U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM

12,775 posts, read 9,437,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pttsbrgher View Post
I read an arrogant, narcissistic, possibly educated snob who loves repeatedly using big words (the same ones mind you), to feel superior to others, or to just plain feel educated (because perhaps he's not viewed that way away from this forum).

Funny that the focus is on women ... things that make you go "hmmmm"!
Personal attacks like that are against TOS, you might care to review them. Were the words they used too big?
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM

3,687 posts, read 3,922,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Personal attacks like that are against TOS, you might care to review them. Were the words they used too big?
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
So when you called me a feminazi, you were just disagreeing with me?

KEWL!

Pot meet kettle.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM

39 posts, read 45,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

KEWL!

Pot meet kettle.
LOL ... and yet the OP is getting away with a lot of little personal attacks here and there throughout this thread.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM

12,775 posts, read 9,437,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

KEWL!

Pot meet kettle.
You're inventing something that never happened. I said I can't stand feminazi's in general terms, it wasn't directed at you - but you seem to want to take that personally. That's on you.
This kind of crap is going to get this thread shut down. Try to address the topic.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pttsbrgher View Post
LOL ... and yet the OP is getting away with a lot of little personal attacks here and there throughout this thread.
I've noticed.

And while I think I could still discuss this topic, I feel that some folks just only want to feed their side without opinions from a different side. It's rather tired now...

Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,216,951 times
Quote:
baloney. Women have all the power, you are not victims of men, I would say it's mostly the other way around if truth be told. Men don't create your problems, you create them for yourself.

Look at Napolitano, she is one of the most powerful women in the world - I rest my case.
Where are all those women in power? How many female heads of state or business managers do you know compared to males? And I don't know how you can say with a straight face that men are mostly victims of women rather than vice versa. Maybe you should take a look at rape or domestic abuse statistics Or are you one of those people who believe those poor innocent men who raped or murdered women were simply victims of female provocation, like the chauvinist pigs in this thread do?

You know one successful woman and that's enough for you to conclude that women in general are more powerful than men. That's child's logic.

Anyway, I wasn't even talking about "the world", I'm talking about this forum. If you take this thread in isolation, it doesn't seem so bad but you should look at it in context. This is just one of many threads that criticize what women do. Imagine if about 90% of the threads on this board were criticizing why black people do what they do. Why do black people wear weaves? Why do black people bleach their skin? Why do black people get plastic surgery? And the conclusion of every thread is that black people simply want to be white. Would you NOT say that this is racist? Would you NOT wonder why there was so much focus on black people and not other races? This is no different and to dismiss anyone who raises objections to this as a "feminazi" is simply an easy way not to deal with the reality of gender discrimination.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
You're inventing something that never happened. I said I can't stand feminazi's in general terms, it wasn't directed at you - but you seem to want to take that personally. That's on you.
This kind of crap is going to get this thread shut down. Try to address the topic.
It certainly was NOT clear in your post. I literally laughed out loud when I read it because I couldn't be further from that term. And you calling people names is what's going to get it shut down, honey.

My claim about this topic is that the OP is sure he has all the answers to why women wear makeup. He's put those answers into two categories. He cannot fathom a world where a woman can't go to her boss or to HR to settle an unfair matter. He cannot (and from your comments, neither can you) fathom that Jet Jockey's examples happen in the real world. You can act all indignant but truth is truth. Who are any of us to say what happened to someone is insignificant or false? I believe by you taking the stance that you do, you are discounting her experience...which btw, you basically said in plain English.

I think the problem is that you expect people to act the right way...and the real world says that people rarely act the right way. But hey, if you live in a world where everyone is perfect, good for you. Again, I stand by my original statement where I said both you and the OP are narrow minded....at least here, based on your words.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM

946 posts, read 789,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Where are all those women in power? How many female heads of state or business managers do you know compared to males? And I don't know how you can say with a straight face that men are mostly victims of women rather than vice versa. Maybe you should take a look at rape or domestic abuse statistics Or are you one of those people who believe those poor innocent men who raped or murdered women were simply victims of female provocation, like the chauvinist pigs in this thread do?

You know one successful woman and that's enough for you to conclude that women in general are more powerful than men. That's child's logic.

Anyway, I wasn't even talking about "the world", I'm talking about this forum. If you take this thread in isolation, it doesn't seem so bad but you should look at it in context. This is just one of many threads that criticize what women do. Imagine if about 90% of the threads on this board were criticizing why black people do what they do. Why do black people wear weaves? Why do black people bleach their skin? Why do black people get plastic surgery? And the conclusion of every thread is that black people simply want to be white. Would you NOT say that this is racist? Would you NOT wonder why there was so much focus on black people and not other races? This is no different and to dismiss anyone who raises objections to this as a "feminazi" is simply an easy way not to deal with the reality of gender discrimination.
You clearly don't live in reality. Again, yelling things louder (virtually) than others and slamming them personally doesn't make your point better. It only adds to the foolishness it represents.

Browse The List
Net Worth Calculated August 2012 Rank Name Age Country Category 1 Angela Merkel

Chancellor, Germany

58 Germany Politics 2 Hillary Clinton

Secretary of State, United States

65 United States Politics 3 Dilma Rousseff

President, Brazil

65 Brazil Politics 4 Melinda Gates

Co-Chair, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

48 United States Humanitarian 5 Jill Abramson

Executive Editor, New York Times Co.

58 United States Media 6 Sonia Gandhi

President, Indian National Congress, India

66 India Politics 7 Michelle Obama

First Lady, United States

49 United States Politics 8 Christine Lagarde

Managing Director, International Monetary Fund

57 France Humanitarian 9 Janet Napolitano

Secretary, Department of Homeland Security, United States

55 United States Politics 10 Sheryl Sandberg

COO, Facebook

43 United States Technology 11 Oprah Winfrey

Entrepreneur, Personality

58 United States Celebrity 12 Indra Nooyi

Chairman and CEO, PepsiCo

57 United States Business 13 Irene Rosenfeld

Chairman and CEO, Kraft Foods

59 United States Business 14 Lady Gaga

Musician, Philanthropist

26 United States Celebrity 15 Virginia Rometty

President and CEO, IBM

55 United States Technology 16 Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner

President, Argentina

59 Argentina Politics 17 Ursula Burns

Chairman and CEO, Xerox

54 United States Technology 18 Meg Whitman

CEO, Hewlett-Packard

56 United States Technology 19 Aung San Suu Kyi

Chair and Parliamentarian, National League for Democracy, Burma

67 Burma Politics 20 Maria das Graças Silva Foster

CEO, Petrobras-Petróleo Brasil

59 Brazil Business 21 Marissa Mayer

CEO, Yahoo

37 United States Technology 22 Anne Sweeney

Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks, and President, Disney/ABC Television Group, Walt Disney

55 United States Media 23 Diane Sawyer

Anchor of World News, ABC, Walt Disney

67 United States Media 24 Angela Braly

CEO, WellPoint

51 United States Business 25 Susan Wojcicki

Senior Vice President, Google

44 United States Technology 26 Queen Elizabeth II

Monarch, United Kingdom

86 United Kingdom Politics 27 Julia Gillard

Prime Minister, Australia

51 Australia Politics 28 Nancy Pelosi

Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, United States

72 United States Politics 29 Arianna Huffington

Editor-In-Chief, Huffington Post Media Group, AOL

62 United States Media 30 Yingluck Shinawatra

Prime Minister, Thailand

45 Thailand Politics 31 Kathleen Sebelius

Secretary, Department of Health and Human Service, United States

64 United States Politics 32 Beyonce Knowles

Actress, Entrepreneur, Musician

31 United States Celebrity 33 Diane Von Furstenberg

Owner, Fashion Designer, Diane von Furstenberg Studio, L.P.

66 United States Business 34 Helen Clark

Administrator, U.N. Development Programme

62 New Zealand Humanitarian 35 Georgina Rinehart

Executive Chairman, Hancock Prospecting

58 Australia Billionaire 36 Amy Pascal

Co-Chairman, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony

54 United States Media 37 Margaret Chan

Director-General, World Health Organization

65 China Humanitarian 38 Jennifer Lopez

Actress, Musician, Personality, Philanthropist

43 United States Celebrity 39 Sheri McCoy

CEO, Avon Products

54 United States Business 40 Shakira

Musician, Personality, Philanthropist

35 Colombia Celebrity 41 Mary Barra

SVP, Global Product Development, General Motors

51 United States Business 42 Zhang Xin & family

Cofounder, CEO, Soho China Ltd.

47 China Business 43 Alice Walton

Chairman, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

63 United States Fashion and Retail 44 Laura Lang

CEO, Time Inc., Time Warner

57 United States Media 45 Angela Ahrendts

CEO, Burberry Group

52 United States Business 46 Sue Naegle

President, HBO Entertainment, Time Warner Cable

43 United States Media 47 Ellen DeGeneres

Comedian, Personality, Philanthropist

54 United States Celebrity 48 Safra Catz

President, CFO, Oracle

51 United States Technology 49 Laurene Powell Jobs & family

Founder and Chair, Emerson Collective

49 United States Technology 50 Rosalind Brewer

President and CEO, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart Stores

50 United States Business 51 Anna Wintour

Editor-in-Chief, Vogue, Conde Nast Publications, Inc.

63 United States Media 52 Helene Gayle

President, CEO, CARE

58 United States Humanitarian 53 Christiane Amanpour

Chief International Correspondent, CNN, Time Warner

55 United States Media 54 Rosalia Mera

Investor, Philanthropist

68 Spain Billionaire 55 Cynthia Carroll

CEO, Anglo American

56 United States Business 56 Cher Wang

Co-founder and Chair, HTC

54 Taiwan Technology 57 Abigail Johnson

President, Fidelity Personal, Workplace and Institutional Services, Fidelity Investments

51 United States Business 58 Padmasree Warrior

Chief Technology and Strategy Officer, Cisco Systems

52 United States Technology 59 Chanda Kochhar

Managing Director and CEO, ICICI Bank

Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I kindly call BS on this assertion. It is sexual harassment, and any good lawyer would have sued them sideways for any kind of verbal or written mention of makeup leading to a failure of promotion. On top of the legalities of that kind of situation, why would you even want to work at an employer where they hold sexual/aesthetic appeal over skills? Additionally, if you actually work in a windowless office with the only human interaction being through a radio how moronic is the management when they come to this conclusion?

A.) Sue them
B.) Work for a better company
C.) Potentially more to the story
No, I didn't sue and there was zero ways to prove it, especially considering it was a 19 year old girls word against a well respected older business owner. Plus, I lived in a small town and getting another job in that industry would have been impossible if I had sued. I had a friend who moved away because she was blackballed after filing a sexual harassment suit against her employer. I quit after that happened.

It was nearly 10 years ago..I'm not working there anymore.

And yes, its all true.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM

946 posts, read 789,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

Racism is not taboo amongst my circle of friends, nor should it be on CD (start your own thread perhaps?). You should be able to openly discuss anything you'd like, it is the beauty of the 1st amendment and no matter how brutal the subject all discussion, argument and exchange of thoughts promotes knowledge and thought (which is generally agreed upon as good). It has become "off-limits" solely because it is currently being used as a wedge in society and advancing certain causes.

With that being said, the point of this thread has nothing to do with weaves or black people (even though weaves have a quasi-correlation to facial makeup) but about the psychological aspect of why women range from wearing lots of makeup daily to sometimes/moderate amounts to those who don't. The self-perceived reason they do, and the psychologically agreed upon reasons, the reasons some do and some do not.

Again by your insulting measure of my understanding of women, there is simply nothing I could possibly know about a woman and their psychology because I simply am I man. Clearly this is absurd, men and women can read both the same or opposite sex's intentions in a host of areas. I really didn't want to come across that I "know the answer to everything" because obviously I do not, and the wisest people know they know very little in life. I simply know the prevailing, psychological reasoning for makeup but wanted to hear from the common woman as to why they think they do.

Some people are honest, some lie, some are confused, some are not. Ultimately it is like everything else in life.

I've learned a couple things from this thread

I knew this thread would probably bring out some hostile responses, but straw man arguments, bashing males as out of touch and the host of other reasons/excuses that have been mentioned are simply ridiculous and meant to derail the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty