U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 AM

8,696 posts, read 7,770,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And, too, I think a lot of men (and perhaps people in general) don't have any idea what women actually weigh. They may have it in their head that women who weigh more than 120 pounds are universally fat, but they may be looking at a woman who they think is totally hot who weighs 150. It depends on her build and her fitness level.
This is so true! If you think a woman is attractive, what does it matter what the number on the scale is? Does she become less attractive because the scale says 150 but you guesstimated she must be 120 based on....looking at her?

Most, if not all, people would look at me and call me slender, but if I told you what I weighed, many would say I'm "overweight" based on the number, with no regard to my height and build. Magazines also tout the ideal body shape/size for women based on young women who haven't finished developing. My body at 40 is not the same as it was at 20, nor should it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,444,715 times
Default Healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScience View Post
What's wrong with pressure to be healthy and in shape?

If anything that's a good thing. Too many lard asses want us to pander to them and say it's okay to be fat when it's clearly dangerous.

Healthy does not mean one has to be skinny. Healthy can take on meaning for each person. I can run a skinny person in the dust, I can bench 300 lbs, I can do some extreme leg lifts, I have a lot of drive and stamina, I'm limber, and I love to exercise, but me being a size 0-4?? Forget about it! It's not for my body. Maybe some it is but not for me, now if I become a bulimic or aneorxic chic I'm sure I can make it to that weight that is "ideal" for me, but I will no longer be healthy.

I understand about the grotesquely flabby people, and yes, they need to better manage their health and the health of their children, but then what can you do if you hit rock bottom and the cheaper foods are the preservative packed processed foods or the food pantry only gives the family starchy, sugary, fat laden foods? Of course this is another topic so I will not hijack this thread. People need to start being more active in their life.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Unrealistic weight expectations? Naw. Unrealistic body expectations? Yup. If you don't have big boobs and a big butt then expect to be called anorexic, mannish, prepubescent, 12 year old boy, not a real woman, walking skeleton, etc. And no one bats an eye at these insults, either. Say that Kate Upton is chunky and you'll be torn apart. Say that Alessandra Ambrosio looks sickly and you get applauded as a defender of women.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,957,575 times
The truth is; most people don't know how many calories each of us REALLY need on a day to day basis. The average woman only needs 1700 or 1800 calories a day. The average man only needs 2100-2200 calories a day.
These are averages for the 1st standard deviation on a bell curve.
Many things can affect this. Are you a professional athlete (NFL, NHL, Olympian, etc) ? Do you do manual labor (construction, dancing, musician, etc). If the answer is yes, then you probably need more calories.
Most people don't know how many calories they consume per meal, per day.
And statistically, America IS overweight. And it cost the medical care industry BILLIONS.

Hollywood, the media, and people internalize the pressures more than anything.
Hollywood is what, .10% of Americas population, yet they are idealized because they are attractive.
It is a huge mess, and if people educated them self on how many calories that McDonalds/ Applebees/ Olive Garden lunch or dinner actually had, they would only begin to understand it. But, it tastes soooooooooo good, and I don't feel like cooking today. Right ?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Unrealistic weight expectations? Naw. Unrealistic body expectations? Yup. If you don't have big boobs and a big butt then expect to be called anorexic, mannish, prepubescent, 12 year old boy, not a real woman, walking skeleton, etc. And no one bats an eye at these insults, either. Say that Kate Upton is chunky and you'll be torn apart. Say that Alessandra Ambrosio looks sickly and you get applauded as a defender of women.

Depends on the company.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
What is wrong with being healthy? I gave up eating anything with milk in it because of my health. I can eat anything that has no milk in it. Meaning I do not eat milk, cheese, ice cream, bread, cake, pie, cookies, pancakes, ect. If milk went into producing it I gave it up.

The results are that I lost over 30lbs in the process and I am still losing weight. For me I want to live a long healthy life and anything that gets in the way of that goal is eliminated from my lifestyle. Oh and yes what I am doing is not a diet, but a lifestyle.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And, too, I think a lot of men (and perhaps people in general) don't have any idea what women actually weigh. They may have it in their head that women who weigh more than 120 pounds are universally fat, but they may be looking at a woman who they think is totally hot who weighs 150. It depends on her build and her fitness level.

LOL

Too true.
I think they look at celeb and playboy centerfold stats and actually believe what is written there.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,151,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
LOL

Too true.
I think they look at celeb and playboy centerfold stats and actually believe what is written there.

Or maybe we actually know about statistics and know what the academic research says on this topic.

Overweight is unhealthy, and as a biostatistician who has worked on obesity related research, that point is not up for debate.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM

921 posts, read 1,698,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What is wrong with being healthy? I gave up eating anything with milk in it because of my health. I can eat anything that has no milk in it. Meaning I do not eat milk, cheese, ice cream, bread, cake, pie, cookies, pancakes, ect. If milk went into producing it I gave it up.

The results are that I lost over 30lbs in the process and I am still losing weight. For me I want to live a long healthy life and anything that gets in the way of that goal is eliminated from my lifestyle. Oh and yes what I am doing is not a diet, but a lifestyle.
There is nothing wrong with being healthy or eating healthy food. No one ever said there was.

But weight and BMI are not the be-all and end-all of health. Health involves an awful lot of factors, and different people can have the same weight, height and body fat percentages, and have vastly different state of health. The original issue of this thread is about weight expectations, not health expectations.

The judgments being passed are not actually about people's health. It's about their weight compared to their height--in short, their physique and appearance. Because that's all the data people here have collected about others. Everything else has been an assumption about what their blood pressure, cholesterol, et al, must be like because of their physique and appearance.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Or maybe we actually know about statistics and know what the academic research says on this topic.

Overweight is unhealthy, and as a biostatistician who has worked on obesity related research, that point is not up for debate.

Well then you would know its not usually healthy to be 6 ft tall and 120 lbs.

Im pro santity. Not pro fat/thin to a diseased state.

Over or underweight is unhealthy. Eating poorly at any weight is unhealthy.

I just don't get the "freakout" about weight unless the person is living that lifestyle and it could possibly affect happiness as a couple if the person wanted someone highly involved in what they do.

For example you probably wouldn't have a good time on a rock climbing date with a smoker, obese person or couch potato of any weight. Then that stuff makes sense. Vanity only...nonsense unless there was a dramatic change from the start of dating. And even then you should be more concerned about the person's well being than their butt size. If they don't address the internal or health issues that could be causing this healthy state I could see the room for judgement if the habits were taken to a dangerous level logically.

I just think the number thing is part of the common male delusion. Most people guess my weight 20 lbs lighter these days because of the smudged numbers in media or through people lying about what they weigh to make it seem more flattering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty