U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,234,852 times

Advertisements

Why? Simply because I can and want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think this is a great way to express your own personal beliefs and likes and dislikes and more power to ya!

I am assuming that, since you seem so adamant about self expression, you are supportive of women who do decide, for their own personal reasons, that they enjoy the "girly" activities such as getting manicures, pedicures, hairstyling, putting on a bit of lipstick or enhancing their eyes with some eyeliner or mascara or whatever. If THEY are doing it because THEY like to do so, that's fine, right?
Indeed. Though I have to admit, I sometimes look at a woman wearing makeup - especially if she is wearing quite a bit of it - and have to suppress a strong urge to scrub her face clean and see what she really looks like! Sometimes the makeup is distracting - but then again, maybe that's the whole point?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,720,009 times
It's not a matter of "needing" to wear makeup, it's a matter of wanting to, at times. 99 percent of the time I leave the house without makeup. I stopped wearing it 15 years ago, and it's made no difference in the way anyone has treated me. However, sometimes I just like the whole experience. Browsing in Sephora for various confections. The tactile sensation of applying product. The scent. The visual transformation. And, no, I don't look in the mirror 24/7, but I also like matching bra and panties and I don't go running around in public in my underwear.

I'll take the liberty of playing Mad Libs with the original post and substitute virtually anything that people do that is apparent to others with the "need to wear makeup", with the assumption (based on strenuous psychological research that's examined every single nook and cranny of human behavior, or course!) that said behavior is to hide something that one doesn't want others to see, or to gain some sort of validation. Why did you buy that car? Why that house in that neighborhood? Why did you go to that school? Et cetera. I'm sure that personal preference has nothing to do with it and that we're all like psychological tofu, eager to suck up the approval of others because we're rather bland without it.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
The scent is one of the reasons I choose not to wear it. When I was making the life transition of going from full-time mom to working mom and full-time student, I went through a period of trying to wear makeup. I thought it would help give me a more professional, polished "look" (as mentioned before, I look very young, which most people would think is a really good thing, but sometimes it's really not). Anyway - it's very hard to find makeup that does not have a fragrance, even the ones which say they do give me the sniffles and sneezes and irritate my eyes.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM

106 posts, read 161,129 times
I always wear eyeliner and mascara because it makes my lashes look fuller and my eyes look more defined. Sometimes I will wear a little blush to give my cheeks a little color and some shimmer, and when I am going out or working I wear lip balm and a dash of lipstick.
I don't like the whole painted face look so I keep it very minimal just to add some color to my face so I don't look pale and washed out and I feel like when I am not wearing eyeliner or mascara I look tired or something.
I work as a waitress/bartender so I take pride in my appearance when I work because in that business, if you're attractive (and you do a good job) you get better tips. I don't want to look like I just rolled out of bed and didn't take the time to work on my appearance.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I am a woman and I don't wear makeup -- except on VERY rare occasions. And even then it's only lipstick. (About once a year, if that.) To be fair though I might wear lipstick and eye shadow if I had a banquet or some BIG event...which I haven't had the need for in YEARS.

I think throughout history it's usually been the female of a species that's had to attract the male, so fast forward to today and that's still the case. Women think they're 'prettier' with makeup.

I wouldn't say I'm militantly anti-make up but decades ago, it dawned on me that MEN don't spend HUNDREDS of dollars on their hair, makeup, skin, hair etc. -- not to mention cumulative HOURS -- let's say a half-hour extra a day on those things just to leave the house -- why am I? I just decided I'm not doing it.

Plus not wearing makeup keeps the chemicals on my skin to an absolute minimum.

Women give all kinds of reason for wearing make up: even out skin tone, make whatever feature "x" go away, make me feel better, make me look better, enhance my looks....again ....it's mighty funny MEN don't feel the need to do all that.
Applied correctly, we usually ARE prettier with makeup. Who cares? There's nothing wrong with taking your natural beauty and enhancing it. It's not always about attracting men. I mean, maybe it was for you, but for a lot of us it's something we do whether we're going to be around men or not. I could be spending the day with just my sisters, and every one of us would be dressed nicely with a little makeup and decent hair. We're girls like that.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
One of the reasons is to widen the gap between looking neutral and being more feminine. In America, many value men being very manly, and women very feminine.

Cuturally, it tends to be the burden of the 'weaker sex' to prove their worth appearance-wise. And the other to show their braun either by muscular mass, money, or both.

Hence the wide spread acceptance of fake look when the occasions call for it.

Sad to say fake is the new normal.
Women have been wearing makeup for thousands of years. It must be hardwired into us some sort of way, or it wouldn't be a practice that literally transcends ethnic groups AND millenniums.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM

110 posts, read 176,429 times
Some women don't know how to apply makeup. They end up looking like clowns.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM

946 posts, read 789,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Why does it always have to matter what "men" do. I'm not a man, I'm a WOMAN and I don't care to base my decisions/wants/needs on what men do/think. If I were a man maybe I would care but since I'm not I don't. Which is why I don't wear make-up for men or to attract them either. I do just fine attracting men without make-up as well as with make-up. I wear make-up because I like the way it makes me feel/look, the same as how I feel/look when I put on my Jimmy Choos and Valentino clutch. It is a personal expression that has nothing to do with anyone but me. If a man doesn't like it so be it, just like I have the right not to like a man under 6ft tall, not clean cut, etc.

I don't care about or want to be equal to men, I like being a woman and the choices being a woman allows me. I keep my hair, skin, nails, etc. in great shape for me and so I can look MY best.
Why do you spend money on a Valentino clutch and not a lesser expensive one? You are buying it for the psychological impact it makes on more than likely other women. You want to show other women you have style, you own expensive things and it is to one up them.

The amount of disingenuous remarks on this thread is soooo heinous. It's like people literally feel the need to lie to complete strangers in order to retort against a thread that they don't like.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM

946 posts, read 789,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Applied correctly, we usually ARE prettier with makeup. Who cares? There's nothing wrong with taking your natural beauty and enhancing it. It's not always about attracting men. I mean, maybe it was for you, but for a lot of us it's something we do whether we're going to be around men or not. I could be spending the day with just my sisters, and every one of us would be dressed nicely with a little makeup and decent hair. We're girls like that.

You aren't expressly prettier with makeup. It is subjective and not a hard and fast rule. It is the prevailing thought that women are prettier with makeup, but hardly fact.

I would assume you all dress up and do your hair because you don't want to be the slob of the group. Which again, is a psychological message being sent.

I see someone who wasted time out of their life to dress nicely and impress their own sisters in some convoluted way, you see it as looking pretty and we are just girls. To each their own interpretation, practicality is the sexiest and most dominant genetic trait imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty