U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,873,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
LOL...no.

That is the fitness/vanity scene in that city. Lived there too and that is not average. There are more everyday people in L.A. than fitness models.
Exactly. I grew up on the central coast and have quite a bit of family in those areas and have spent far more time than I wanted to in LA/Southern California...

Those pictures are by no means the average person over there. He's got blinders on and basically ignores people who aren't his 'ideal'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,995,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It should be OK for airlines to charge people more money if they can't fit in a standard seat.
I agree with this.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,264,207 times
It seems on CD the thin women and the overweight women are about equal when it comes to nasty comments made about their body types.

When a man says "I don't want no bones in bed with me" that is just as hurtful as "I don't want no fatty".

As for the airlines,no they shouldn't charge more..
I have a hard time believing anyone could fit in those seats.
They know people are bigger and taller,so why can't they make bigger seats?

Don't blame the person,blame the airlines for being so cheap.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,463,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It seems on CD the thin women and the overweight women are about equal when it comes to nasty comments made about their body types.

When a man says "I don't want no bones in bed with me" that is just as hurtful as "I don't want no fatty".

Cheap? You know airlines have been going bankrupt left and right? If they made their seats bigger then fewer people could fly per flight so everyone would pay more whether they were thin or big. You'd be asking everyone else to pay more money to accommodate you (or whatever hypothetical overweight person is being asked to pay more).

But I agree, comments bashing your body, regardless of size, are hurtful.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,264,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Cheap? You know airlines have been going bankrupt left and right? If they made their seats bigger then fewer people could fly per flight so everyone would pay more whether they were thin or big. You'd be asking everyone else to pay more money to accommodate you (or whatever hypothetical overweight person is being asked to pay more).

But I agree, comments bashing your body, regardless of size, are hurtful.
That is true regarding the airlines; however,every business has to upgrade at some point.
I even read that airplane seats have gotten smaller over time.
I have read that even normal weight passengers complain about the seats. They just aren't comfortable to anyone of any size.

I know you say you are tall. Are you comfortable in airplane seats?
I know your legs have to be cramped at some point during flights.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,873,785 times
Quote:
That is true regarding the airlines; however,every business has to upgrade at some point.
I even read that airplane seats have gotten smaller over time.
I have read that even normal weight passengers complain about the seats. They just aren't comfortable to anyone of any size.

I know you say you are tall. Are you comfortable in airplane seats?
I know your legs have to be cramped at some point during flights.
I guess it's time for me to defend the airline industry a bit.

Do you have ANY idea how expensive it is to maintain an aircraft? Honestly, tickets should be twice as much as they are right now just to keep up with the parts and labor needed to keep those things in the air. Pilots are already getting paid less than municipal bus drivers with MUCH worse hours, and Flight Attendants aren't far behind.

I get a little sick of people complaining about how horrible and expensive air travel is when my sister just bought a round trip ticket from CA to Boston for under $350. If it's so bad, pay the money and upgrade to business or first class.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,236,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
LOL...no.

That is the fitness/vanity scene in that city. Lived there too and that is not average. There are more everyday people in L.A. than fitness models.
I have to second this. No way this is a "normal" looking woman in Los Angeles. In fact, I don't even know what a normal looking woman looks like here. The population is diverse in every way imaginable. Let's just say she is normal looking for an LA yoga instructor.

And lets remember that people whose careers revolve around physical fitness will be in better shape than average joes and janes. They basically exercise for a living.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,466,504 times
Quote:

Hurtful...nah
Laughable...for sure

I guess they are making seats larger?
Airline Seat Sizes

I dunno. I feel cramped in the avg size seat and I am not large or tall. First class seats are more than fine though.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,906,233 times
I think a lot of women feel the pressure to be very thin. I will never be able to be a size 0. I feel if I go lower than a 6 I may look like I'll need an intervention for an eating disorder because of my body shape. I've had a couple of doctors last year throw me into a mid-thirties crisis if you will. One told me I'll never get off my medications for BP and diabeties and maybe he's right but I'm trying my hardest to prove him wrong. My goal isn't to be size 0. My goal is to become kicka$$ strong and fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty