U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,436 times
Reputation: 716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I completely agree w/all Kayanne's points. I wear makeup whenever I feel like it, 5 minutes after brushing my teeth, whether I'm going to be telecommuting or running errands. Maybe it's a weekend and everyone's home, maybe not. I like different looks - sometimes minimal makeup, sometimes red lipstick. My husband loves the different looks. He likes me fine without it, too. I also don't run around in sweats all day just because I work from home. It's ridiculous to think that the amount of makeup, whether or not I comb my hair, whether I wear my contacts or eyeglasses all have something to do w/some deep-seeded self-esteem issue.
Of course you agree with her points

Eyeglasses and contacts give you clearer sight, this isn't relevant to the discussion.

Let say you have the day off and so does your husband. You have a schedule, which is raking leaves, cleaning the house and kicking back and watching Netflix when you finish said chores.

Would you wake up and brush your teeth and put on lipstick and make-up prior to these chores? Would you wear high heels while you raked leaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
 
837 posts, read 2,495,537 times
Reputation: 754
Women wear make-up because they feel good with it.

Simple as that.

I like when a woman put some effort in her appearance. My wife does and stands out among the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
I do not wear a lot of make-up in my daily life (light powder and lipgloss usually) but I take great care of my skin and still look fresh, youthful and pulled together without much makeup.

But I will say that it bothers me to hear comments like this from men due to the fact that men SAY that they prefer women who wear little or no makeup but men usually pay the MOST attention to the women who wear a full face of makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,436 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I do not wear a lot of make-up in my daily life (light powder and lipgloss usually) but I take great care of my skin and still look fresh, youthful and pulled together without much makeup.

But I will say that it bothers me to hear comments like this from men due to the fact that men SAY that they prefer women who wear little or no makeup but men usually pay the MOST attention to the women who wear a full face of makeup.
Did you not read the part where I said I admire and specifically favor women who do not? Most men like beauty, whether they are duped into it artificially by make-up or not just depends on how the mindset of the man making the decision prioritizes those with or without make-up.

You have anecdotal evidence at best to support your judgment on men practicing this, which means that its probably not accurate.

I will repeat, I like natural beauty over artificial. I'd rather be with a girl I found beautiful despite make-up then cringe when I see her without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,077 posts, read 4,046,849 times
Reputation: 10057
You know, OP, if you prefer your women without makeup, that is perfectly fine. I'm sure there are many woman who would appreciate that about you. But when your personal preference crosses into judging others for their preferences, it's a good way to alienate others.

You asked a question. I answered it from my point of view. Today I happen to be wearing minimal makeup. I have an event tomorrow for which I will go for a bit more elegant look. For me, I wear it because I can, it's fun, it's aesthetically pleasing to me, it adds variety. I don't do it to sexually attract men. I happen to LOVE painted toenails. I know some men hate that. But that's ok because I do it for me, not them.

I find it quite impressive how artistic and beautiful makeup can be. I love seeing "with and without makeup" photos, such as in these links. Same reason I love home makeovers. Variety, beauty, creativity, fun!

https://www.google.com/search?q=beyo...ZvGHrk2OYbONM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=beyo...sfOF6uGsDdSYM:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,077 posts, read 4,046,849 times
Reputation: 10057
And here is a young woman who has been quite an inspiration to many.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cass...YLa0lPdtjAbvM:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,056 posts, read 7,954,291 times
Reputation: 11449
So the only point of wearing makeup is to attract a guy and once you've got the ring on your finger then there's no point in ever wearing it again? I'm not a troll without makeup, but I look better and feel better about myself when I have makeup on. There's also a big difference between wearing so much that you look like a different person without it on, and wearing just enough to enchance your features. But it's really all personal preference. I don't wear makeup to attract guys, I wear it because it makes me more confident. I still wore makeup and put effort into my appearance when I was married. I wouldn't be happy if I met a guy who was fit, dressed nice, and took great care of himself, then once we were married he became a fat slob who never shaved and wore sweatpants everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,436 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
So the only point of wearing makeup is to attract a guy and once you've got the ring on your finger then there's no point in ever wearing it again? I'm not a troll without makeup, but I look better and feel better about myself when I have makeup on. There's also a big difference between wearing so much that you look like a different person without it on, and wearing just enough to enhance your features. But it's really all personal preference. I don't wear makeup to attract guys, I wear it because it makes me more confident. I still wore makeup and put effort into my appearance when I was married. I wouldn't be happy if I met a guy who was fit, dressed nice, and took great care of himself, then once we were married he became a fat slob who never shaved and wore sweatpants everyday.
Why does it give you confidence? Because your sex appeal has been elevated and instead of using your skills, mind and thoughts to convey your point or purpose you are hoping that your enhanced physical features might be the deal breaker at your event?

Here is the definition of confidence.

"Confidence is generally described as a state of being certain either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective. "

What is the prediction or hypothesis that you are setting out to accomplish at the event? Make-up increases the confidence in this prediction? If the goal of the event is to showcase yourself then make-up is valid and logical. If it is for lets say a discussion on string theory with physicists would this increase the level of certainty in your argument of black holes?

What if your husband had a new found happiness in an unkempt beard, sweatpants and eating rich foods? He has to remain eye candy for you first and his comfort is second? Is it the fact that he didn't present himself truthfully before you are married or that his stances have change? (Considering he is still a good husband, father and provider)

I know it is cliche, but I hope you don't think I am attacking women, this is believe it or not a very interesting thread to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
Reputation: 3036
troll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Why does it give you confidence? Because your sex appeal has been elevated and instead of using your skills, mind and thoughts to convey your point or purpose you are hoping that your enhanced physical features might be the deal breaker at your event?

Here is the definition of confidence.

"Confidence is generally described as a state of being certain either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective. "

What is the prediction or hypothesis that you are setting out to accomplish at the event? Make-up increases the confidence in this prediction? If the goal of the event is to showcase yourself then make-up is valid and logical. If it is for lets say a discussion on string theory with physicists would this increase the level of certainty in your argument of black holes?

What if your husband had a new found happiness in an unkempt beard, sweatpants and eating rich foods? He has to remain eye candy for you first and his comfort is second? Is it the fact that he didn't present himself truthfully before you are married or that his stances have change? (Considering he is still a good husband, father and provider)

I know it is cliche, but I hope you don't think I am attacking women, this is believe it or not a very interesting thread to me.
shouldn't have to defend yourself if you aren't attacking women. clearly has serious mommy issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top