U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,228,482 times
Reputation: 3401

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
You clearly don't live in reality. Again, yelling things louder (virtually) than others and slamming them personally doesn't make your point better. It only adds to the foolishness it represents.
I'm not yelling, lol. There were two words in my entire post that were in caps and that was merely done for emphasis. It's hard to intonate a written message.

Yes, when you single out the women that are succesful, it may seem impressive. However, if you had to make a list of successful men it would've been much longer. It is undeniable that high positions in society are overwhelmingly dominated by men. Only 18% of the US Congress are female, only 17% of mayors in the US are female, only 3 out of 9 justices on the SC are female, etc. (source). For business, it's even worse. Women represent just 3% of Fortune 500 CEOs and less than 15% of corporate executives at top companies worldwide (source). If you honestly believe that women are more powerful in society than men, YOU (again, emphasis) are the one who doesn't live in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Racism is not taboo amongst my circle of friends, nor should it be on CD (start your own thread perhaps?).
Why doesn't that surprise me?

Racism should never be tolerated, not in real life and not on the internet.

Quote:
You should be able to openly discuss anything you'd like, it is the beauty of the 1st amendment and no matter how brutal the subject all discussion, argument and exchange of thoughts promotes knowledge and thought (which is generally agreed upon as good). It has become "off-limits" solely because it is currently being used as a wedge in society and advancing certain causes.
You do not have a right to discuss anything you like when you are posting on a message board, that's what TOS are for. What knowledge and thought could possibly come from spreading hate speech?

Quote:
With that being said, the point of this thread has nothing to do with weaves or black people (even though weaves have a quasi-correlation to facial makeup) but about the psychological aspect of why women range from wearing lots of makeup daily to sometimes/moderate amounts to those who don't. The self-perceived reason they do, and the psychologically agreed upon reasons, the reasons some do and some do not.

Again by your insulting measure of my understanding of women, there is simply nothing I could possibly know about a woman and their psychology because I simply am I man. Clearly this is absurd, men and women can read both the same or opposite sex's intentions in a host of areas. I really didn't want to come across that I "know the answer to everything" because obviously I do not, and the wisest people know they know very little in life. I simply know the prevailing, psychological reasoning for makeup but wanted to hear from the common woman as to why they think they do.

Some people are honest, some lie, some are confused, some are not. Ultimately it is like everything else in life.

I've learned a couple things from this thread

I knew this thread would probably bring out some hostile responses, but straw man arguments, bashing males as out of touch and the host of other reasons/excuses that have been mentioned are simply ridiculous and meant to derail the thread.
I'm not sure why you even bothered to start a thread about this because it seems that you are not in the least interested in women's answers when they don't agree with you. Look at the way you phrased your OP, is it any surprise you're going to get hostile reactions?

You assume, just like many men on here do, that the only reason women wear make-up is to court men. That couldn't be further from the truth. I wear make-up because it makes me feel better to know that I look nice. I wear make-up when I'm home alone, when I'm with family or with female friends. I'm not looking for male attention, as hard as that may be for you to believe. Actually, it shouldn't be so hard to believe because men do the same. Why do men care about cars, is it just to attract women? If there were no women around, would you no longer be interested in driving the coolest cars? What about shaving, would you stop shaving completely if there were no women around?

What would you prefer that women do? Would you like women to never wear make-up? Would you like women to stop wearing make-up as soon as they've found a partner? I'm pretty sure most men would disagree with you on that

Edit: Also, I never said anything about your understanding of women, you're confusing me with another poster. There is no such thing as "the common woman", we are all individuals with our own opinions and reasons for doing things.

Last edited by LindavG; 01-23-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,932,077 times
Reputation: 6122
Yea, I love the part "some lie, some are honest, some are confused...." blah, blah, blah.

I promise, I'm not confused about why I wear makeup. I'm not lying about it. I don't like when complete strangers think I'm confused about my own process. It's comical. And by the way, let me make sure every reader here knows: I did not bash all men or even one man. I do not like your comments but that is not bashing you. I happen to like most of the men I meet...so you're really just reaching...again...

You really should read what these other posts...they're interesting and provide facts...I'm thinking maybe you're only a freshman in college...been away long enough to question things but not long enough to realize when you're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 791,230 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Yea, I love the part "some lie, some are honest, some are confused...." blah, blah, blah.

I promise, I'm not confused about why I wear makeup. I'm not lying about it. I don't like when complete strangers think I'm confused about my own process. It's comical. And by the way, let me make sure every reader here knows: I did not bash all men or even one man. I do not like your comments but that is not bashing you. I happen to like most of the men I meet...so you're really just reaching...again...

You really should read what these other posts...they're interesting and provide facts...I'm thinking maybe you're only a freshman in college...been away long enough to question things but not long enough to realize when you're wrong.
I love the part where you are not bashing men, then you conclude with a bash on me. I'm a professional, college graduate and hardly offended by your theoretical impression of where I am at in life, age or understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,932,077 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I love the part where you are not bashing men, then you conclude with a bash on me. I'm a professional, college graduate and hardly offended by your theoretical impression of where I am at in life, age or understanding.
Again with missing my point...and where on earth have I bashed all men? I've made it plain that I don't care for YOUR comments...not all men...good grief. Clearly, you're not willing to stretch your understanding to include all opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
39 posts, read 46,104 times
Reputation: 51
... and yet he's in the Michelle's Dress - Not flattering thread in the fashion forum commenting on her dress, hairstyle, etc., like it should have been better. BUT SHE'S MARRIED ... why should it matter? I don't believe the OP really believes what he's posted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,932,077 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pttsbrgher View Post
... and yet he's in the Michelle's Dress - Not flattering thread in the fashion forum commenting on her dress, hairstyle, etc., like it should have been better. BUT SHE'S MARRIED ... why should it matter? I don't believe the OP really believes what he's posted here.
Can't rep you again!

I know, she should not even want to try to be pretty...I mean, who is she fooling? Poser!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
414 posts, read 865,124 times
Reputation: 612
We're getting somewhat off-topic here, since the original discussion was why women feel the need to wear makeup.

But since it's been brought up, it seems relevant to point out that the "pay differential" is quickly reversing itself. Not evening out. Reversing.

In Pictures: 15 Jobs Where Women Earn More Than Men - Bakers - Forbes.com
Do Men Really Earn More Than Women? - Infographic - PayScale
Women win gender pay war in their 20s earning more than men of the same age | Mail Online
Income Gap Closing: Women On Pace To Outearn Men

In an attempt to put this thread back on the rails, I've been reading up on the topic quite a bit.

The 2004 Real Truth About Beauty study, conducted by Dr. Nancy Etcoff, Dr. Susie Orbach, Dr. Jennifer Scott, and Heidi D’Agostino, looked at 3,200 women, aged eighteen to sixty-four, across ten countries, and found that 68 percent of women used makeup products to feel more physically attractive. A 2008 study commissioned by the Dove Self-Esteem Fund studied girls aged eight to seventeen and discovered that 62 percent feel insecure or not sure of themselves. Seventy-one percent of girls with low self-esteem felt their appearance did not measure up and felt they weren't pretty enough. (Source)

Here are a few articles I've found about the culture and psychology of makeup. Mostly studies and surveys, one psychologist's opinion.

Half Of Women Are Dependent On Makeup, Study Says
A new study by the Harris poll, conducted on behalf of the Renfrew Center Foundation which researches eating disorders, shows that 44% of women feel unattractive without any makeup on. The study also found that one-quarter of women started wearing makeup at age 13 or younger. Glamour magazine also reported on this study, but I don't have a link for that.

Going make-up free is more stressful than a job interview | Mail Online
A poll of 3,000 women found that more than two thirds of women would be too scared to go to work without a full face of makeup. Leaving the house bare-faced for the commute to work would be more stressful than public speaking, a job interview or even a first date for most women, according to the survey for the Vitality Show. 70 percent said that they would not want to be seen by their work colleagues or bosses without their hair and make-up done. Some 91 percent of women said they would cancel a first date rather than turn up bare-faced.

Boycott Makeup in Dating | Psychology Today
This is a psychologist's view on makeup. His opinion piece starts: Let me start by saying that I believe men can be feminists, and I most certainly consider myself one of them. I advocate for women because I think they are subject to far too many double standards in our culture. One of these standards, of course, has to do with beauty and physical appearance. It is for this reason that I recently starting thinking about makeup.

Women spend 43 weeks of their life applying make-up and perfecting their face before a night out | Mail Online
These stats are from a poll of 1,020 women by St. Ives.
-Nearly 1/3 of women want to cut the amount of time they spend applying makeup
-Only 13% of women have the confidence to go without makeup
-Roughly 1 in 10 women said nothing could make them go without makeup
-One fifth of women believe their friends look better wearing makeup
-Forty-one percent of women feel unable to tell their friends a natural look is better

In my opinion those are some pretty sad statistics. Personally, I like a strong, confident woman who is comfortable in her own skin. Same goes for men for that matter. Having faceful of makeup applied at all times is not likely to convince me that someone (male or female) is being honest, that the person has confidence, or that the person likes him or herself. Instead, such a person is likely to convince me that the individual is wasteful, vain and lacks confidence--traits I personally dislike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,270,587 times
Reputation: 3037
going without make-up is more stressful than an interview? Complete bull****. I have gone to interviews without make-up. Who writes these articles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: not where you are
7,932 posts, read 7,285,787 times
Reputation: 6601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
going without make-up is more stressful than an interview? Complete bull****. I have gone to interviews without make-up. Who writes these articles?
People with their own agendas, and those with grant monies to use up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,457,224 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Can't rep you again!

I know, she should not even want to try to be pretty...I mean, who is she fooling? Poser!
What female doesn't desire to look attractive? The point of this thread, as I see it, is that you can do so naturally by being healthy and vibrant, not putting on a false front to deceive the viewers and perhaps yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top