U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
 
1,459 posts, read 2,121,498 times
Reputation: 3084

Advertisements

I'm also curious - does your question extend to things like waxing the upper lip, waxing/plucking eyebrows, curling eyelashes? Is the only barometer 'does my signficant other like this?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Next stop Antarctica
1,797 posts, read 2,334,904 times
Reputation: 2056
Well young man, you may be right about why women wear makeup to a certain extent that is. I'm old enough to be your grandmother but I still do a little enhancing with the aid of makeup, I feel better for it, as I'm sure most women do. If it makes women feel good, so what. In today's world if you don't present yourself well you probably won't win that job in this male dominated world. We have to look the best we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: South Minneapolis
4,526 posts, read 5,056,507 times
Reputation: 6496
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Clothes shield you from the elements? Isn't why you wear more or less based on the weather?
Well, I go to Florida sometimes and it can be really hot there but people still have clothes on. Protection from the sun? They where clothes at night. How do you explain that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM
 
Location: South Minneapolis
4,526 posts, read 5,056,507 times
Reputation: 6496
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I absolutely want to discuss the underlying psychological reasons, I've stated that loud and clear over and over and it was the goal of this thread. Perhaps read a little more?

I can assure you this doesn't turn me on, a beautiful woman in the flesh does though.
Before you suggest that I "read a little more" you might take your own advice. I want to know the underlying psycological reasons for YOUR behavior... why you seem to need to get a women to say that she wears make up to sexually attract a man. You say it doesn't turn you on? What deep seated need does this fulfill for you? 'Cause frankly man, you arguing with all these women about their make up, it's getting a bit weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,056 posts, read 7,960,926 times
Reputation: 11449
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I know, anything that comes from scientists is boring and not relevant. If you naturally looked prettier than any make-up could enhance, then you wouldn't wear make-up to look "pretty" because there is no higher level of beauty to attain. To look pretty means you are unsatisfied with your base level of beauty and you feel the need to enhance it for psychological relief.

Wearing make-up, you fall into either the "camouflage" or "seduction" category, which what I was exactly looking for. I was in the psychological ballpark, but this was the clarification I was looking for.

It is really simple? No offense, but you apparently lack critical thinking on this subject.
It's pointless to argue with you. I'm just a dumb woman who wears makeup for pyschological relief and lacks critical thinking skills.

I find you offensive and insulting. This isn't a discussion, it's an ego boost for you to throw around "science" to explain why everyone else who disagrees with you is wrong. Even though as a man you can only speculate on the reasons as to why a woman would do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,056 posts, read 7,960,926 times
Reputation: 11449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Before you suggest that I "read a little more" you might take your own advice. I want to know the underlying psycological reasons for YOUR behavior... why you seem to need to get a women to say that she wears make up to sexually attract a man. You say it doesn't turn you on? What deep seated need does this fulfill for you? 'Cause frankly man, you arguing with all these women about their make up, it's getting a bit weird.
Reps times a million. It's definitely weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,987 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Reputation: 57076
OP, are you from northeast Africa? Why do you call yourself Nubian? Also, what is the significance of your user name?

And finally, why did you choose the photo you chose for your profile picture? Is it a photo of you or someone else? IF it is you, why did you choose a photo in which you're wearing hair products and have a carefully crafted look (you said it was a modeling photo - modeling photos are carefully staged, edited, etc)? Who are you trying to impress with this particular look (whether it's you or not) and why? You state you are single. When you are in a committed relationship, do you intend to keep yourself maintained at the level of the photo that you're using in your profile, which would include the use of a hair products and dressing "snappily" every single day of your life with your partner? Why or why not? Would you wear this look out in public as well as in the privacy of your home? If you would wear it out in public, would you consider such behavior to be seductive? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM
 
1,459 posts, read 2,121,498 times
Reputation: 3084
I think he's Austrian, based on the user name, and the given name Eller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
 
5,945 posts, read 12,724,028 times
Reputation: 6677
I don't like wearing makeup. I'm 3 years away from 40. My skin is still very nice and I have an attractive face, but people assume I am much younger than I am. Sometimes I feel they assume this because I am not wearing makeup. The other day I went to buy a lottery ticket and the guy would not sell me one without me having to show him my I.D. - he thought I was too young. ??? I actually get this kind of a lot. I think society puts a lot of pressure on women of all ages to look a certain way and I resent that, so in a way my refusal to wear makeup or fake nails or do fake tan or all the other things women feel they need to do these days to "fit in" or keep up with what other women are doing is my own little quiet sort of protest against unrealistic societal expectations. I look like my real unembellished natural self, and if people don't like it they can stop looking at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,987 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Reputation: 57076
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I don't like wearing makeup. I'm 3 years away from 40. My skin is still very nice and I have an attractive face, but people assume I am much younger than I am. Sometimes I feel they assume this because I am not wearing makeup. The other day I went to buy a lottery ticket and the guy would not sell me one without me having to show him my I.D. - he thought I was too young. ??? I actually get this kind of a lot. I think society puts a lot of pressure on women of all ages to look a certain way and I resent that, so in a way my refusal to wear makeup or fake nails or do fake tan or all the other things women feel they need to do these days to "fit in" or keep up with what other women are doing is my own little quiet sort of protest against unrealistic societal expectations. I look like my real unembellished natural self, and if people don't like it they can stop looking at me.
I think this is a great way to express your own personal beliefs and likes and dislikes and more power to ya!

I am assuming that, since you seem so adamant about self expression, you are supportive of women who do decide, for their own personal reasons, that they enjoy the "girly" activities such as getting manicures, pedicures, hairstyling, putting on a bit of lipstick or enhancing their eyes with some eyeliner or mascara or whatever. If THEY are doing it because THEY like to do so, that's fine, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top