U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 AM

13,230 posts, read 11,754,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
What does everyone think about this? Here's the chance for you ladies to sound off if you think society's expectations for weight are unreasonable.
I've always been thin so I don't feel any pressure to be extremely skinny. I would like to have perfectly flat abs since that's unfortunately the area where I store extra weight, but I'm not that concerned about it at this point. If I was, I would stop eating cookies and other junk food but that hasn't happened yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScience View Post
What's wrong with pressure to be healthy and in shape?

If anything that's a good thing. Too many lard asses want us to pander to them and say it's okay to be fat when it's clearly dangerous.
I have said this a few times here and will repeat myself, though I fear the message will once again be lost on some. You teach overweight people to value themselves because they need to be able to lose weight FOR THEMSELVES. Weight loss starts with self acceptance. It has to because the individual has to make the decision that he or she is worth the effort and discipline that it takes to lose the weight. Without this they are doing it for the wrong reason are are much less likely to stick with it through adversity or setbacks. Referring to overweight people as "lard asses" and accusing them of wanting us to "pander to them" (a wildly overstated and inaccurate generalization that no intelligent person would allow himself to be caught dead making) does nothing to help the situation.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 AM

921 posts, read 1,697,714 times
Quote:
What's wrong with pressure to be healthy and in shape?

If anything that's a good thing. Too many lard asses want us to pander to them and say it's okay to be fat when it's clearly dangerous.
Because the pressure is brought about by shaming people who are overweight. Many overweight people eat for emotional reasons, especially in reaction to feeling shame. So shaming them not only doesn't help them lose weight, it encourages them to eat more, thus aggravating the problem.

Plus, to get back to the original topic, the "ideal weight" that people are told they should be at is unhealthy for many people. A recent article in JAMA showed that the lowest mortality risk is associated with people classified as overweight (measured by BMI) instead of normal.

And health is more than weight. Even people at normal weight can be very unhealthy--high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, poor circulation all affect people of normal weight, too. But how many people--both women and men--get treated with outright contempt because of their blood pressure or their lipid panel numbers?

Can we finally stop the BS about "health" and just admit what the the pressure is really about--physique, plain and simple?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Because the pressure it brought about by shaming people who are overweight. Many overweight people eat for emotional reasons, especially in reaction to feeling shame. So shaming them not only doesn't help them lose weight, it encourages them to eat more, thus aggravating the problem.

Plus, to get back to the original topic, the "ideal weight" that people are told they should be at is unhealthy for many people. A recent article in JAMA showed that the lowest mortality risk is associated with people classified as overweight (measured by BMI) instead of normal.

And health is more than weight. Even people at normal weight can be very unhealthy--high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, poor circulation all affect people of normal weight, too. But how many people--both women and men--get treated with outright contempt because of their blood pressure or their lipid panel numbers?

Can we finally stop the BS about "health" and just admit what the the pressure is really about--physique, plain and simple?
Very well said. Thank you for addressing the elephant in the room.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 AM

78 posts, read 114,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I have said this a few times here and will repeat myself, though I fear the message will once again be lost on some. You teach overweight people to value themselves because they need to be able to lose weight FOR THEMSELVES. Weight loss starts with self acceptance. It has to because the individual has to make the decision that he or she is worth the effort and discipline that it takes to lose the weight. Without this they are doing it for the wrong reason are are much less likely to stick with it through adversity or setbacks. Referring to overweight people as "lard asses" and accusing them of wanting us to "pander to them" (a wildly overstated and inaccurate generalization that no intelligent person would allow himself to be caught dead making) does nothing to help the situation.
By 2030 86% of Americans will be obese. You keep trying to nice, soft approach and get them to accept themselves, and watch the obesity levels rise furthe. These people need a kick up the backside. Few things in this world makes me more angry than a fat parent who allows their own children to become fat. They know how unhealthy the junk food is, and yet they still don't mind feeding their own children poison. It's fvcking selfish, and it's child abuse. I see it all the time. This is why I have no sympathy.

I don't see anything wrong with pressure on women to look slim at all. Instead of deluding themselves into thinking they're "curvy", they need to realize that they will soon pay the price for being gluttons, and desperate men who give them attention only want them for a quick pump and dump. The vast majority of men would be embarrassed to have a fat broad on their arms. You never see a rich, successful male with a fat woman by his side. It's only the broke ones.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
By 2030 86% of Americans will be obese. You keep trying to nice, soft approach and get them to accept themselves, and watch the obesity levels rise furthe. These people need a kick up the backside. Few things in this world makes me more angry than a fat parent who allows their own children to become fat. They know how unhealthy the junk food is, and yet they still don't mind feeding their own children poison. It's fvcking selfish, and it's child abuse. I see it all the time. This is why I have no sympathy.

I don't see anything wrong with pressure on women to look slim at all. Instead of deluding themselves into thinking they're "curvy", they need to realize that they will soon pay the price for being gluttons, and desperate men who give them attention only want them for a quick pump and dump. The vast majority of men would be embarrassed to have a fat broad on their arms. You never see a rich, successful male with a fat woman by his side. It's only the broke ones.
I have a Master's degree and make six figures a year. I may not be "rich" but I am far from broke. You would consider my wife fat. No matter, based on the few posts of yours I've read, she can run intellectual circles around you.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Quote:
Does society put too much pressure on women to be extremely skinny? I think it's awful when a woman feels pressured to be so thin that you can see her ribs.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not supportive of the fat acceptance movement. If a woman wants an attractive man, she should make a reasonable effort to stay in shape herself. But i think some guys have crazy expectations for women's weight. It's sad how many women and young girls develop eating disorders to conform to these expectations. It's rather cruel of us as a society.

What does everyone think about this? Here's the chance for you ladies to sound off if you think society's expectations for weight are unreasonable.

I don't think being a healthy weight is unreasonable. How one goes about it can be.

I think young men are more like this than adult men. Adult men seem to have a wider range of what they think is attractive in weight and looks.

You don't get an eating disorder because your boyfriend called you fat. You were already heading there if it impacts you.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My ex got on my case constantly about losing weight. He hung pictures in the bathroom of super skinny runway models and went so far as to throw away most of my food and only left lettuce and veggies. He was very vocal about wanting me to be at the 120# mark, as that was his 'goal' for me.

I've mentioned on here before that when I graduated from college (for the third time...) instead of congratulating me, my aunts told me I should lose weight.

So yeah...it does happen.

I have to laugh at his diet plan. Seriously...because its just so bad.

Crappy diet and anorectic weight goal. I would of made him pay for a nutritionist just so they could call him crazy and you would get a free nutritionist consult out of it. Ha!

Good you got away from that one. If you were a child he would of put in jail for abuse.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,692,102 times
And, too, I think a lot of men (and perhaps people in general) don't have any idea what women actually weigh. They may have it in their head that women who weigh more than 120 pounds are universally fat, but they may be looking at a woman who they think is totally hot who weighs 150. It depends on her build and her fitness level.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,444,324 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Does society put too much pressure on women to be extremely skinny? I think it's awful when a woman feels pressured to be so thin that you can see her ribs.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not supportive of the fat acceptance movement. If a woman wants an attractive man, she should make a reasonable effort to stay in shape herself. But i think some guys have crazy expectations for women's weight. It's sad how many women and young girls develop eating disorders to conform to these expectations. It's rather cruel of us as a society.

Very sad too, but I know me, I know I will never be that skinny without taking drastic measures and no longer being healthy, but I look friggin AWESOME being thick! my waist is small, my torso is in great shape, and I'm getting in better shape since I started taking hot yoga (so fun but so hard) and I'm about to embark on my Insanity journey to challenge myself. I love working out, I no longer look at the media nor do I listen to what they say is the "ideal" womy, if a guy what's that type of person, I'm not stopping him, and I could care less. I'm happy being me, and most ladies need to look at themselves and ask if they are happy with who they are. If they are, bump what everyone is saying, turn off the tv, stop divulging in entertainment gossip, and start looking at yourself. If you don't like what you see and who you are, stop making excuses and get out there and do something about it. Everyone wants a quick fix, and expects someone else to work for them, and then they reap all the benefits. You just can't do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty