U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Actually, i just have to ask you. Where do you find these people?? Are there actually people like this? And i thought my sister dated some real losers... but her ex boyfriends don't hold a candle to these awful guys you get stuck with. My sister's guys were the slacker type with no job, who always bummed money off her. But these guys you find are just cruel, awful human beings!
I don't date often and at that point I was so happy to finally have a guy who wanted to be my boyfriend (only my second in my life) that I think I put up with a lot more than I should have. The mistakes of someone in their early 20s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My ex got on my case constantly about losing weight. He hung pictures in the bathroom of super skinny runway models and went so far as to throw away most of my food and only left lettuce and veggies. He was very vocal about wanting me to be at the 120# mark, as that was his 'goal' for me.

I've mentioned on here before that when I graduated from college (for the third time...) instead of congratulating me, my aunts told me I should lose weight.

So yeah...it does happen.
That's not society.
That's a bunch of aholes.
Do you always let a bunch of aholes try and tell you what to do?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's not society.
That's a bunch of aholes.
Do you always let a bunch of aholes try and tell you what to do?
Now? No.

I chalk it up to immaturity and being relieved that I finally found a guy that was willing to be my boyfriend. Sadly, that was my last (and basically only) relationship.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,593,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't date often and at that point I was so happy to finally have a guy who wanted to be my boyfriend (only my second in my life) that I think I put up with a lot more than I should have. The mistakes of someone in their early 20s
That guy deserves a good punch in the mouth.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM

448 posts, read 584,576 times
I have a lil extra meat on my bones.

Men are always sniffing and drooling after me.

I cannot relate to this thread.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM

12,131 posts, read 8,102,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
you're kidding, right? the majority of people i see walking around nowadays are disgustingly overweight...both sexes. the only pressure i see is on belt buckles and waist linings of trousers.

So you buy into the idea that everyone should look like a supermodel? How superficial is that? Sure people should maintain a healthy weight & take better care of themselves. If you expect do only date those who look like a model your going to have a sad lonely life & I wish you luck. Your going to need it.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,985,638 times
I can't speak for everyone else, but I put the pressure on myself. It's one of my flaws. I have seven children and am in great shape, which is something people seem so fascinated by. When they're telling me how great they think I look, I'm holding onto that for dear life and start feeling I have to stay in shape now because now that they saw it and pointed it out they expect it of me and if I don't stay in shape I'll disappoint people or they'll say I've let myself go. Before getting into shape (and you can't see my ribs BTW), I never felt pressured by society or anyone around me. It's all me. With that said, I love being fit so in that respect the pressure I put on myself is good for me.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 AM

634 posts, read 784,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Does society put too much pressure on women to be extremely skinny?
Absolutely not. "Society" does not put pressue on women to be "extremely skinny" so as to show their ribs. No one wants to be extremely skinny and almost no one finds extremely skinny to be attractive. Just as almost no one finds fat/obese to be attractive. Almost everyone finds healthy body to be attractive.

I think an intelligent person wants to be HEALTHY and should put pressure on themselves and thier loved ones to be healthy. This, I am okay with and fully support.

Last time I looked, which is everyday, the women who are considered sexy or sex symbols of today are not "extremely skinny". In fact, look at how many big stars/celebs there are with limited talent who became famous basically for being sexy (i.e., not skinny and not fat) - Jennifer Lopez (world famous butt), Kim Kardashian (entire body is legendary), Jessica Biel (incredibly fit body). In fact, its very difficult to name any "sex symbols" of today, who are "extremely skinny" because really, there arent any.

Speaking as a man, I dont find "extremely skinny" women to be pysically attractive. Ally McBeal? - Not attractive. Kate Moss? - not attractive. Only one I can think of who comes close to being extremely skinny and is still considered somewhat attractive is Kella Ripa but mainly because she's FIT.

Being FIT will ALWAYS trump being skinny. But EVERYTHING trumps being overweight.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I can't speak for everyone else, but I put the pressure on myself. It's one of my flaws. I have seven children and am in great shape, which is something people seem so fascinated by. When they're telling me how great they think I look, I'm holding onto that for dear life and start feeling I have to stay in shape now because now that they saw it and pointed it out they expect it of me and if I don't stay in shape I'll disappoint people or they'll say I've let myself go. Before getting into shape (and you can't see my ribs BTW), I never felt pressured by society or anyone around me. It's all me. With that said, I love being fit so in that respect the pressure I put on myself is good for me.
That is self inflicted pressure and I don't feel sorry for you if you feel the NEED to please others instead of doing what you do to make yourself happy and be healthy. Who the hades cares what "others" expect of you? If you do you need to seek therapy to get over your issues. Your bolded statement is NOT TRUE, IF you really did NOT CARE or allow others to pressure you then you would not by your own admission "start feeling I have to stay in shape now because now that they saw it and pointed it out they expect it of me and if I don't stay in shape I'll disappoint people or they'll say I've let myself go."
(Read a few sentences above the bolded post).

So you are contradicting yourself within the span of one paragraph. So which is the truth?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 AM

78 posts, read 114,945 times
What's wrong with pressure to be healthy and in shape?

If anything that's a good thing. Too many lard asses want us to pander to them and say it's okay to be fat when it's clearly dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty