U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
1,599 posts, read 2,975,909 times
Reputation: 3988

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
You essentially prove my point for me, despite your unfortunate circumstances. You cannot under any circumstances view the enhancements you put on your face.

You are doing it because it physically feels good on your face? I've never heard that before, actually I've heard the opposite that most women despise the feeling of makeup on their faces but do so anyway.

You being blind doesn't mean you don't have the same psychological reasons as anyone else for it.

Additionally, I never said people had to justify why they were it. This thread is optional, and not forcing anyone to do anything. Participation is voluntary, so I don't know what you are alluding to.

I have to ask, if you are totally blind how on earth did you find this thread, read through the thread and then type a response if you don't mind me asking?
It DOES feel good to me. It does not matter if you think it shouldn't- to ME it does.
I am free to participate in any discussion that I am interested in; I never said I felt forced to post on this thread. I was under the impression that differing opinions and views were welcome; it is what makes threads interesting.

I am able to read, process and answer posts on the internet because there is technology that blind people may avail themselves; my particular aide is called JAWS- it reads sites that are compatible with my program. It also allows me to respond to threads that I find interesting.

Oh, I am also incapable of standing or walking, but because of technology (wheelchairs) I can get around. I wear make-up because it is available and I enjoy the little rituals that make up the majority of my day: I like tea in the morning, I enjoy a bath over a shower and prefer being a little chilly over being even a little heated.

We are lucky to have the ability to make individual choices, and as long as those choices are within the laws of our particular State or Country then one shouldn't feel as though others are making arbitrary judgements regarding those choices. It is truly a good time to be alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 2,281,001 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I am narrow? You feel your perceptions are reality and I humbly disagree, yet I do so with science and professional input, not anecdotal experience and emotion.

I'm happy to listen to people who actually weave logic into their arguments.
My comment was "logical" and the best you could come up with was stating I choose to carry a Valentino clutch to "one up" other women. Wrong! I carry a Valentino clutch because the quality is great and I can afford too. Not to mention, unless a woman is really into fashion she wouldn't know whether my clutch was Valentino or Steve Madden since the name Valentino isn't visible on it.

So again you have no logic or reasoning for trying to tell me or any woman why we make the decisions/choices we make period. Instead of comprehending that not all women are the same, you want to discredit every woman who doesn't fit the narrow and stereotypical box you want to place all women in. You have a issue with women and you're using the "why women wear make-up" excuse to express your disdain instead of being honest and saying your self esteem is in the dumps because of the lack of options you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,452,407 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
My comment was "logical" and the best you could come up with was stating I choose to carry a Valentino clutch to "one up" other women. Wrong! I carry a Valentino clutch because the quality is great and I can afford too. Not to mention, unless a woman is really into fashion she wouldn't know whether my clutch was Valentino or Steve Madden since the name Valentino isn't visible on it.

So again you have no logic or reasoning for trying to tell me or any woman why we make the decisions/choices we make period. Instead of comprehending that not all women are the same, you want to discredit every woman who doesn't fit the narrow and stereotypical box you want to place all women in. You have a issue with women and you're using the "why women wear make-up" excuse to express your disdain instead of being honest and saying your self esteem is in the dumps because of the lack of options you have.
hmm, don't know why you are so explosive and insulting, the op has been respectful throughout this thread. He's entitled to offer an opinion too.
Re: fancy purses, mine are all in a box. I don't need a purse anymore, because I'm not carrying any makeup or wallet. My debit card and keys fit nicely in a pocket. Very liberating, and I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my bag. Designer labels are a complete waste of money in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 790,745 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
My comment was "logical" and the best you could come up with was stating I choose to carry a Valentino clutch to "one up" other women. Wrong! I carry a Valentino clutch because the quality is great and I can afford too. Not to mention, unless a woman is really into fashion she wouldn't know whether my clutch was Valentino or Steve Madden since the name Valentino isn't visible on it.

So again you have no logic or reasoning for trying to tell me or any woman why we make the decisions/choices we make period. Instead of comprehending that not all women are the same, you want to discredit every woman who doesn't fit the narrow and stereotypical box you want to place all women in. You have a issue with women and you're using the "why women wear make-up" excuse to express your disdain instead of being honest and saying your self esteem is in the dumps because of the lack of options you have.
I'm sure the quality is so high, that no other brand can compete. You have seen studies of so called designer brand clothing that actually is factually of less quality than less brands? Of course you haven't and while who know of the actual quality of a Valentino clutch versus something else a fraction of the cost I would bet dollars to donuts its a negligible difference.

"Because I can" solidifies my impression of you, I am glad you can afford the clutch, maybe you saved up a couple months for it, maybe you are wealthy on your own or by someone else. Who knows, but the reason you bought a Valentino clutch is not for practicality or quality, its for the statement it makes. You want to espouse your alleged wealth, keen style and perceived uniqueness to others.

Logic proven, you are a simpleton and probably extremely vain. I have no disdain for all women or any at all actually. I'm blessed to be who I am, wouldn't trade it for the world.

I have no issue with women, I love women and think they are wonderful and I couldn't imagine life without them. I wouldn't trade mine for all the Valentino clutches in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 2,281,001 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Probably not, I'm projecting. I used to be that way. But when I look at young girls today, so many of them are trying to be something they aren't, including the makeup, the implants, the cosmetic surgery, bulemia, and fad diets. Confidence is built from the inside, knowing who your are and having goals, and a sense of purpose.
I agree however just because you were insecure and used make-up to provide a false sense of self worth doesn't mean every girl/woman does. I wear make-up because I love all things beauty from make-up, skin care, hair care, etc. I like the way it makes me feel and I have the same self worth with it as I do without it. It is a form of expression for me, not a way to present myself in a manner that isn't who or what I am. Not every girl was fortunate enough to have parents that promoted a healthy sense of self worth, I was which is why everything I do is because its what I want to do and not to gain approval from others.

Since this is something you're so passionate about, why don't you start a program dedicated to helping misguided girls. Exuding hate to those who don't share your misfortunes doesn't solve anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 2,281,001 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Actually, she of all people should be trying to send healthy psychological messages to the impressionable youth and those who struggle with self-image.

Instead she wears high priced dresses, changes them multiple times during evens, probably gets $500 haircuts, wears excessive amounts of makeup, etc, etc.

She has used her position to try and become a movie star style figure, further isolating herself from the average American and if some little girl does look up to her, they better start saving for the Valentino clutch.

She is not beautiful, she is an average looking women. Superlatives lose meaning when you attach them to every person, beautiful means the very best. If she was walking down the street, wasn't famous and FLOTUS you wouldn't think twice or think anything beyond average. The same with Laura Bush (Why isn't she beautiful according to you?) she is also average looking women.
She is not the average American, she lives a life that can afford $500 haircuts, etc. so why shouldn't she utilize those resources? It is so ignorant for people to look down on and disdain success. If I hold a prestigious position, you darn right I'm going to wear, drive, eat, etc. the best of the best. Why shouldn't I? I'm suppose to wear Target clothes just because the average American can't afford Oscar De La Renta? People choose things that fit their taste and budget, Kate Middelton isn't shopping at Target either. She is a educated and successful woman and it shows other women how they too can live if they work hard and become successful. Which is a equally important lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 2,281,001 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Then ShellNic, why do you like to look a little brighter (you said you have pale skin and you must view that as a negative)? Why do you cover your natural skin with makeup when you go out or to work, etc? (I presume you don't get out of the shower and put on makeup if you plan on staying home or not going out in public)

You feel prettier I assume? So to become prettier (perception), you have to logically assume that you were not as pretty in your own eyes before you put on the makeup, because you assume others have the same perception as you do of your face. Again, no one puts on makeup for their own consumption, it is meant to be for other people. It may be to make yourself feel better, but its about how others see your enhanced face and react to it.
And this is where you are wrong. I don't put on make-up for anyone but ME. I have no problem leaving my house without make-up nor do I feel any differently when I do. I simply choose to not go without make-up because I don't want too, just as I don't put on new clothes having not showered. Make-up for me is apart of grooming. I wouldn't leave my house with a wrinkled blouse because I don't like the look and nor would I leave my house with a bare face. They are one in the same in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 790,745 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
And this is where you are wrong. I don't put on make-up for anyone but ME. I have no problem leaving my house without make-up nor do I feel any differently when I do. I simply choose to not go without make-up because I don't want too, just as I don't put on new clothes having not showered. Make-up for me is apart of grooming. I wouldn't leave my house with a wrinkled blouse because I don't like the look and nor would I leave my house with a bare face. They are one in the same in my eyes.

I humbly disagree and so does the psychological community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 790,745 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
She is not the average American, she lives a life that can afford $500 haircuts, etc. so why shouldn't she utilize those resources? It is so ignorant for people to look down on and disdain success. If I hold a prestigious position, you darn right I'm going to wear, drive, eat, etc. the best of the best. Why shouldn't I? I'm suppose to wear Target clothes just because the average American can't afford Oscar De La Renta? People choose things that fit their taste and budget, Kate Middelton isn't shopping at Target either. She is a educated and successful woman and it shows other women how they too can live if they work hard and become successful. Which is a equally important lesson.
It is called being grounded and reasonable. Just like Warren Buffet who doesn't drive a $500,000 car or live in a 50,000 sq ft mansion. Wasting resources for no reason other than being rich and because you can doesn't make you smart or proper. It again shows a lack of common sense and is resources that could be better used elsewhere.

For every example of the rich living in excess, I can cite others who have the same power, wealth and influence who do not indulge.

The Warren Buffet mentality is much more noble, appealing and a role model than a couple of women who are products of their spouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
 
11,440 posts, read 19,478,313 times
Reputation: 18150
One thing this thread needs is a reminder that it's easy to put posters on ignore.

Go up to the top of the page, and click on My Settings, scroll down on the left side to Edit Ignore List under Settings and Options and start typing the member you want to ignore. As you type, another box will appear so you can click on the name -- then click Okay and that poster is on your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top