking.

Middle Easterners like to cover up their body when they are out, due to their religion.

Indians are either dress very Indian style or rather modern, the well-off Indians tend to dress rather modern while the regular Indians still dress very Indian style.

Last edited by Cheng99; 12-22-2015 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 11:29 PM

10,339 posts, read 7,594,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
From my personal experience, I don't think so.

I have met many students from the UK, France, and Italy. They dressed just as well as regular well dressed students (notice I am comparing apples to apples, not a middle class urban French kid with small town country American kid). I have noticed that the European students wear scarves and boots more, but that is it. No other noticeable difference.

Also, I worked at a retail store that was close to an international airport. We would get customers from all over the world. There, I have met many European customers from around age 25-70. They dressed just as well/badly as Americans. One group came in, and I thought they were just American customers until they started speaking fluent German.

I think many of you are trying to say that the majority of Americans dress like the 'people of Walmart', and that just isn't true, AT ALL.
That's 'cause Germans don't dress well. French, Italian, Spanish, Swiss, and probably some other European countries, but not the Germans IMO. UK--mmm, I'd say big cities, are more stylish, but suburbs and country, no, not stylish.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:36 AM

196 posts, read 119,407 times
It depends on the individual. What you define as style is a personal choice and what the current "in" thing is just happens to be what the retailers are pushing. That's not style, that's a trend. I don't often find a lot of things I like when I shop so I take extremely good care of my wardrobe. It's an investment. All of my shoes and hats are boxed, all my bags are cleaned and all my clothes are properly cared for. I keep clothes for years and years and pass them on in still good condition.

I have some name brands I like. I used to like Nike sneakers and it took me two years to find a replacement pair because they keep making them uglier and more ridiculous looking. I like Keen footwear a lot. I have 5 pair of those. Patagonia made the best hemp slide ons but they quit so I have one fresh pair waiting for when the ones I'm wearing finally fall apart. I have a few Coach bags. They're classically styled and go with everything and I can always trade a Coach bag so. Name brands aren't style they are showing off how much money you spent.

I also make clothes, altered things from the clearance rack to look the way I want them. One thing no one can say about me is that I don't put serious thought into my outfit. It can be overalls and I will have the cutest accessories to match and it will be worn at the appropriate occasion.

I don't think any country has style. People have style. Frida Kahlo had style that reflected her culture Chanel had a chic style. Madonna, Katherine Hepburn, Gwen Stefani all had or have a distinct personal style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty