U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,935,694 times
Reputation: 6122

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As a woman who has been told that I wouldnt be considered for a promotion and that it looked like I didn't take my work seriously because I didn't wear makeup and do my hair nicely, I'll kindly call BS on this.

I have also been involved with HR in companies and if a woman doesn't look 'polished' we would often pass because she looked like she didn't care about her appearance.

I wear makeup here and there and I work in a windowless office underneath an airport and the only interactions I have are with ops on the radio. Why do I wear makeup? Because sometimes I feel like it, and sometimes I have a bit of extra time before I leave for work. No other reasons.
And even when we get an answer like this: reasonable, used examples, thoughtful...the OP still thinks you're wrong, Jet. The examples you use are great and I appreciate all that you're saying. Perhaps I'm not expressing myself as clearly as this post, but I think it's an opinion shared by many women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,232,434 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No it's not, it's being hypersensitive and overly dramatic. Women are not being attacked by any stretch, by asking why women feel the need to present a false image in order to feel secure or confident. It's that simple. The op hasn't insulted anyone. He has been forced to respond in kind.
If that were the only thread of this kind, I would agree with you. But this board is FULL of threads like this, complaining about every little thing "women" do. Why do women wear make-up? Why do women shave? Why do women wear revealing clothing? Why are women so fat/anorexic? Why do women get plastic surgery? And the conclusion is always the same: because they are desperate for male attention You don't have to be a "feminazi" to notice the blatant misogyny on this board. If these men are into obedient wives who don't shave, don't wear make-up, don't do plastic surgery and cover up from head to toe, there are places in the world where you can find them in abundance.

Also, it would be different if men were equally criticized for their supposed "flaws" as women but this is clearly not the case. Where are the threads about why men shave, why men care so much about being muscular, why men wear unfitting clothes, why men get beer bellies when they're over 40, why men do comb-overs when they get bald, you get the picture Not that I care about any of these topics but it would be nice to have some balance, instead of the (negative) focus being entirely on women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,466,031 times
Reputation: 4238
[quote=JetJockey;27888853]As a woman who has been told that I wouldnt be considered for a promotion and that it looked like I didn't take my work seriously because I didn't wear makeup and do my hair nicely, I'll kindly call BS on this.

quote]

I call bs on that. You could have complained to someone higher, and made a case for yourself, if that ever really happened. Now if you refused to wear deodarant, they have a case. If you are extemely unkempt, then perhaps I'd side with them.
It's no different than promoting someone, saying it's because they look good, as if nobody cares about the work getting done.
What a ridiculous argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,466,031 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
If that were the only thread of this kind, I would agree with you. But this board is FULL of threads like this, complaining about every little thing "women" do. Why do women wear make-up? Why do women shave? Why do women wear revealing clothing? Why are women so fat/anorexic? Why do women get plastic surgery? And the conclusion is always the same: because they are desperate for male attention You don't have to be a "feminazi" to notice the blatant misogyny on this board. If these men are into obedient wives who don't shave, don't wear make-up, don't do plastic surgery and cover up from head to toe, there are places in the world where you can find them in abundance.

Also, it would be different if men were equally criticized for their supposed "flaws" as women but this is clearly not the case. Where are the threads about why men shave, why men care so much about being muscular, why men wear unfitting clothes, why men get beer bellies when they're over 40, why men do comb-overs when they get bald, you get the picture Not that I care about any of these topics but it would be nice to have some balance, instead of the (negative) focus being entirely on women.
baloney. Women have all the power, you are not victims of men, I would say it's mostly the other way around if truth be told. Men don't create your problems, you create them for yourself.

Look at Napolitano, she is one of the most powerful women in the world - I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,854,868 times
Reputation: 16226
[quote=claudhopper;27889630]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As a woman who has been told that I wouldnt be considered for a promotion and that it looked like I didn't take my work seriously because I didn't wear makeup and do my hair nicely, I'll kindly call BS on this.

quote]

I call bs on that. You could have complained to someone higher, and made a case for yourself, if that ever really happened. Now if you refused to wear deodarant, they have a case. If you are extemely unkempt, then perhaps I'd side with them.
It's no different than promoting someone, saying it's because they look good, as if nobody cares about the work getting done.
What a ridiculous argument.
And how would I have ever proven it? Plus, there WAS no higher up considering it was the owner of the company who told me that.

Call bs all you want, it doesn't change my experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 791,992 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As a woman who has been told that I wouldnt be considered for a promotion and that it looked like I didn't take my work seriously because I didn't wear makeup and do my hair nicely, I'll kindly call BS on this.

I have also been involved with HR in companies and if a woman doesn't look 'polished' we would often pass because she looked like she didn't care about her appearance.

I kindly call BS on this assertion. It is sexual harassment, and any good lawyer would have sued them sideways for any kind of verbal or written mention of makeup leading to a failure of promotion. On top of the legalities of that kind of situation, why would you even want to work at an employer where they hold sexual/aesthetic appeal over skills? Additionally, if you actually work in a windowless office with the only human interaction being through a radio how moronic is the management when they come to this conclusion?

A.) Sue them
B.) Work for a better company
C.) Potentially more to the story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 791,992 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
And even when we get an answer like this: reasonable, used examples, thoughtful...the OP still thinks you're wrong, Jet. The examples you use are great and I appreciate all that you're saying. Perhaps I'm not expressing myself as clearly as this post, but I think it's an opinion shared by many women.
I don't know her anymore than you. I can get a subtle read off people based on their reactions on this thread. You seem like a loose cannon, that will defend "women" at all costs because this is viewed as an attack on all women. We have seen that there are plenty of women who buck the trend, agree that makeup is optional in every aspect of life and not necessary for any of the reasons people have stated.

Of course when someone who makes actual sense on the topic I am going to agree with them. It is coherent with the psychological professionals assessment of why it is used. Some women can connect the dots on this thread, other clearly cannot. Lying to yourself about why you do something and then trying to personally attack people to create a distraction gets you little respect with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,935,694 times
Reputation: 6122
Whatever, dude. You got it all figured out. Good for you. You and claudehopper can have each other. So narrow are you both that you can't concede that there are other aspects OUTSIDE of your tiny little worlds. I never said this was an indictment against all women, but rather, how can you assert you know the answer in every woman's case. You think it's cut and dry out there in that big world you've not seen? Some truths hold true for some women...and yet you want to fight it. Don't give a crap...just thought I'd give perspective which makes me a loose cannon. Your inabilities are weighing you down, honey, not me. Good luck though....I think you'll both need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 791,992 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Whatever, dude. You got it all figured out. Good for you. You and claudehopper can have each other. So narrow are you both that you can't concede that there are other aspects OUTSIDE of your tiny little worlds. I never said this was an indictment against all women, but rather, how can you assert you know the answer in every woman's case. You think it's cut and dry out there in that big world you've not seen? Some truths hold true for some women...and yet you want to fight it. Don't give a crap...just thought I'd give perspective which makes me a loose cannon. Your inabilities are weighing you down, honey, not me. Good luck though....I think you'll both need it.
I am narrow? You feel your perceptions are reality and I humbly disagree, yet I do so with science and professional input, not anecdotal experience and emotion.

I'm happy to listen to people who actually weave logic into their arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
39 posts, read 46,140 times
Reputation: 51
I read an arrogant, narcissistic, possibly educated snob who loves repeatedly using big words (the same ones mind you), to feel superior to others, or to just plain feel educated (because perhaps he's not viewed that way away from this forum).

Funny that the focus is on women ... things that make you go "hmmmm"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top