U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,826,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Man posting here. I'm going to perhaps be a little contrarian here and say that I think a lot of the pressure on women to get skinny seems to come from other women almost as much as men. Me personally, I like curvy women who are big in the, uh, chest and gluteal regions, and if that means she's got a little chub around the waist then so be it; I'd rather have that than be with a scrawny bony woman. And maybe they won't publicly admit it, but guess what: many, many other men (at least in America, can't really say what foreign guys like) feel the same way as me. Some of you ladies in this thread seem to have had some bad experiences with guys who are weight nazis; I guess I would chalk this up to demographic factors, or hanging around a bunch of guys who are a bunch of unrepentant douchebags. But myself, I've personally been the guy saying I like her curves and that she shouldn't stress about it, while she's saying she needs to lose weight.
Yes, men want and desire the women who are naturally born with the ability to store fat in certain areas... but do they want to be seen with them in public? They may lust after the women who are a little chubbier (fat in the right places, I suppose) but they will almost always want to have a long term relationship with the thinner woman. There was actually a study on this that I'll try to find...it was shown that men were actually MORE attracted to the 'thicker' women, but didn't consider them worthy for a long term relationship..they rated the thinner women as less attractive, but said they would choose them for a long term relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It's not about being skinny its about being healthy. They are two different things.
No, it's about being skinny. My model friend down in California is one of the unhealthiest people I've ever met..she basically subsists on diet coke, cigarettes and fruit leather. But, people would automatically assume she's healthier than me because she's tall and thin, while I'm tall and not thin. I'm actually not overweight according to the BMI scale, but I can guarantee most people would still see me as fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,450,412 times
I recall one poster used to regularly claim that thin women were preferable as mates because all women would gain weight with time so at least thin women would end up chubby while chubby women would end up obese.

It's more than slightly flawed but I can see how someone could believe it if they weren't thinking too hard on the matter.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,233,363 times
Men on this board say the love curvy,thick women.
But they seem to forget 2 things...

Not every overweight woman is curvy,and not every skinny woman is flat.

Also,its just as unrealistic to expect all of a woman's extra fat to go to the right places.
Being extra curvy with very large breast and buttocks is extremely even more unrealistic.
As I always said,its actually more realistic for me to be Kate Moss skinny than extra extra curvy like Anna Nicole Smith(who had breast implants btw).
What if an overweight woman's extra fat went to her stomach,and none to her boobs or butt?
That is possible you know.. I bet men wouldn't prefer overweight woman then...

Most of this "extra curvy" business going on is a result of plastic surgery and injections,so men beware.
This goes for overweight as well as skinny girls.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,233,363 times
Quote:
This woman has a BMI of 34:

I can think of many things that come to mind upon looking at her, but "terribly unfit" isn't really one of them. And lets say she is a little out of shape: I'd much rather spend my evenings with someone like her than some Jillian Michaels-looking fitness fanatic.
You are getting terms mixed up. What you are looking for I assume is extra cushioning regardless of weight? You don't like muscle tone(meaning low bodyfat)
She has a high BODYFAT level, so even if the scale says she is overweight,she could be obese(two different terms)d ue to bodyfat levels.
Bmi is outdated. Most people now use bf levels to gauge fitness.
Those women that are "solid" and not flabby who are 200 pounds have low bodyfat.
They truly are thick. Like Serena Williams. When most men say they like healthy,fit,but overweight women,I am assuming they mean built like her. But then,I hear most men say they don't like muscles on women. So when men say they like healthy,overweight women,and then I see they don't like Serens Williams body type,I don't know that they do like fit,over weight women.

Those women who shake,are jiggly,and weigh 200 lbs have high bodyfat levels. They are indeed "fat".
Most men seem to like this type of overweight women,"the soft type". Can't think of an example...maybe Chrstina Hendricks.

In any event,I feel more pressure to be curvy more than being skinny,overweightor obese,because as I said,the 2 aren't exclusive.

So according to men(and this is just speculation) a woman can be overweight,twig thin,skinny,thin,obese,zaftig, as long as she has a small waist,big breasts,and big butts she is all good.

kim k isn't overweight btw...she is skinny.
Her and Kate moss are the same or within a few pounds of each other.
So why is one called disgusting all the time and the other one beautiful and curvy?
Its all because skeletal frame and where her fat settled(or surgeon put it at).

Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,441,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Thank you!! Thank you! Thank you!!! You are right.

As for the other post above who said guys have no idea how to estimate what a woman weighs, you are right. We dont really care what a woman weights, we care even LESS about what size pants, blouse, dress she wears. We care about #1) How does she LOOK?; and #2) If she looks fit/healthy. Nothing else matters.

Your scale can say you are 180 pounds at 5' 10" tall, if we like your entire package of how its put together AND you are FIT and HEALTHY, we dont care what the scale says. Its what OUR EYES TELL US.

EDIT: Id like to add that really, really, really, we do not care about what size clothing you wear. My wife has a closet full of size Petite - 0- S - XS - Med and a bunch of Ralph Lauren stuff that says size 2P. I've never even heard of size 2P before. Never tell a guy what size clothes you wear because we dont care, and basically, lets be honest, designers will their goofed up sizes can put size 0 on one thing, and another designer would put 2 on that same size item.

EDIT #2 - Instead of posting again I'll just add: BMI is flat out baloney and should not be used, discussed, included as part of the conversation or anything similar. Its completely useless, especially when talk is of people who are fit/healthy/exercise a lot.
BMI is a rough tool for those in mirror denial. Its also a good tool to combine with body fat checks when you are just starting to get fit or are of normal fitness level and NOT athletic. BMI is NOT for athletes and that is a given. It is designed to be used by everyday people.

You may be healthy above or below BUT you have to do a body fat check to make sure. BMI is easier to track and measure than body fat.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
This woman has a BMI of 34:

I can think of many things that come to mind upon looking at her, but "terribly unfit" isn't really one of them. And lets say she is a little out of shape: I'd much rather spend my evenings with someone like her than some Jillian Michaels-looking fitness fanatic.
A good example of fat fit. She looks active but she could lose a few. Still fit enough to get away with sleeveless though.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, men want and desire the women who are naturally born with the ability to store fat in certain areas... but do they want to be seen with them in public? They may lust after the women who are a little chubbier (fat in the right places, I suppose) but they will almost always want to have a long term relationship with the thinner woman. There was actually a study on this that I'll try to find...it was shown that men were actually MORE attracted to the 'thicker' women, but didn't consider them worthy for a long term relationship..they rated the thinner women as less attractive, but said they would choose them for a long term relationship.

No, it's about being skinny. My model friend down in California is one of the unhealthiest people I've ever met..she basically subsists on diet coke, cigarettes and fruit leather. But, people would automatically assume she's healthier than me because she's tall and thin, while I'm tall and not thin. I'm actually not overweight according to the BMI scale, but I can guarantee most people would still see me as fat.
I wouldn't. That can't look good. Sinewy is the term that comes to mind with 20 somethings with 30 somethings faces from smoking and crappy diets. She should probably talk to someone about her eating.

Did the study have age ranges and various races and locations? American study?

Kinda busts up whats going on around my area. Most fat people are in relationships or married.
(combo of small town and city people)

Found this trying to find your study:

Why Stressed-Out Men Prefer Heavier Women | TIME.com

"Most men prefer leggy and lean women, Gisele BŁndchen lookalikes, right? Not necessarily. In fact, the body type that a man finds attractive can change depending on his environment and circumstances, a new study finds: when under stress, for instance, men prefer heavier women."
Read more: Why Stressed-Out Men Prefer Heavier Women | TIME.com

Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM

634 posts, read 785,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'd like to see that study. That seems opposite of what me, and just about every one of my guy friends think.

We are attracted to who we are attracted to. Who we want and/or choose for long term/short term relationships depend on the PERSON, not their body. I like curvy women (Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez, Halle Berry, types) and I like fit/athletic women (track and field sprinter bodies, Crossfit athletes, gym rat types) and will probably ALWAYS choose to date and get in relationships with women who physically look like that. It is up to the TYPE of woman she is on the INSIDE and our shared ideals and goals that will determin if she's long term material, short term material or just booty call. This is how I've always thought, and how just about all of my friends think.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,654,865 times
Quote:
Hey I won't argue with you; you can at least admit that it comes down to personal preference, a concept many posters on here seem to struggle with.
The aesthetic aspect is personal preference and I respect that. The health part - is physiology. Unfit is unfit.

The worst is when seriously fat people expect society to accommodate them. Airplane seats for example. As medical costs are increasingly spread across society then the impact of one's lifestyle choices is not such a personal thing. However it should be. If you choose to smoke, choose to be obese, you should pay more for your medical care.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,482,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So you buy into the idea that everyone should look like a supermodel? How superficial is that? Sure people should maintain a healthy weight & take better care of themselves. If you expect do only date those who look like a model your going to have a sad lonely life & I wish you luck. Your going to need it.
what the hell are you talking about? i didn't say anything of the kind. YOU'RE making false assumptions. more than half of all american adults are overweight/obese. we are the laughing stock of the world. don't worry about how my life is gonna be. worry about how your life will be with diabetes and heart disease. i have no sympathy for these people. the majority of the problem is laziness and lack of self-discipline. i'm not superficial, i just see obesity as a fundamental character flaw in another human being..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty