U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM

6,780 posts, read 6,866,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Who said this had anything to do with me?

You seriously can't see how you're shaming thin women? Maybe not about their bodies but for their emotions. You're saying they don't deserve to feel pain or body insecurity because you assume their lives are all peachy keen.

I haven't seen any whining but I wouldn't deny anyone the right to express their insecurities or make them feel like bratty children for being honest. Shaming someone for their feelings is no different than shaming someone for their body.
I'm asking thin women to be realistic, and take a look at how the world is for other people before they start complaining and comparing on threads like these. A thin women can dislike her body more than a heavy woman, those feelings come from inside. I am sorry if any woman truly feels bad about themselves, that's always sad, and a real concern, but in reality the world is so deeply, and overtly cruel to overweight people there is simply no COMPARISON to being "fat."

I've seen so much cruel and appalling behavior toward my "fat" friends and it's nothing like people who didn't like it when I was too skinny, most women would trade places with me, or any "too" skinny woman in a heartbeat. Overweight people are routinely, and openly attacked down to their core, not just about their bodies, their right to live is even questioned. I would never say insulting a skinny woman about her body is right, but a thin woman trying to make the comparison because of the occasional insult is going to sound whiney even if their feelings are real because the intensity of "fat hate" is so extreme. I never said life was perfect for skinny women, obviously, at my thinnest I was also at my most miserable.

We all have insecurities and hear the occasional insult, but the acceptance of fat hate in our culture is something else entirely, although, in part, it does spring from the general idea that it is okay to freely comment on and critique women's bodies, which is a problem that skinny women also deal with. I'm certain fat men hear it, but I doubt the attacks happen anywhere near as often, or as freely.

Last edited by detshen; 01-10-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,718,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I've seen so much cruel and appalling behavior toward my "fat" friends and it's nothing like people who didn't like it when I was too skinny, most women would trade places with me, or any "too" skinny woman in a heartbeat. Overweight people are routinely, and openly attacked down to their core, not just about their bodies, their right to live is even questioned. I would never say insulting a skinny woman about her body is right, but a thin woman trying to make the comparison because of the occasional insult is going to sound whiney even if their feelings are real because the intensity of "fat hate" is so extreme.
To add to this part of your post, it is also very common for fat people (I'm not sure of the statistical differences between men and women) to not receive adequate health care due to prejudices from medical professionals. Often, their ailments are brushed off as being due to a weight problem. Other times, people get shamed so much that they just avoid the doctor altogether. This is a large part of why the fat acceptance movement was started.

Examples:

Let's also not forget about airlines pushing to charge obese people for extra seats a few years ago (less than a decade, if I recall correctly) - and this was considered "okay". This is another part of why the fat acceptance movement was started.

Last edited by tazzled; 01-10-2013 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Blasted typos.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM

26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
To add to this part of your post, it is also very common for fat people (I'm not sure of the statistical differences between men and women) to not receive adequate health care due to prejudices from medical professionals. Often, their ailments are brushed off as being due to a weight problem. Other times, people get shamed so much that they just avoid the doctor altogether. This is a large part of why the fat acceptance movement was started.
I have had more than my share of useless doctors over the years. Useless doctors left me with undisguised hypothyroidism for at least 5 years.

The last crappy experience was when my typical doctor (she runs a small family practice) was unavailable and I needed to get an X-ray. I ended up going to another one available for my plan at a nearby hospital.

Unsurprisingly, the day I needed an X-ray was a little stressful. (I had a toe fracture as it turned out). And I was due for some new bloodwork. Anyway the doctor I went to that day was ringing the alarm about my elevated blood pressure and didn't bother to ask me what was typical and so on.

Instead he ordered a bunch of unnecessary bloodwork. When my doctor reviewed the following week, she said why on earth did he order that stuff.

I told her how my blood pressure was up that day. And she said this was completely unnecessary. That was an anomaly. And nothing to worry about. (My blood pressure has been consistently low to normal for the past 4 years).

It was clear the sub in doctor just made some assumptions based on my appearance. In reality I have really low to normal cholesterol, blood sugar and triglycerides. And normal blood pressure. My only health problems are hypothyroidism and a tendency towards low iron.

People really need to focus on the numbers not appearance. I love that my doctor asked me about my eating habits and exercise. She prescribes leafy greens and trips to the farmers market.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM

634 posts, read 785,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But makes your experience no less that of an outlier. In no universe is the ground zero of the entertainment industry indicative of anything relating to the typical human experience.
As someone earlier said, it depends on where you live.

I can go to Ohio or Akansas and think "whoa, this place is completely different than home, this is nothing indicative of anything relating to the typical human experience of what I am used to and have seen everyday of my entire life".

Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,441,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Yeah, but for those of us who live in Hollywood, or where Hollywood industry people live and play, its all true.

THIS is average where I live:

This is what the average yoga instructor looks like. She actually teaches at Equinox here in L.A.:

Yoga By Equinox - YouTube

Here is a pic of one of my yoga instructors:

Average my friend, depends on where you are.
LOL...no.

That is the fitness/vanity scene in that city. Lived there too and that is not average. There are more everyday people in L.A. than fitness models.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
As someone earlier said, it depends on where you live.

I can go to Ohio or Akansas and think "whoa, this place is completely different than home, this is nothing indicative of anything relating to the typical human experience of what I am used to and have seen everyday of my entire life".

Do agree there is a difference between LA and those places though.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 AM

634 posts, read 785,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
LOL...no.

That is the fitness/vanity scene in that city. Lived there too and that is not average. There are more everyday people in L.A. than fitness models.
Niether of those are "fitness models". They ARE what you will find in just about every yoga studio you will walk into. "Fitness models" are rare, and even in most gyms its rare that you will find a "fitness model".

These ARE your average, ordinary, everyday, yoga type people who just eat right, live right, and care about their health/bodies. Again, it just depends on where you are. I teach and frequent the following areas:

Calabasas
Woodland Hills
Sherman Oaks
Studio City
Encino
NoHo
Burbank
Malibu
Topanga
West LA
Santa Monica

That IS on about average what you wll find. Of course there are people of all different sizes EVERYWHERE and, its just that in some areas you just find more of certain types than others.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM

946 posts, read 790,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Does society put too much pressure on women to be extremely skinny? I think it's awful when a woman feels pressured to be so thin that you can see her ribs.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not supportive of the fat acceptance movement. If a woman wants an attractive man, she should make a reasonable effort to stay in shape herself. But i think some guys have crazy expectations for women's weight. It's sad how many women and young girls develop eating disorders to conform to these expectations. It's rather cruel of us as a society.

What does everyone think about this? Here's the chance for you ladies to sound off if you think society's expectations for weight are unreasonable.
Why do you conform to societal pressures? You do have the option to be whatever weight you chose, its a math equation. Go for the look you want or is that off the table?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,649,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post

Examples:

Let's also not forget about airlines pushing to charge obese people for extra seats a few years ago (less than a decade, if I recall correctly) - and this was considered "okay". This is another part of why the fat acceptance movement was started.
It should be OK for airlines to charge people more money if they can't fit in a standard seat.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Niether of those are "fitness models". They ARE what you will find in just about every yoga studio you will walk into. "Fitness models" are rare, and even in most gyms its rare that you will find a "fitness model".

These ARE your average, ordinary, everyday, yoga type people who just eat right, live right, and care about their health/bodies. Again, it just depends on where you are. I teach and frequent the following areas:

Calabasas
Woodland Hills
Sherman Oaks
Studio City
Encino
NoHo
Burbank
Malibu
Topanga
West LA
Santa Monica

That IS on about average what you wll find. Of course there are people of all different sizes EVERYWHERE and, its just that in some areas you just find more of certain types than others.
L.A. is bigger than that. I take my picture of average from what you would see at the beverly center or on the streets beyond those types of neighborhoods. Not just the gym zone in affluent areas. Body shape avg varies greatly in large cities all over the country I noticed. Kinda interesting in a way.

As far as model or not I think you may be thinking of the lifting type only? Like body builders?
There are different types of fitness models and a teacher is usually going to carry that look of a fitness model because it is their life. You don't have to look like a body builder to be a fitness model. Women like you pictured would be used to promote that level of fitness, yoga products etc. You just need a fit proportionate body and a decent face.

p.s. sourced this pic:
http://media.equinox.com/Media/image...sel_slide7.jpg

Just making a note that it is being used to market fitness to the masses in various places.
Take a picture for marketing = modeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty