U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
hmm, don't know why you are so explosive and insulting, the op has been respectful throughout this thread. He's entitled to offer an opinion too.
Re: fancy purses, mine are all in a box. I don't need a purse anymore, because I'm not carrying any makeup or wallet. My debit card and keys fit nicely in a pocket. Very liberating, and I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my bag. Designer labels are a complete waste of money in my opinion.
I was like that for MANY years, now I actually do carry things around with me that require a purse or bag of some sort. For designer labels, I was given a Coach wallet a few years back as a Christmas gift from one of the vendors I worked with at work. It sat in a box for months because I was soooo against any type of designer labels. I thought the people who carried them were vain and shallow. Then I decided to use it and the quality is incredible. I tend to destroy purses and wallets and this thing has stood up to my abuse and still looks new.

Now, I'm contemplating buying a designer leather bag off of ebay because they're not much more expensive than the cheapo purses I've been buying at Ross and TJ Maxx. Maybe $20 more for a leather bag that will last through my abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I'm sure the quality is so high, that no other brand can compete. You have seen studies of so called designer brand clothing that actually is factually of less quality than less brands? Of course you haven't and while who know of the actual quality of a Valentino clutch versus something else a fraction of the cost I would bet dollars to donuts its a negligible difference.

"Because I can" solidifies my impression of you, I am glad you can afford the clutch, maybe you saved up a couple months for it, maybe you are wealthy on your own or by someone else. Who knows, but the reason you bought a Valentino clutch is not for practicality or quality, its for the statement it makes. You want to espouse your alleged wealth, keen style and perceived uniqueness to others.

Logic proven, you are a simpleton and probably extremely vain. I have no disdain for all women or any at all actually. I'm blessed to be who I am, wouldn't trade it for the world.

I have no issue with women, I love women and think they are wonderful and I couldn't imagine life without them. I wouldn't trade mine for all the Valentino clutches in the world.
You do have disdain for women...it's very telling that you can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
You can say all you want that you didn't call me a feminazi, but your post quoted my post and you were certainly inferring that...I didn't take it personally but fact is fact. Back pedaling may be a form of argument for you, but I'm not buying it. I'm not a victim...I'm not even upset. And I agree, there is no sense in trying to have a reasonable discussion because you haven't really made any points to discuss other than you agree that the OP is right...in your opinion. I would never have addressed your comments but you keep saying that he hasn't offended anyone when in fact, he has. You really shouldn't start speaking for everyone...it's not a good look.

And the "full of crap" comment refers to the OP continually telling me I'm confused about my own self worth, my self image, I'm diluded...on and on he goes, quoting one study after another...completely disregarding the comments I'm making. Or anyone else except you. You two are weird, IMO. Possibly made for each other.

The other poster (shysister) was saying that each person gets to decide what's important to them. Their aesthetics as well as other value placed in their life is chosen by that individual. Who on earth do you think you are to say they are wrong? Listen, I understand that your preferences dictate who you "hang" with but to pass judgement is classless. We all make certain judgements regarding our lives but PASSING judgement is entirely another deal. You haven't made that distinction yet.

Saying everyone is silly (or however you think of it) isn't very smart to me. There ya have it...
It's completely pointless 'arguing' with those people, they simply know they're right and everyone else is wrong no matter how much evidence or anecdotes are thrown their way. Let them go through life judging everyone else, they're probably missing out on getting to know plenty of great people because of their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,922,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's completely pointless 'arguing' with those people, they simply know they're right and everyone else is wrong no matter how much evidence or anecdotes are thrown their way. Let them go through life judging everyone else, they're probably missing out on getting to know plenty of great people because of their actions.
You're right.

So many women here have stated some really great viewpoints and tried to show this young man other possibilities and his refusal to even entertain these opinions is also very telling. Hey, no skin off our noses...we'll just use a pat of powder and be on our way.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
I assume the OP also believes men who shave, wear hair gel and put on some cologne are incredibly insecure and desperate for female attention? After all, why do they feel the need to alter/enhance their natural physical features if they don't have some deep-seated psychological issues?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM

355 posts, read 539,314 times
Quote:
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
For the same reasons people paint, sculpt, sing, act, write, decorate their homes--because it's a form of self expression.

Things do have purposes beyond function, you know.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,439,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
For the same reasons people paint, sculpt, sing, act, write, decorate their homes--because it's a form of self expression.

Things do have purposes beyond function, you know.
I think you nailed it. Women like to decorate cupcakes, why not their faces too? Men can paint too! Not all that much work for that natural look. And I hear it's fun and gives you confidence. yup I'm sold.

Flawless Male Makeup Tutorial - YouTube

Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM

316 posts, read 465,719 times
Quote:
Everyone knows I wouldn't be with a woman who wears makeup on a day to day basis.
and from another thread:

Quote:
When you think about athletes, a slender, smaller and tone figure is the common denominator. That is sexy to me
So no makeup and an athletic body. Gotcha!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM

We seem to be winding this thread down, so before we move on, these videos are for fun.
Imagine being so beautiful you not only don't need makeup, you don't even need hair, and still look drop dead gorgeous. This lady is something else.

The day I shaved my head... - YouTube

here's another one

Me getting my head shaved. - YouTube

Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
We seem to be winding this thread down, so before we move on, these videos are for fun.
Imagine being so beautiful you not only don't need makeup, you don't even need hair, and still look drop dead gorgeous. This lady is something else.

The day I shaved my head... - YouTube

here's another one

Me getting my head shaved. - YouTube

Not all of us were lucky enough to be born with good genetics. It's all chance and luck.

I've shaved my head twice. I didn't look anything like those women.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not all of us were lucky enough to be born with good genetics. It's all chance and luck.

I've shaved my head twice. I didn't look anything like those women.
You did, why? Oh my gosh, I'd never have that kind of confidence.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
You did, why? Oh my gosh, I'd never have that kind of confidence.
Once for a friend who had Leukemia, once for funsies. I had a mohawk for a while after that one. Honestly, if it was socially acceptable and if my face was nicer looking I'd have a shaved head all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty