U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM

2,976 posts, read 2,396,993 times

Advertisements

Why are velcro shoes associated with nursing homes? Why are those glasses that change colors in sunlight associated with middle school geeks? Why did big rubber boots never come in style? Why are truckers the only ones that wear overalls?

Someone help me! It seems like all the things that would be practical are fashionly disasterous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Where did you come up with these misconceptions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Why are velcro shoes associated with nursing homes?
I associate them with kids.

Quote:
Why are those glasses that change colors in sunlight associated with middle school geeks?
They have nothing to do with middle school around here.

Quote:
Why did big rubber boots never come in style?
Becasue they are big rubber boots...

Quote:
Why are truckers the only ones that wear overalls?
I know many truckers (dad was one) and not a single one wears/wore overalls.
Many farmers in my area do though.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
Quote:
Why are velcro shoes associated with nursing homes?
I suppose when they look like these,

instead of these.

Quote:
Why are those glasses that change colors in sunlight associated with middle school geeks?
I suppose when they aren't mounted in frames like these;

Quote:
Why did big rubber boots never come in style?
Surely you jest?

Rain Boots for Men Women and Kids | Hunter Boot Ltd

Quote:
Why are truckers the only ones that wear overalls?
What were you saying?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 AM

2,135 posts, read 3,532,911 times
I have shoes that I just slip on. They have laces, but no way of tying them. You just slip them on and off. Hell they weren't even in a box. Just hanging on a clip for $20. The most easiest to wear and comfortable shoes I've ever wore. Almost 2 years old now. Screw fashionable. Lol

Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
I wear what I feel most comfortable in and never allow the 'fashion police' to dictate my decisions.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,706,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I never allow the 'fashion police' to dictate my decisions.
Same here.
What is fashionable in one place may not be in another, so... What I wear must be fashionable somewhere

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
FASHION!! Is that a natual thing, or some idiot's idea of what will be possible to sell a couple of years from now???

The Style of the Day doesn't happen overnight, you know. It has to be planned well in advance of being made, put in stores and sold. Someone decides what will be fashionable, and then it becomes fact whether anyone like it or not.....they still buy it because someone else decided that it would be fashionable.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 AM

2,976 posts, read 2,396,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
FASHION!! Is that a natual thing, or some idiot's idea of what will be possible to sell a couple of years from now???

The Style of the Day doesn't happen overnight, you know. It has to be planned well in advance of being made, put in stores and sold. Someone decides what will be fashionable, and then it becomes fact whether anyone like it or not.....they still buy it because someone else decided that it would be fashionable.
And they've figured out that if they ever made convienient clothing fashionable, it would never go out of style and they would never make money

Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 AM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Places like L L Bean have always made the practical, not the fashionable. You are never quite in style with L L Bean---but you'll be warm or dry or whatever else you want.

Lately they've had to bow to fashion a little bit and now they even sell doggie beds and household items but they still have some of the basic clothing that they started out with 100 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty