U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,586 times
Reputation: 716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
You are not very rational in thought. You ask women a question, they answer honestly, you twist their words (even after countless explanation), you refuse any kind of answer as dumb and illogical and then what??? What is your goal here. It's interesting you say this is a fascinating conversation...it's not a conversation at all when one party refuses to acknowledge the other side or to say they're disengenuous or flat out wrong.

SO, you're something else - the assumptions you make are just plain stupid. REALLY stupid. How on earth do you know what MY motivation is for putting on makeup...I've given you several reasons on several posts and you think it's wrong cause you don't understand? That says a lot more about your intellect than you'd probably like.

As for you chemistry teacher: at any time that you knew her, did you ask her directly why she didn't wear makeup or why she looked slobby? If you didn't, shut the H up. You have no idea. You're presuming that because she was brilliant in chemistry that she mastered brilliance in appearance and decided it wasn't important. What a foolish notion. You're young and not even close enough to mature to understand all the scenarios of a woman's life, let alone this trivial matter of makeup. I won't even feel sorry for you when an actual woman hears you theory and doesn't pop you in the mouth.

It was obvious, she was comfortable in her own skin and it was practical and took nothing away from her profession or ability to be a great professor. You come from the camp that it adds something to your profession/existence. I don't need to know you personally, you are either in the "camouflage" or "seduction" camp if you wear makeup.

I bet I can more accurately predict the reasons you wear makeup than you can guess my intelligence quotient.

If she pops me in the mouth, its because she can't backup her reasons and has to resort to violence. That is a classic trait of lesser being. I appreciate your wish of violence upon me though, shows your class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,922,877 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It was obvious, she was comfortable in her own skin and it was practical and took nothing away from her profession or ability to be a great professor. You come from the camp that it adds something to your profession/existence. I don't need to know you personally, you are either in the "camouflage" or "seduction" camp if you wear makeup.

I bet I can more accurately predict the reasons you wear makeup than you can guess my intelligence quotient.

If she pops me in the mouth, its because she can't backup her reasons and has to resort to violence. That is a classic trait of lesser being. I appreciate your wish of violence upon me though, shows your class
You absolutely cannot argue "it was obvious". No, you see what you want to see. You have no idea because you have no facts. You did not ask, she did not tell, you do not know. It's as simple as that. I actually do not wish violence on you. I hope you grow a brain. There's a difference.

And being the person you seem to be, through your words here, you can't or won't see beyond what you feel you already know. You had a preconceived idea, you've only gathered bits of info to add to that belief and you think all the women who wear makeup are just lying to you.

I said it CAN add something to your professional life - which is actually very different in environment from and academic life. You're too young/inexperienced to acknowledge viable and reasonable explanations...you're making it so difficult and it doesn't have to be that way. But you'll continue down this path...it's very narrow...hope you don't fall off.

And dude, it's hilarious that you say you can accurately predict why I wear makeup when I JUST TOLD YOU FIVE REASONS OR MORE WHY I DO. Yep, you're a genious all right. Way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 7,629,990 times
Reputation: 14991
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
I dunno, why do men wear clothes?

Everyone is craZY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,586 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I dunno, why do men wear clothes?

Everyone is craZY.

Clothes shield you from the elements? Isn't why you wear more or less based on the weather?

Last edited by derosterreich; 01-11-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25978
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It was obvious, she was comfortable in her own skin and it was practical and took nothing away from her profession or ability to be a great professor. You come from the camp that it adds something to your profession/existence. I don't need to know you personally, you are either in the "camouflage" or "seduction" camp if you wear makeup.
In some professions, the perception of your competence is related to how you are put together. Without a certain amount of polish, you aren't taken as seriously as you could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,885 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
How can you wear make-up for you? Do you walk around with a mirror to look at your own face? That makes zero sense, this is the weakest and most disingenuous excuse so far.

One cannot see their own face, whether you have make-up or not you do not see it.
When I look polished and "together," I know it - the look, and the confidence it adds, doesn't dissipate the minute I step away from the mirror.

Besides, when I make the extra effort to look enhance my natural looks and bring out my best features, like I've said before, my husband notices and is VERY appreciative.

This translates into more good vibes between us - more affection, more intimacy, more titillating conversations, and simply put - more fun together. And I love that he's proud to have me on his arm or by his side. We both love to dress up sharply, take the time to polish our own looks (he shaves and makes sure his haircut is trim and neat and I add a sparkle of eyeshadow and mascara and a shine to my lips) and hit the town together.

What's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Lexington
22 posts, read 36,935 times
Reputation: 16
Hello, I love well pampered women that wear makeup and nice clothes and heels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,885 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
If you consistently wear make-up while cooking, raking leaves, mowing the lawn, playing Legos with your kids, watching a movie with your husband and while out in public or at work, you have infinitely more logic associated with that consistent approach.

If you typically don't wear make-up when you are cooking, raking leaves, mowing the lawn, playing Legos with your kids, watching a movie with your husband but while your go to public places and work (strangers and lesser important people in your lives.) you tend to wear more make-up then you fail to give me any understanding why you put a higher level of importance on impressing strangers and coworkers.
Cooking - if I'm cooking a quick dinner, I already usually have makeup on. Cooking breakfast -no. I haven't gotten dressed yet and I don't put on makeup till I get dressed. Cooking preserves or something else that requires literally hours of standing over a steaming huge vat of something - makeup is not a good idea. Not only that, but my hair will be pulled back out of my face as well, and I'm likely to be wearing an old, ratty T shirt. About the same getup that I wear when I am...

Raking leaves/doing yard work -I'm a very hard worker when it comes to yard work, and we live in Texas where you're likely to work up a sweat even at THIS time of year working in the yard (it's 72 degrees here today). So, if I plan on doing yard work, I try to start early in the morning, and I don't put on makeup till after I'm done. Dripping mascara is unattractive.

Playing with little kids - If I've already gotten dressed that day, I've got makeup on. I have six granddaughters under the age of 10. I am already training them on the importance of immaculate nails on fingers AND toes, and on the importance of impeccable grooming!

Watching a movie with my husband - I'm assuming this would be in the evenings. Since I get dressed and put my makeup on in the morning, I've got that covered.

Seems to me like it's not MAKEUP that bothers you as much as it is the idea of a woman putting herself together to be attractive to people other than only her husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,885 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePiotr75 View Post
Hello, I love well pampered women that wear makeup and nice clothes and heels.
Ahhh, you sound like my husband. He takes it as a compliment when I dress up. That doesn't mean he's offended when I DON'T - common sense tells us that makeup, a full on manicure, or extra attention to hair and clothing is not always appropriate, or necessary. For instance, when we're just hanging around the house doing piddly projects like yardwork or cleaning out the garage - I don't expect HIM to shave that morning just to work around the house, and he doesn't expect me to put on eyeliner or lipstick either. However, BOTH of us expect the other to be clean, have fresh breath, and to run a brush through our hair, even if all we're going to do is go outside and sweat in the yard!

Sounds to me like the OP is insecure and immature. He doesn't like the idea of "his woman" putting effort into being attractive to people other than just him. That's the crux of his angst about makeup. He takes it as threatening when a woman wants others to think of her as attractive.

My husband, who is very emotionally mature and secure, would think I had lost my mind if I DIDN'T want other people - yes, including other men - to find me attractive. He considers my attractiveness to be an asset to both of us. He enjoys the fact that people respond positively to my looks.

There's a big difference between looking attractive and looking seductive. I save the seduction for the privacy of my own home. And I have clothing that may be a bit low cut, or sort of flirty, that I don't wear unless I am with my husband - because I'm wearing it for HIM, not for anyone else. But that doesn't mean it's wrong, or he's threatened, when I make an effort to look my best for the world in general.

Heck, when I get together with my grandchildren, I make sure that I'm dressed fashionably and that my hair looks cute and my nails are polished and my lipgloss and mascara are in place. My little 8 year old granddaughter was watching me fix my hair and put on my makeup the other day at her house and she said so sincerely, "MiMi, you are so beautiful!" Now - she's biased - but that made my day. Heck , it made my year.

If THAT'S "putting on makeup for other people" well then, GUILTY AS CHARGED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
 
1,459 posts, read 2,120,147 times
Reputation: 3084
Okay. I understand why you would ask. I don't find it creepy, or what have you.

I personally do not wear makeup on a daily basis. I do not wear makeup to grocery shop, to run to campus, to go to a museum. I like my skin, and I don't own much makeup. It is a once a month thing, if we go out after dark, to a wedding, etc.

I have had jobs where I wore it, because I discerned that it was beneficial for me to be perceived as attractive. I wear restrained eye makeup on job interviews, just like I'll actually "do" my hair. But yes, I'm going for a particular look then. Maybe it is artificial.

OP, if you and I were dating, I would probably do what I do now - not wear it. But this is the thing: there really are a whole pile of men that say how much they like natural beauty, but fail to understand that the women they are looking at are wearing skillfully applied neutral makeup (or are one of a tiny percentage of women who are just that gorgeous.) So you have a lot of women that spent years wearing it, and their self perception isn't just going to suddenly shift because they marry.

As to why others wear it: do you select clothes that are flattering in color or cut, as long as they are also comfortable? Do you have any features that you are uncomfortable with? I think I'm agreeing with your assessment, that women are trying to conceal what they dislike and highlight what they do like. But that is human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top