U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM

245 posts, read 417,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The fashion industry is run by gay dudes and straight women not straight men but for some reason we get the brunt of the blame for why society has these pressures on women. I don't get it. We have an industry profiting off making girls think men are more shallow then we really are
And the straight guys that do work in the fashion industry still use thin models so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM

245 posts, read 417,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Yeah, but for those of us who live in Hollywood, or where Hollywood industry people live and play, its all true.

THIS is average where I live:

This is what the average yoga instructor looks like. She actually teaches at Equinox here in L.A.:

Yoga By Equinox - YouTube

Here is a pic of one of my yoga instructors:

Average my friend, depends on where you are.
Fabulous, I've never had the patience for yoga though. I think the average in my city is short and stocky, or tall and stocky.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,477,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
A lot of people have this problem. Real life isn't a runway. Real life isn't Hollywood.
they are just mad because i don't tiptoe around people's feelings. some fat people can't help it....but most of them can. when 60% of the population is overweight or obese, it's a big problem. there is no real pressure to be skinny. if there was, more than half of this nation wouldn't be fat. these fat people cry "OMG SUPERFICIAL" when nobody wants to court them. it's just like being an alcoholic or a drug addict, except their drug is food and being lazy. put down the damn fork and get your ass on that treadmill. oh you don't have the time? make time. almost anyone can set aside 30 minutes a day for some sort of physical activity. i did, and i worked 60 hours a week. and people wonder why healthcare costs are so high. that's part of the problem!

as someone else said in the thread, fat people expect everyone to accomodate them in society.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM

6,773 posts, read 6,857,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Sounds like you answered your own question.

P.S. you don't get to dictate how other women feel about their bodies just because you perceive them as preferable.
It wasn't actually a question I needed the answer to, I was asking others to think about that question. I have always known the answer, any woman over 12yrs old knows the outside world will respect them more if they are skinny, and if they are skinny they will be perceived as healthy even if they aren't, a woman pretty much has to be anorexic on her death bed to be considered "too skinny." I never told anyone how to feel about their bodies, I told my experience and opinion.

I have been unhealthy skinny during a major depression and I never heard so much praise for my body in my life, and I've always been on the thin side, I looked like many respected very skinny models or actresses look now. Even the few times I heard I was too skinny it was nothing like the insults overweight women go through, there is no comparison. I have close friends who are overweight, and I hear what people OPENLY say to them, they are publicly humiliated almost daily, I simply have no sympathy for whiney skinny women complaining about how hard it is for them when people I love are attacked daily for their weight, they are amazing women who deserve respect.

I was bone thin after losing my brother, never sleeping, rarely eating with dark circles, feeling like utter crap walking around with beautiful healthy women some would call fat, it was never me being openly disrespected, only them. No one should be attacked for their physical appearance period, I don't condone anyone being insulted, but it's much, much worse for overweight women.

Last edited by detshen; 01-10-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It wasn't actually a question I needed the answer to, I was asking others to think about that question. I have always known the answer, any woman over 12yrs old knows the outside world will respect them more if they are skinny, and if they are skinny they will be perceived as healthy even if they aren't. I never told anyone how to feel about their bodies.

I have been unhealthy skinny during a major depression and I never heard so much praise for my body in my life, I basically just looked like most models or actresses look now. Even the few times I heard I was too skinny it was nothing like the insults overweight women go through, there is no comparison. I have many close friends who are overweight, and I hear what people openly say to them, I simply have no sympathy for whiney skinny women complaining about how hard it is for them when people I love are attacked daily for their weight when they are amazing people who deserve respect.
Ah, I see. You don't tell thin women how to feel, you just shame them for not feeling the way you think they should. Got it. How noble of you to stand up for your fat friends by putting down other women, I'm sure they appreciate it.

Shockingly, your one experience as a skinny person is not representative of every skinny person's experience. It's not all sunshine and puppies, there is a lot of negativity that never gets called out because people like you think their pain is invalid compared to others. It's no different than to tell a woman whose husband hits her "Buck up, some women get murdered!"

Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. You don't tell thin women how to feel, you just shame them for not feeling the way you think they should. Got it. How noble of you to stand up for your fat friends by putting down other women, I'm sure they appreciate it.

Shockingly, your one experience as a skinny person is not representative of every skinny person's experience. It's not all sunshine and puppies, there is a lot of negativity that never gets called out because people like you think their pain is invalid compared to others. It's no different than to tell a woman whose husband hits her "Buck up, some women get murdered!"
Feel however you want, just don't expect sympathy from me. My "one experience" lasted years and I have always been thin. The pain is not invalid, but the comparison is RIDICULOUS compared to what overweight women go through, you must have never had overweight friends if you think it's the same thing.

I'm not even going to dignify that murder comment, now you are comparing your pain to abused women. Would you prefer I say "I'm so sorry, poor skinny girl has to hear a negative comment once in awhile mixed in with all the envy and respect that is given to skinny women, even though every magazine cover looks like you, women literally kill themselves to look like you, how devastating, poor, poor baby." Sorry, you won't hear that from me unless it's sarcastic. Everyone's a freaking victim these days!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Feel however you want, just don't expect sympathy from me. My "one experience" lasted years and I have always been thin. The pain is not invalid, but the comparison is RIDICULOUS compared to what overweight women go through, you must have never had overweight friends if you think it's the same thing.

I'm not even going to dignify that murder comment, now you are comparing your pain to abused women. Would you prefer I say "I'm so sorry, poor skinny girl has to hear a negative comment once in awhile mixed in with all the envy and respect that is given to skinny women, even though every magazine cover looks like you, how devastating, poor, poor baby." Sorry, you won't hear that from me unless it's sarcastic.
How about "I'm sorry that any woman has to deal with body shaming, especially from other women."

Answering hate with hate doesn't add up to love so instead of being a ***** to thin women, why not focus that energy into showing love for your fat friends?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
How about "I'm sorry that any woman has to deal with body shaming, especially from other women."

Answering hate with hate doesn't add up to love so instead of being a ***** to thin women, why not focus that energy into showing love for your fat friends?
I NEVER hate thin women, nor have I ever shamed, or hated anyone for their body size, you're not comprehending my posts. I hate people who whine when they are on the top, and are the most respected. Why do you need sympathy so bad? All my friends, from the skinniest to the biggest get nothing but love from me. The difference is my skinny friends don't whine about how hard their lives are, they realize they are the ideal and a negative comment here or there doesn't even come close to comparing to the daily agony of being overweight in the US, overweight people are treated as the bottom of the bottom, the overt cruelty is horrifying. Read through some of these posts, they are criticized as a matter of routine, and called lazy, ugly, worthless.

And I'll say it again, no one should be critized for their weight or any body part size, skinny or fat.

Last edited by detshen; 01-10-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I NEVER hate thin women, nor have I ever shamed, or hated anyone for their body size, you're not comprehending my posts. I hate people who whine when they are on the top, and are the most respected. Why do you need sympathy so bad? All my friends, from the skinniest to the biggest get nothing but love from me. The difference is my skinny friends don't whine about how hard their lives are, they realize they are the ideal and a negative comment here or there doesn't even come close to comparing to the daily agony of being overweight in the US, overweight people are treated as the bottom of the bottom, the overt cruelty is horrifying. Read through some of these posts, they are criticized as a matter of routine, and called lazy, ugly, worthless.

And I'll say it again, no one should be critized for their weight or any body part size, skinny or fat.
Who said this had anything to do with me?

You seriously can't see how you're shaming thin women? Maybe not about their bodies but for their emotions. You're saying they don't deserve to feel pain or body insecurity because you assume their lives are all peachy keen.

I haven't seen any whining but I wouldn't deny anyone the right to express their insecurities or make them feel like bratty children for being honest. Shaming someone for their feelings is no different than shaming someone for their body.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Yeah, but for those of us who live in Hollywood, or where Hollywood industry people live and play, its all true.

Average my friend, depends on where you are.
But makes your experience no less that of an outlier. In no universe is the ground zero of the entertainment industry indicative of anything relating to the typical human experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty