U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
 
316 posts, read 465,851 times
Reputation: 571

Advertisements

After 28 pages, I don't think there is a single answer that satisfies the OP. I think this thread needs a fork stuck in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 2,277,729 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I humbly disagree and so does the psychological community.
We can certainly agree to disagree

I don't care about the psychological community since I don't depend on them to provide me with food, clothing, and shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,586 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
After 28 pages, I don't think there is a single answer that satisfies the OP. I think this thread needs a fork stuck in it.

I've actually had plenty of insightful posts from women. Some I agree with, some I don't. This wasn't about finding an answer that appeases me. It was more about getting the torrent of responses and sifting through them for my own knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,441,453 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
One thing this thread needs is a reminder that it's easy to put posters on ignore.

Go up to the top of the page, and click on My Settings, scroll down on the left side to Edit Ignore List under Settings and Options and start typing the member you want to ignore. As you type, another box will appear so you can click on the name -- then click Okay and that poster is on your list.
What made you think we all need a reminder of the forum settings? Are you encouraging some to be put on ignore? Who? If you disagree with them, why not openly do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 2,277,729 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It is called being grounded and reasonable. Just like Warren Buffet who doesn't drive a $500,000 car or live in a 50,000 sq ft mansion. Wasting resources for no reason other than being rich and because you can doesn't make you smart or proper. It again shows a lack of common sense and is resources that could be better used elsewhere.

For every example of the rich living in excess, I can cite others who have the same power, wealth and influence who do not indulge.

The Warren Buffet mentality is much more noble, appealing and a role model than a couple of women who are products of their spouses.
It is grounded and reasonable within their budget to live that way. If its not something you personally would do then thats fine, however you have no right to impose your views onto someone else. It is your opinion that they are wasting resources, when to them it is quality and comforts they prefer. My neighbor loves diamonds and I'm personally not a huge fan of jewelry but I don't turn my nose up at her every time she shows me a new necklace. Its simply just not my thing just as I have a friend who isn't that into make-up and can't fathom how I can spend $50 on a lipstick. We are all different but the most important thing is that we can respect each others differences and we are friends for far better reasons than what we choose to wear, etc.

Also displaying wealth doesn't make you appear smart, classy, proper, etc. Everyone knows money doesn't give you class, money is money and your character demonstrates who you are. Just because you choose to live frugally doesn't mean you can't be a A-whole. Just as not all wealthy men are pricks or all women of rich men are bimbos. Unless you live a perfect existence which no one does, you don't have room to judge anyone for their choices and no ones way is the "right" way. We choose what works for us and our individual circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,586 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What made you think we all need a reminder of the forum settings? Are you encouraging some to be put on ignore? Who? If you disagree with them, why not openly do so?

It's common for those who cannot deal with adversity to squelch others. I think it is something like sticking your head in the sand?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,923,776 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It's common for those who cannot deal with adversity to squelch others. I think it is something like sticking your head in the sand?

Hmmmm....you sifted through all the answers to get the ones you wanted, that supported your own theories...you and Claudhopper say we're all full of crap. Nice. You think views which not only have incorporated your own ideas but also included their own are somehow wrong in your minds. What's interesting...and there are 30 pages to prove it...is that your are adverse to opposing opinions and you've been the one sticking your head in the sand.

I honestly can't see how you enjoy/love women as you say you do. To the discerning mind, your words say otherwise. And claudehopper, he HAS been insulting. You have as well by calling people names. Of course you can go back and try to correct my perception, but your meaning was clear the first time.

It's true though...no answer will be enough because you think all but one is wrong. I'm so glad I don't have to suffer this IRL. Here, it's a distraction...I'm thankful I don't have to endure someone with this kind of nonsensical rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,441,453 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Hmmmm....you sifted through all the answers to get the ones you wanted, that supported your own theories...you and Claudhopper say we're all full of crap. Nice. You think views which not only have incorporated your own ideas but also included their own are somehow wrong in your minds. What's interesting...and there are 30 pages to prove it...is that your are adverse to opposing opinions and you've been the one sticking your head in the sand.

I honestly can't see how you enjoy/love women as you say you do. To the discerning mind, your words say otherwise. And claudehopper, he HAS been insulting. You have as well by calling people names. Of course you can go back and try to correct my perception, but your meaning was clear the first time.

It's true though...no answer will be enough because you think all but one is wrong. I'm so glad I don't have to suffer this IRL. Here, it's a distraction...I'm thankful I don't have to endure someone with this kind of nonsensical rhetoric.
You are inventing your own reality. Nobody said you all are full of crap, and I have not called anybody names. If you can't make a point without inventing victimhood, then there is no sense in trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,586 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You are inventing your own reality. Nobody said you all are full of crap, and I have not called anybody names. If you can't make a point without inventing victimhood, then there is no sense in trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.
Agreed, along with the $50 lipstick lady. (What is that adage about a lipstick and a pig again? I forget. =D )

Last edited by derosterreich; 01-25-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,923,776 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You are inventing your own reality. Nobody said you all are full of crap, and I have not called anybody names. If you can't make a point without inventing victimhood, then there is no sense in trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.
You can say all you want that you didn't call me a feminazi, but your post quoted my post and you were certainly inferring that...I didn't take it personally but fact is fact. Back pedaling may be a form of argument for you, but I'm not buying it. I'm not a victim...I'm not even upset. And I agree, there is no sense in trying to have a reasonable discussion because you haven't really made any points to discuss other than you agree that the OP is right...in your opinion. I would never have addressed your comments but you keep saying that he hasn't offended anyone when in fact, he has. You really shouldn't start speaking for everyone...it's not a good look.

And the "full of crap" comment refers to the OP continually telling me I'm confused about my own self worth, my self image, I'm diluded...on and on he goes, quoting one study after another...completely disregarding the comments I'm making. Or anyone else except you. You two are weird, IMO. Possibly made for each other.

The other poster (shysister) was saying that each person gets to decide what's important to them. Their aesthetics as well as other value placed in their life is chosen by that individual. Who on earth do you think you are to say they are wrong? Listen, I understand that your preferences dictate who you "hang" with but to pass judgement is classless. We all make certain judgements regarding our lives but PASSING judgement is entirely another deal. You haven't made that distinction yet.

Saying everyone is silly (or however you think of it) isn't very smart to me. There ya have it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top