U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,446,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Once for a friend who had Leukemia, once for funsies. I had a mohawk for a while after that one. Honestly, if it was socially acceptable and if my face was nicer looking I'd have a shaved head all the time.
You remind me of a gal I adopted one of my favorite pitbulls to, her name was Kira. She had a shaved head, very liberal, vegan, collected reptiles, married and an artist. I think she enjoyed shocking me, one day she walked up with a F__ Bush t shirt, just to see my reaction. She got me, I didn't know there was so much hatred of Bush at that time. When he got reelected, I said the wrong thing to her, she threw a fit, called me every name she could think of, and never spoke to me again. That's okay, she loved that dog, and that's all I care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,806,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You remind me of a gal I adopted one of my favorite pitbulls to, her name was Kira. She had a shaved head, very liberal, vegan, collected reptiles, married and an artist. I think she enjoyed shocking me, one day she walked up with a F__ Bush t shirt, just to see my reaction. She got me, I didn't know there was so much hatred of Bush at that time. When he got reelected, I said the wrong thing to her, she threw a fit, called me every name she could think of, and never spoke to me again. That's okay, she loved that dog, and that's all I care about.

I'm definitely not like that, but I did have a pit bull (she's with my parents since I moved) but I'm FAR from a vegan and definitely no crazy liberal.

Not really an artist, but I did work with a group called the Flaming Lotus Girls.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:

I'm definitely not like that, but I did have a pit bull (she's with my parents since I moved) but I'm FAR from a vegan and definitely no crazy liberal.

Not really an artist, but I did work with a group called the Flaming Lotus Girls.
I didn't mean to imply you are like her, only that she was strong enough to shave her head. I think she enjoyed shocking people. Her art was sexual and suited for San Francisco type culture. I think about her sometimes and wonder how my boy is doing. He was a great dog!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 AM

46 posts, read 56,170 times
Make up and cosmetics are very important for all us ladies. It has not been around for years but in existence for several centuries already. Women who wears make up are not ugly rather we just love to enhance and beautify more. But take not that make up do not only serve this way - they are also use in covering up scars, blemishes and spots which tends us to be more conscious when concealed.

Sometimes, it is also the jobs and professions that needs make up. And make up also helps in sun protection. It is not for beautifying purposes all the time. And btw, as for me and I believe for other girls too, we put make up not for boys, but also for our fellow girls --- you know, there is something that "feeling" that you are prettier than her. Lol.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 AM

26,879 posts, read 28,176,944 times
[quote=claudhopper;27889630]
Quote:
As a woman who has been told that I wouldnt be considered for a promotion and that it looked like I didn't take my work seriously because I didn't wear makeup and do my hair nicely, I'll kindly call BS on this.

quote]

I call bs on that. You could have complained to someone higher, and made a case for yourself, if that ever really happened. Now if you refused to wear deodarant, they have a case. If you are extemely unkempt, then perhaps I'd side with them.
It's no different than promoting someone, saying it's because they look good, as if nobody cares about the work getting done.
What a ridiculous argument.
I have had similar comments as well. In my job, if I don't put on a little bit of makeup, people don't take me very seriously. And that's a deathwish in consulting. I need to get every advantage I can get, especially considering I tend to come across as a little "young"

JetJockey: Do the purse upgrade. Totally worth it. My first "designer" purse was a Via Spiga hobo I got at Ross/TJ MAxx/similar. I bought it in about 2000. It was my daily purse for about 2 years. It still looks awesome now! Now I have a few more, I switch purses quite often. But that one was really good. The only reason it doesn't come out more often is because it was pre-cell phone pockets. So it is kinda a black hole now. Coach bags have been awesome for me. Michael Kors are hit and miss. KAte Spades are great. Furla too. I have had two "designer" purses with issues. And the manufacturers repaired or replaced them!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:20 PM

[quote=jade408;27948533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post

I have had similar comments as well. In my job, if I don't put on a little bit of makeup, people don't take me very seriously. And that's a deathwish in consulting. I need to get every advantage I can get, especially considering I tend to come across as a little "young"

JetJockey: Do the purse upgrade. Totally worth it. My first "designer" purse was a Via Spiga hobo I got at Ross/TJ MAxx/similar. I bought it in about 2000. It was my daily purse for about 2 years. It still looks awesome now! Now I have a few more, I switch purses quite often. But that one was really good. The only reason it doesn't come out more often is because it was pre-cell phone pockets. So it is kinda a black hole now. Coach bags have been awesome for me. Michael Kors are hit and miss. KAte Spades are great. Furla too. I have had two "designer" purses with issues. And the manufacturers repaired or replaced them!
I found a really cute Dooney on ebay for :$50 that I have my eye on... I don't want it to be obvious that it's a designer bag and this one only has a very small logo on it. I just want something quality so I don't have to keep wasting money re-buying cheap purses.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM

26,879 posts, read 28,176,944 times
Quote:

I found a really cute Dooney on ebay for :$50 that I have my eye on... I don't want it to be obvious that it's a designer bag and this one only has a very small logo on it. I just want something quality so I don't have to keep wasting money re-buying cheap purses.
I don't like the logoed bags either. Or pricy non-leather bags. A bit of hardware. A hanging tag. That's it. I think the problem is, people have been brainwashed into thinking flashing expensive logos implies wealth, class, elegance or a combo of all three and the profit driven manufacturers keep pumping those items out and laughing all the way to the bank!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't like the logoed bags either. Or pricy non-leather bags. A bit of hardware. A hanging tag. That's it. I think the problem is, people have been brainwashed into thinking flashing expensive logos implies wealth, class, elegance or a combo of all three and the profit driven manufacturers keep pumping those items out and laughing all the way to the bank!
I was joking around with a gal I met here in Boston and we were talking about how the only three things a woman needs to fit in here are a Coach bag with the logo plastered all over it, a North Face jacket with a big logo on the front and back and a pair of the expensive looking fur lined Sorel boots. It seems 75% of the women here have all three of those things

I only have 6 flights to dispatch at work this evening so it might be an ebay shopping night

Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM

11,433 posts, read 19,456,640 times
[quote=JetJockey;27954170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I love the Dooney All weather leather older ones with the little duck. Specifically the black leather brown trim ones. Just gorgeous.

But I have slopey shoulders and I can't keep a bag on them and man those things are HEAVY. I know -- I bought one once on Ebay and sold it the next month. Tried it for three days -- it was just too much.

So I get to look at women carrying them and admire with just a touch of envy.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM

[quote=Tallysmom;27957280]
Quote:

I love the Dooney All weather leather older ones with the little duck. Specifically the black leather brown trim ones. Just gorgeous.

But I have slopey shoulders and I can't keep a bag on them and man those things are HEAVY. I know -- I bought one once on Ebay and sold it the next month. Tried it for three days -- it was just too much.

So I get to look at women carrying them and admire with just a touch of envy.
How about starting a new thread about handbags, or designer fashion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty