Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM

245 posts, read 385,991 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed this? When I have a flat belly and work out a little everything I try on (in the right size) fits. I can wear any cut and style, and even cheaper clothes/brands look better than nicer brands when 10 lbs heavier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
It is not a new observation that clothing cut for perfectly proportioned models and dress forms will fit better on nicely proportioned consumers.

I'll admit that it feels like a little revelation whenever you've dropped a few lbs and try on something new.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Yup. I workout and was blessed with a body I am happy with. I know whenever I try on clothes at almost any store I will like pretty much everything I try on because of my figure. I have to end up picking and choosing what to get and not get because I can't afford to buy everything.

Cheaper clothes will still look old faster and fall apart within a season.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Nothing will make your clothing look better than wearing properly fitting clothes, no matter what size you are (including the undergarments). You can look sloppy whether you are thin or not. Clothing can fit wrong no matter what your shape is.

The best thing is to know the shapes that suit your body type, and find brands with fit models that are similarly shaped as you. And finding a friendly tailor.

Personally, no matter what I weigh, I'll always be busty with a bigger butt and thighs. So picking out stuff that suits me will always be a challenge.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I agree, but I (a man) also look for shirts that are "slim fit" or "athletic fit" because if I get the regular fit, the shirts are baggy and look sloppy. I work out and weigh what I should, so I might as well show it off

Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,925 times
I disagree. When I worked out more, my figure made trying on jeans a bigger pain than it already is. My waist is much smaller than my hips, so I used to have to go through countless pairs of jeans to get away from the dreaded back gap thanks to my former bubble butt. Now that I haven't worked out in a while, my bubble butt has deflated making it easier to try on things, but has only made me realize that apparently jeans are cut for women with flat butts. I've already made up my mind to get back into the pool this semester, so I'll probably be complaining about shopping come March.

Now my biggest issue is finding long jeans in stores. The regular inseam used to be about 32", which is an inch shorter than my natural inseam but still doable, but now they've gone down to about 30"! That's ankle length for me.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,644 times
Uh, if you gain ten pounds, your clothes are probably not the right size anymore...therefore they probably don't look as good. Go up a size and see the magic difference.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM

270 posts, read 703,478 times
I can put on a $5 tshirt from Marshall and still look better than a $50 A&F. Workout rocks!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
You just need to wear the right size regardless of your weight. A size 8, which is small, trying to stuff herself into a size 4, isn't going to look nice.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Definitely. Think of the simplest outfit - jeans and a white tank top on a girl with a great toned body and it's going to look hot-hot-hot. However, on anyone with less than a perfect figure or any extra weight it would just end up looking sloppy and accentuating flaws. There are women who can wear a potato sack and look great. Unfortunately I'll never be one of them, because even with working out I still have a flat chest, wide protruding ribcage, very wide hips and chunky thighs and knees, and extremely pale thin/soft skin that prevents me from having that firm tanned look that even some overweight women can have. These are all characteristics that are impossible to correct with diet or exercise. In spite of that it did become way easier and more fun to try on and buy clothes after losing about 10-15 lbs that weren't technically excess weight but really affected my body image. Pants especially, and being able to wear flats or jeans tucked into boots or uggs without feeling like a lumpy snowman. It's easy to look great in, say, a pencil skirt and stilettos, but much harder to pull off the casual look without looking dumpy if you're on the curvy and/or short side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty