U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
 
1,055 posts, read 2,056,764 times
Reputation: 1216

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
It is logical. Humans want to look their best, so some women use makeup for this reason.

Yes, some women overdo it, but the main point of makeup has always been to accentuate your features, not glop and cake it on to cover them and change into a new person.

Yes, I would walk around without makeup around my partner. I walk around natural all the time. I wear makeup sparingly, but still I don't feel any reason to demonize it or the women who wear it.

Women who use makeup as a security blanket is another topic completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,875,203 times
Reputation: 3782
Clearly you think the only reason women put on makeup is to attract men. You are wrong so I won't bother to explain because you won't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
14,546 posts, read 11,526,450 times
Reputation: 21041
It makes us feel good.... as it livens our eyes and skin...nothing to do with attracting men..some hospitals advise women patients to use a little..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,828 posts, read 4,653,085 times
Reputation: 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I hope you are not as chauvinistic as this makes you sound. I don't wear makeup to "court men." Nor do I dress nicely, keep myself in shape, practice good hygiene, get attractive haircuts, or wear pretty jewelry to "court men." I like things that look nice. I enjoy them. I feel prettier with makeup, jewelry, hair done, and nicely made clothing than I feel with bed head, splotchy-skinned face, and a sweatsuit. Does my husband appreciate the effort I put into looking my best? Yes. Is it a cultural thing? Certainly. But ultimately I do it for me. Makeup (and all the rest) is fun and artistic.
Ditto. I wear makeup mostly because my skin doesn't look all that great and the color is a bit uneven. I like to look polished for MYSELF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
 
1,307 posts, read 642,352 times
Reputation: 2112
Interesting range of replies.

One comment. The use of makeup goes back more than 3,000 years in history. That we KNOW of. Also, the use of wigs and clothing, by both sexes, to enhance natural appearances. I think by this time we probably have something in our genetics to predispose us to this sort of behavior.

Look at who the person really is. Regard less how they present themselves. We all WANT to look good. Some of us are better able to do so than others, but we still WANT to. Have fun with the good-looking book, but when you want some serious reading, never judge a book by its cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 790,745 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
This is what I was going to say. Its very obvious the OP issue is not with women wearing make-up but the fact that he's insecure and fearful of being with a woman who puts effort into her appearence because she will attract male attention that he doesn't feel he can compete with.
Only thing I am fearful is mixing DNA with a women who has genetics that need covered by makeup for her to feel socially acceptable.

Fear of competition? If she doesn't want to be with me then so be it. That part is vetted out before you get married (hopefully).

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 790,745 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Clearly you think the only reason women put on makeup is to attract men. You are wrong so I won't bother to explain because you won't get it.

You don't have to explain. We have already covered this pretty thoroughly now, makeup is used for either for "camouflage" or "seduction" psychologically speaking.

Thanks for the interest though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,115 posts, read 32,791,964 times
Reputation: 57267
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
You don't have to explain. We have already covered this pretty thoroughly now, makeup is used for either for "camouflage" or "seduction" psychologically speaking.

Thanks for the interest though.
"We" haven't reached this conclusion. "You" have. Big difference.

REALLY big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
14,546 posts, read 11,526,450 times
Reputation: 21041
This is a myth held by some men thinking everything is done for them..... and believe me its not.... IM 65 now. so hardly hot tottie for the boys but I wont leave the house without my mascara and a little foundation.. jeez I wont go to empty the bin without it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
 
Location: not where you are
7,928 posts, read 7,279,900 times
Reputation: 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
This is a myth held by some men thinking everything is done for them..... and believe me its not.... IM 65 now. so hardly hot tottie for the boys but I wont leave the house without my mascara and a little foundation.. jeez I wont go to empty the bin without it
Yep, I'm there with you, it's just a natural reflex these days. Actually get approached more when not wearing make-up, so really has nothing to do with wanting to attract anyone for many of us. But really Some minds are worth wasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top