U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM

41,115 posts, read 32,791,964 times

Advertisements

Rather than arguing with everyone, I am just going to answer the OP's question - why do I, a married fifty year old woman, wear makeup?

I wear a light amount of makeup because I enjoy enhancing my natural looks and making the most of my assets, while minimizing my liabilities. I don't just do this for "public." I also do it when I'm just hanging out at the house.

I also keep my fingernails and toenails manicured and polished neatly. I also keep my hair cut in a stylish cut that requires me going to the salon about once every two months. I also color my hair to cover my gray hairs.

I also shave my legs every day. I also wear contacts nearly every day. I also love wearing cute, casual clothes even if I'm not going anywhere that day.

I enjoy looking cute and my husband really appreciates my attention to detail. He is fastidious himself and loves for me to look "well maintained" and polished. I love it too. I feel more self confident when I know I have a pulled together look going on.

I'm artistic and I enjoy dressing with some flair - that includes a really cute haircut and sassy lipstick and eyeliner that enhances my eyes!

I don't do this for any man other than my husband - and for myself. I love the way my husband shows me his appreciation. It's a win for both of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,989,217 times
My husband likes how I look without makeup. I like how I look better WITH makeup. I wore it long before I was married because I like it and will continue to do so. It has nothing to do with trying to attract other men. It's just something I like. I'm girly like that.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,337,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
This entire thread is hilarious. I might mention the profile pic....
Yes, designer beard, gelled hair wonder what he looks like in the morning.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,294,064 times
I don't "need" makeup and actually went through a phase of not wearing it for a couple of years. I just think it's fun. Anyway just because people get married doesn't mean they want to stop looking good to the world and to their spouses.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM

946 posts, read 790,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife doesn't wear any make up and she looks fine to me! Said she never saw the need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The only reason I can think of, other than to cover blemishes, is marketing. None of my friends have ever worn make-up, so it's far from all women who do so. If you don't like women with make-up, find one who doesn't wear it. They're around. Maybe it's more of a regional thing.
Kygman, this is what I am talking about. Your wife I assume is probably a really sensible, practical and intelligent woman.

Ruth, I stand corrected. I shouldn't have said that, maybe most women is more fair? As far as you and your friends, it may sound petty to others but that is awesome that you guys do that. I don't know you or your friends obviously, but your types appeal so much to me than women who need to put on make-up, high heels, highlight their hair all in an attempt to "look pretty" and create a facade.

Kudos to you!

Last edited by derosterreich; 01-11-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM

31,227 posts, read 57,405,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?
When I do wear it, I wear makeup for me, not for anyone else.

Quote:
Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?
Yes.

Quote:
Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?
No.

Quote:
What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
To make me feel better, for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
This entire thread is hilarious. I might mention the profile pic....
Seriously! Pot ... kettle.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
When I do wear it, I wear makeup for me, not for anyone else.

Yes.

No.

To make me feel better, for myself.

How can you wear make-up for you? Do you walk around with a mirror to look at your own face? That makes zero sense, this is the weakest and most disingenuous excuse so far.

One cannot see their own face, whether you have make-up or not you do not see it.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I don't "need" makeup and actually went through a phase of not wearing it for a couple of years. I just think it's fun. Anyway just because people get married doesn't mean they want to stop looking good to the world and to their spouses.
Why did you start wearing it again after a couple of years?

I didn't say they should stop "looking good" (which apparently involves make-up to accomplish this goal) but like I've mentioned and yet to hear a valid reason why most women who wear make-up do so for complete strangers more so than while at home with their family.

If you consistently wear make-up while cooking, raking leaves, mowing the lawn, playing Legos with your kids, watching a movie with your husband and while out in public or at work, you have infinitely more logic associated with that consistent approach.

If you typically don't wear make-up when you are cooking, raking leaves, mowing the lawn, playing Legos with your kids, watching a movie with your husband but while your go to public places and work (strangers and lesser important people in your lives.) you tend to wear more make-up then you fail to give me any understanding why you put a higher level of importance on impressing strangers and coworkers.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,475,999 times
What's a Nubian?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

What exactly is hypocritical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty