U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who's more stylish and/or fashionable?
Europeans are generally more stylish 55 71.43%
Americans are generally more stylish 4 5.19%
Neither and it really depends on where you fo 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185

Advertisements

I was going to say Europeans generally, but I wanted to cut off the inevitable, "But what about that small town in western Ukraine where people dress horribly!" comment. But the question is bascially whether you find the French, Italians and English to generally be more fashionable than Americans. You can use politicians, celebrities, businessman, athletes, or personal experiences as examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Here's one opinion on the matter.

Europeans Dress Better Than Americans: Fact | www.bangsandabun.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Aventura FL
868 posts, read 929,778 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was going to say Europeans generally, but I wanted to cut off the inevitable, "But what about that small town in western Ukraine where people dress horribly!" comment. But the question is bascially whether you find the French, Italians and English to generally be more fashionable than Americans. You can use politicians, celebrities, businessman, athletes, or personal experiences as examples.
I don't know. Some people in Britain dress terribly, but America wins on the sloppiness front. People tend to walk a lot more in those countries anyway and spend less time driving places, so you simply can't get away with as much sloppiness. People roll out of their cars and into Walmart here. Walmart is ASDA back home. I don't think there's a "people of ASDA" site.

I also think that Americans place more important on labels rather than being creative with fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Calabasas, CA
634 posts, read 784,102 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do the French, Italians and English Have Better Style than Americans?
Impossible to say since here in America, there are a wide variety of styles based on the different regions/areas.

A "style" in Little Rock will be different than a "style" in Dallas which will be different than a style in Montana which is different than a style in Manhattan which will be different than a "style" in Los Angeles.

Heck, even here in Los Angeles you'll find different styles in Calabasas, Inland Empire and even Topanga Canyon.

You may find London women dressed better than typical midwestern US woman, but the London woman may not be as well dressed and styling as an average Los Angeles woman.

Not sure why you wanted to exclude european woman from your list, but even here in Los Angeles, eastern european women are easy to identify based on thei own unique fashionable sense of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Impossible to say since here in America, there are a wide variety of styles based on the different regions/areas.
What's the difference in style between Minneapolis and Seattle? Or Portland and San Francisco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
You may find London women dressed better than typical midwestern US woman, but the London woman may not be as well dressed and styling as an average Los Angeles woman.
I would say London women are much more stylish than Los Angeles women (and probably NYC women as well). It's lights out when it comes to Paris, Rome and Milan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Not sure why you wanted to exclude european woman from your list
The French and Italians are not European? And I'm not asking about women. I'm asking about the French, Italians and English (not necessarily the "British," which may include people from Scotland and Wales), which includes both men and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I don't know. Some people in Britain dress terribly, but America wins on the sloppiness front.
Hate to be technical and nit-picky, but I made sure to specify England because Scotland has a completely different vibe. But to your point, there are terrible dressers in England, too. But my question is more about the general trend, not the exceptions to the trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
People tend to walk a lot more in those countries anyway and spend less time driving places, so you simply can't get away with as much sloppiness. People roll out of their cars and into Walmart here. Walmart is ASDA back home. I don't think there's a "people of ASDA" site.
Well, I lived in France during an exchange program, and we drove just as much as we did in the States. But there's more of a focus on style there than there is here. The way expressions such as "Time is money!" have penetrated the American psyche is the way style has very much permeated the national consciousness. I mean, even the cab drivers put a lot of pressure on you to step your game up because they are so well-dressed. I see a lot more creativity and flair in the Paris CBD than I do on a daily basis in Lower Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I also think that Americans place more important on labels rather than being creative with fashion.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Aventura FL
868 posts, read 929,778 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hate to be technical and nit-picky, but I made sure to specify England because Scotland has a completely different vibe. But to your point, there are terrible dressers in England, too. But my question is more about the general trend, not the exceptions to the trend.



Well, I lived in France during an exchange program, and we drove just as much as we did in the States. But there's more of a focus on style there than there is here. The way expressions such as "Time is money!" have penetrated the American psyche is the way style has very much permeated the national consciousness. I mean, even the cab drivers put a lot of pressure on you to step your game up because they are so well-dressed. I see a lot more creativity and flair in the Paris CBD than I do on a daily basis in Lower Manhattan.

Agreed.
I personally wouldn't have grouped England (rather the UK) in with France and Italy. France and Italy are famous for fashion and style. Britain's fashion would be better compared to the Netherlands, Germany or the Nordic countries; similar cultures and climates.

I was in Paris last year actually. The French generally do not like to wear obvious labels. The fashion I saw in Paris was creative and interesting. I really saw all sorts.

I would say that Britain is somewhere in between the US and the rest of Europe, but we have our sloppiness too. Generally though people at least dress appropriately to work and I don't know any self-respecting British woman who would go to the supermarket dressed in pajamas or skin tight yoga pants, though it does happen (just not so much). I would also say that even though we don't have as much of an obesity problem as the US, it's easier for bigger women back home to dress stylishly. I only know that because my American ex wife would tell me that all the time while we were still living in Londonderry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I personally wouldn't have grouped England (rather the UK) in with France and Italy. France and Italy are famous for fashion and style. Britain's fashion would be better compared to the Netherlands, Germany or the Nordic countries; similar cultures and climates.
The English are dressier than all of them. London is considered a fashion capital, and while all of England obviously isn't London, what is the London equivalent in Holland, Germany or Sweden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I would say that Britain is somewhere in between the US and the rest of Europe, but we have our sloppiness too. Generally though people at least dress appropriately to work and I don't know any self-respecting British woman who would go to the supermarket dressed in pajamas or skin tight yoga pants, though it does happen (just not so much). I would also say that even though we don't have as much of an obesity problem as the US, it's easier for bigger women back home to dress stylishly. I only know that because my American ex wife would tell me that all the time while we were still living in Londonderry.
I would say there's more of a cultural exuberance about fashion than there is in the States, though I will agree that it's not to the same extent as France (where it is almost religion). I mean, compare these two photos of the English and American World Cup teams.

England
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...abio-C-006.jpg

U.S.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...ey-Wor-006.jpg

Watching the U.S. play England in the World Cup was definitely a contrast in styles, and I'm talking about more than just football. Beckham and Capello are impecabbly dressed from head to toe. And our manager and injured players are dressed in windbreakers. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 1,443,700 times
Reputation: 3324
I work with a very international crowd in an office of about 50 people. About half of the people in the office are foreign born. These people from elsewhere appear to be much more "hip" than the Americans in the office. The one thing that stands out is that my non-American colleagues are more fit and slender---so clothes look better on them. I work with people from Russia, Turkey, Ireland, Brazil, Spain and Laos. All these folks look spiffy compared to their American counterparts. (Except me, of course. LOL!!! I always dress nice when going to work...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
 
1,638 posts, read 2,471,026 times
Reputation: 2693
I've attended one of the largest international uni's, traveled abroad to Europe, and I work for a UK based company (with offices around the world).

I'd say, as a WHOLE, euro's tend to have a better style.

I noticed in France, especially, that people tend to be more natural. Women aren't always overly made up, and both genders are put together even when going out to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top