U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,716,781 times

Advertisements

The fashion industry is run by gay dudes and straight women not straight men but for some reason we get the brunt of the blame for why society has these pressures on women. I don't get it. We have an industry profiting off making girls think men are more shallow then we really are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,150,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Men on this board say the love curvy,thick women.

I know this wasn't the main point of your comment, but I'd ask "Why do men on this board say they love curvy, think women?"

It's because men on this board, as well as a majority of American men, are fat (overweight or obese) and have grown to prefer women with similar body compositions. The vast majority of guys who like fat women are fat guys, and there are plenty of them in our country today.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The fashion industry is run by gay dudes and straight women not straight men but for some reason we get the brunt of the blame for why society has these pressures on women. I don't get it. We have an industry profiting off making girls think men are more shallow then we really are
There is a lot of truth to this.

Here's a great article on that topic from NY Mag. (although it says that gay men aren't the cause of issues in the fashion industry)
Are Gay Men to Blame for the Fashion Industry

As a straight guy who pays attention to both men's and women's fashion, I completely agree that a lot of these issues are a result of the over prevalence of
gay men in the fashion industry. With that said, if women had more prominent roles in fashion, I don't think it'd be much different. Hell, regardless of gender,
no one in their right mind wants to see size 10 models on the runway, and I don't either.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,865,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Men on this board say the love curvy,thick women.
But they seem to forget 2 things...

Not every overweight woman is curvy,and not every skinny woman is flat.

Also,its just as unrealistic to expect all of a woman's extra fat to go to the right places.
Being extra curvy with very large breast and buttocks is extremely even more unrealistic.
As I always said,its actually more realistic for me to be Kate Moss skinny than extra extra curvy like Anna Nicole Smith(who had breast implants btw).
What if an overweight woman's extra fat went to her stomach,and none to her boobs or butt?
That is possible you know.. I bet men wouldn't prefer overweight woman then...

Most of this "extra curvy" business going on is a result of plastic surgery and injections,so men beware.
This goes for overweight as well as skinny girls.
The thing is, I wouldn't really be attracted to that woman regardless of how much she weighed, because even if she were thin, she'd have almost no butt to speak of, and that's a major turnoff. I find that women with optimum body proportions tend to look the best across the weight ranges.

Quote:
what the hell are you talking about? i didn't say anything of the kind. YOU'RE making false assumptions. more than half of all american adults are overweight/obese. we are the laughing stock of the world. don't worry about how my life is gonna be. worry about how your life will be with diabetes and heart disease. i have no sympathy for these people. the majority of the problem is laziness and lack of self-discipline. i'm not superficial, i just see obesity as a fundamental character flaw in another human being

Quote:
It's because men on this board, as well as a majority of American men, are fat (overweight or obese) and have grown to prefer women with similar body compositions. The vast majority of guys who like fat women are fat guys, and there are plenty of them in our country today.
I've seen so many real life examples to contradict this it's not even funny.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I know this wasn't the main point of your comment, but I'd ask "Why do men on this board say they love curvy, think women?"

Oh, this is a claim just asking for a C-D poll thread! This may be too tempting to pass up!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,865,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, this is a claim just asking for a C-D poll thread! This may be too tempting to pass up!
Do it Ruth

Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Yes, cause people are really good with self perception of their body composition.

http://christakis.med.harvard.edu/pd...ticles/058.pdf

Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,512,941 times
I would just focus on:

Fitness = strength, flexibility & endurance
WPH= Weight proportionate to height

Personally I think some married women feel that it is their God-given RIGHT to let themselves go and lose their looks after they get hubby to the altar. This is where all this angry indignation comes from if a spouse risks life and limb and dares to inquire about the spouse getting into better shape, or trying to et healthier.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
I don't trust anyone's description of their own bodies. Fat, thin, muscular are all far too vague. Pictures or I automatically add 30lbs to everyone's self assessment.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
No, it's not. Physique doesn't capture most health problems. Take pancreatic cancer, for example. The principal reason pancreatic cancer is so deadly is that most people show no outward symptoms until they are at a terminal stage. Their health is bad, but physique doesn't show it. Many cancers aren't observable in people's physique until they reach similar stages. High blood pressure and arteriosclerosis don't show in people's physique. It doesn't show breathing functions except for acute cyanosis. Physique doesn't identify diabetes at all.

If physique is such a greate indicator of overall health, why do physicians order labwork? Because many meaningful indicators of health can't beobserved just by looking at a person.

And BMI, as a tool, can give no more information than height and weight can. Even then, it can't distinguish people with the same height and weight that have very different body compositions. And as a tool, it's only good if it predicts morbidity and mortality well, which it doesn't.

But weight is not the only aspect to health, by any stretch. Health also includes getting adequate sleep, proper nutrition, a strong network of social support and caring relationships, safe sex practices, moderate alcohol consumption, and whole host of other things--none of which have to do with weight.
Sure weight is not the only aspect of good health. Those that are into good health are also taking care of the areas that you mention. For the most part a way to avoid many many health problems start with taking care of your body. Those that do will normally stay within a specific weight range. Most of these people also get plenty of sleep. In fact I would bet that many people that do not get adequate sleep are over weight. I see it all the time. They stay up and eat and drink things that will help increase there weight. Many do it to help stay up. You see them drinking their sugury drinks. How many slim diabetics to you know? I bet you can find me many more heavy set diabetics. Lets look at high blood pressure. For the most part this is also a problem with heavy people, not those that are in shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty