U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 AM

14,510 posts, read 11,489,335 times

Advertisements

...back to makeup.... I dont wear much now as Im older... but yesteryday I put some foundation, a little blusher and some eye makeup to take ma granddaughter home... she looked into my face, and said.... "granny I hope when IM old I look like you "hahaha. no better compliment than that is there..... or rose coloured glasses hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,142,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
No one ever comments on Laura Bush or Nancy Reagan, they were just FLOTUS during a less vain times and the media love affair wasn't as rabid.

Jackie O was the prettiest of the FLOTUS' in my personal opinion. Like I said before, Michelle O isn't anymore beautiful than an average women. She was nothing when she wasn't FLOTUS, and was wife of a Senator from Illinois. She is a product of her position, and if you ask me she is built rather manly (shoulders) with an average looking face.
First off, who are you to judge a woman's looks so harshly. Picking apart every detail. Manly shoulders? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally do think Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman. She is confident, intelligent, appears to be in good physical shape (healthy) and has a warm smile.

Quote:
Back to the actual thread.

I've never felt the need to wear makeup, if you don't like my skin then I guess I'm not good enough for someone and I'll be quite OK and understand I didn't cut it for that persons level of beauty. However I will not artificially enhance myself to make someones grade.
You really seem to be missing the point that it's not a social norm for men to wear makeup yet it is for women so of course you don't feel the need to wear makeup. If you did wear makeup, you would be ridiculed for it if anyone noticed. I'm guessing that you also don't wear dresses or skirts in public either?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
That has been brought up before, and to some extent yes I has a partial role in this. But facial makeup is unique as it is almost done exclusively for other people's consumption and almost nothing to do with your own.

If you for example have the like bathroom towels matching in color, you yourself can enjoy the aesthetics along with others. It has a direct pleasing effect on your own eyes, it is practical to a sensory function which is sight. This is directly equivalent to why you would sleep on a bed instead of a concrete floor, the sensory function that is pleased is your sense of touch (the comfortable bed versus hard floor).

The part where makeup loses its practicality it isn't able to be viewed by the underlying person unless they are in a mirror or reflecting pool which is about .001% of the total time someone is sporting makeup over their lifetime.

No one, including myself is solely utilitarian when they do almost anything. Of course I properly matched the paint in my house with the flooring, and cabinets and appliances. It is such a small, not-time-consuming process to choose what I like one time that will last for the duration of my home, and not only will others hopefully enjoy it - I will the most of all.
A women absolutely enjoys how she may look with makeup along with others. Many have said that they enjoy the sensory experience of putting on makeup. It's not that different from the examples given.

It takes me 5 minutes or less to put on makeup. It's not a time consuming chore for most people. As many people have said, women wear makeup for themselves, first and foremost and sure, others might enjoy how they look but it is primarily done for the wearer.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I assume the OP also believes men who shave, wear hair gel and put on some cologne are incredibly insecure and desperate for female attention? After all, why do they feel the need to alter/enhance their natural physical features if they don't have some deep-seated psychological issues?

The OP, looked like he had a truckload of hair gel in his profile pic which he has made private after getting called out on it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
SAG Awards 2013: Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber enjoy day at farmer's market... then turn on the glam | Mail Online

Woah....

There is a 20 year difference in appearance between the two(makeup vs. none). Its a bad pic of her but...wow..

Why do dames doll up? See link above for exhibit 38427398 of why makeup can be better.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM

148 posts, read 146,907 times
because most women have low self esteem and need to feel pretty when in public

/thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM

355 posts, read 539,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post

/thread
"most women have low self esteem".....and you know this how?

Oh, right, conjecture.

I am sure you are a troll, I don't know why I am bothering to answer, maybe it's because I have had one of those days and you seem like easy pickings but here we go.......

It is ignorant and asinine to reduce the subject of makeup to a statement around self esteem. That may make for a cute soundbite on an ABC Family teen movie, but the reality is way more complex.

First of all, People communicate in many different ways including nonverbally via mannerisms, and yes, appearance. How a person presents themselves publicly determines how they will be perceived. Further--we are hardwired and conditioned to judge people first on how they look and that is a good thing. You can gain a lot of valuable information from a person's exterior....from health, to competence, to power, to approachability etc etc.

Further--what's really interesting is that we don't look for people to be pretty, per se, but rather take subconscious cues as to how they take care of themselves. By their choices relating to clothes, hairstyle and personal fitness, a person can communicate where they fall on a range of:

competence
social status
education
personality
sexuality
openness

...and so on.

Makeup is but one aspect of social appearance. Yes--it is often used to make women more sexually attractive but more often than not, it is just part of a person's social persona. So when a woman makes a choice to put makeup on, they are doing it for a myriad of reasons: to communicate confidence, self care, youthfulness and yes, attractiveness for the purposes of furthering their impact on the interactions of their day. They don't do it "just to get some" as the Cro-Magnon brained OP implied but rather because they are smart and savvy and know that makeup is one of the tools in their arsenals. Additionally, like with many other artistic choices, they use makeup for self expression......

Finally, I'd like to draw your attention to the expression you used "self esteem" which translates into SELF CARE. If a person doesn't esteem themselves, they will put very little care and investment into their social persona. That is why RESEARCH SHOWS a direct correlation between sociability, self esteem and the use of personal care products such a makeup, perfume and nice clothes.

Last edited by CanonGrace; 01-28-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,730,809 times
Another workplace related reason why some women wear makeup, which I don't think has been mentioned:

One of my sisters teaches high school. She's tiny, petite, and has a very youthful looking face. So, even though she's 32, without makeup and her hair 'done' in a more adult fashion, she looks like one of her students. A polished-looking makeup application helps her keep order in the classroom by helping establish that she's the adult. It also helps her to be taken more seriously during teacher/parent conferences, etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 AM

No that aspect hasnt been mentioned at all... and wish it was my problem I look tired without a little makeup as do many women...and it perks up my day just to have that little bit of mascara and soft eyeliner.., I actually envy women who dont need it..and some women dont suit wearing it...what would Hollywood have been like makeup free..... I dread to think.... and thats only the men...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post

/thread
I think what you said is right, maybe not all the time.. but I know a girl who cant pass a mirror, checking her makeup, and its the opposite of what people think of her.. she feels so paranoid about her looks and not conceited at all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty