U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,925,323 times
Reputation: 6122

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
How can you wear make-up for you? Do you walk around with a mirror to look at your own face? That makes zero sense, this is the weakest and most disingenuous excuse so far.

One cannot see their own face, whether you have make-up or not you do not see it.
If the profile pic is yours, tell me why you put hair gel in your hair and styled it. You can't SEE your hair, why on earth did you comb it? Why'd you add some stuff to it? If you have a GF already, you must be trying to catch other women. Is that it?

And just because you can't relate to a woman who wears makeup (no one would expect you to), why do you consistently say that it's disengenuous? YOU, as a man, have NO IDEA. As a man, you're completely fine to say you have a preference but to say that you KNOW, with certainty, why a woman wears or does not wear makeup is ludicrous.

AND while you think you might have been complimenting Ruth and her friends for not wearing makeup, you implied that women who do wear makeup are somehow not down to earth or what was it you said? You applied positive qualities to the non-wearers...dude, you can't think that lipstick is the difference between a "good" woman and a bad one...again, have your preference but perhaps keep it to yourself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
If the profile pic is yours, tell me why you put hair gel in your hair and styled it. You can't SEE your hair, why on earth did you comb it? Why'd you add some stuff to it? If you have a GF already, you must be trying to catch other women. Is that it?

And just because you can't relate to a woman who wears makeup (no one would expect you to), why do you consistently say that it's disengenuous? YOU, as a man, have NO IDEA. As a man, you're completely fine to say you have a preference but to say that you KNOW, with certainty, why a woman wears or does not wear makeup is ludicrous.

AND while you think you might have been complimenting Ruth and her friends for not wearing makeup, you implied that women who do wear makeup are somehow not down to earth or what was it you said? You applied positive qualities to the non-wearers...dude, you can't think that lipstick is the difference between a "good" woman and a bad one...again, have your preference but perhaps keep it to yourself.

That was a modeling picture. The photographer chose everything including the outfit for compensation.

Why do you have to be a woman to understand why they choose to cover their face? There are men who wear make-up too, so I don't get where you are coming from.

It's a girl thing, it is fun, you have no idea your a man, are not valid reasons for wearing make-up. Please stop giving those excuses, just don't post if that's your disingenuous reason.

Ruth is a woman that doesn't need to create a facade of trickery for people whether they be her partner, family or strangers. She is comfortable with just who she is, and doesn't find faults with her natural appearance. Some people may be dumb enough to think your make-up enhances you, but I look at from the perspective that you are hiding a trait you don't like.

With all things being equal between woman A(natural) and woman B (B wears make up), I would chose the woman who is more natural. Just my preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
A parallel just dawned on me between this thread and something else.

Do women get breast implants for the same reason that they wear make-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,925,323 times
Reputation: 6122
You were a MODEL? Alrighty then...

You asked why women wear makeup? Right? Women gave you answers. You don't think they're valid reasons. You, in your infinite wisdom, think you know what it's like to be a woman, I guess, because you're acting like YOUR reasons are better. You think that putting on makeup, for any reason other than attracting a mate, is a "facade of trickery". Talk about taking it to the most extreme...you do realize there are varying degrees of putting on makeup and the reasons are MANY...not just for attracting others, but MANY. Perhaps none of those reasons are valid enough for you either.

You state your preference for non-makeup-wearing women...good for you. How ignorant of you to insist that you KNOW... and yes, men DO wear makeup. But your question wasn't about men. It's clear you don't get where I'm coming from, but for you say my reasons are disengenuous or that I'm hiding something...well, I think this might just be the joke of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,925,323 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
A parallel just dawned on me between this thread and something else.

Do women get breast implants for the same reason that they wear make-up?
Wait a sec, THIS is the joke of the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM
 
4,208 posts, read 4,560,551 times
Reputation: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Wait a sec, THIS is the joke of the day!
Maybe not.

To enhance their look or get attention? For some women, that is the case for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Wait a sec, THIS is the joke of the day!

Aren't they the same thing? Enhancing your chest = breast implants, Enhancing your face = make-up.

Desired effect = same?

No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
You were a MODEL? Alrighty then...

You asked why women wear makeup? Right? Women gave you answers. You don't think they're valid reasons. You, in your infinite wisdom, think you know what it's like to be a woman, I guess, because you're acting like YOUR reasons are better. You think that putting on makeup, for any reason other than attracting a mate, is a "facade of trickery". Talk about taking it to the most extreme...you do realize there are varying degrees of putting on makeup and the reasons are MANY...not just for attracting others, but MANY. Perhaps none of those reasons are valid enough for you either.

You state your preference for non-makeup-wearing women...good for you. How ignorant of you to insist that you KNOW... and yes, men DO wear makeup. But your question wasn't about men. It's clear you don't get where I'm coming from, but for you say my reasons are disengenuous or that I'm hiding something...well, I think this might just be the joke of the day.

Perhaps name a couple of the "many" reasons they wear make-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,925,323 times
Reputation: 6122
1 - Boost their self confidence.
2 - Cover a scar - acne or otherwise.
3 - Look polished for work.
4 - Try new products because some women really like that.
5 - To look attractive to others (this is a reason but not the only one...see?)
6 - Certain makeup protects skin from harmful sun

I get that you're saying a woman, to you, is more beautiful without all the added enhancements. But I think the point for you to remember is that IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU. Whether a woman wears makeup or not, you probably shouldn't take away that she is only trying to hide something.

I will note that my neighbor used to be made up ALL the time. Even when she went swimming, even when she was doing the cleaning. One time, and only one time, did I see her without makeup and that's because my parents sent me to her house to drop something off and it was early in the morning and she hadn't "put on her face" yet. She was thin, stylish and absolutely beautiful but she had major insecurities regarding her looks, so she never went without makeup. That was something she felt she had to do...was she hiding something? Not to any of us, but I believe she was hiding a bit behind it for her own reasons. In this case, and others similar to it, you may find fault with these women because something is driving them (almost frenzied) to be "on" all the time.

I think those times have changed a lot and women feel free to be more natural because we, as a society, are evolving (or some may think, devolving...IDK). Anyway, your point COULD apply there. But as normal women (as we get anyway) have told you, that MOST times we wear it, it's to please ourselves. That should be reason enough...and when the time comes that you have to make a decision about which woman will make the cut, you can adhere your own preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,878 posts, read 28,170,320 times
Reputation: 25998
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I do not wear a lot of make-up in my daily life (light powder and lipgloss usually) but I take great care of my skin and still look fresh, youthful and pulled together without much makeup.

But I will say that it bothers me to hear comments like this from men due to the fact that men SAY that they prefer women who wear little or no makeup but men usually pay the MOST attention to the women who wear a full face of makeup.
Yup this is so true.

I am usually like calipoopy on a regular day (+mascara). I work on taking care of my skin, but I have a few blemishes and spots, that I feel like covering up on some days.

For example......on NYE my sister wore a full face of makeup -- foundation, blush, lipstick, eye shadow (and she usually wears nothing or occasionally gloss). I put on more makeup than usual. For this night I added some blush, concealer and eye line, eye shadow for NYE.

We went out with a male friend....I've been friends with him for about 15 years, my sister for around 5 at this point. His first reaction: "OMG you guys look so hot!" *rolls eyes* He has seen us plenty of times with no makeup. So much for the no makeup look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
So the only point of wearing makeup is to attract a guy and once you've got the ring on your finger then there's no point in ever wearing it again? I'm not a troll without makeup, but I look better and feel better about myself when I have makeup on. There's also a big difference between wearing so much that you look like a different person without it on, and wearing just enough to enchance your features. But it's really all personal preference. I don't wear makeup to attract guys, I wear it because it makes me more confident.
I wear a bit of makeup to feel more polished. Or look more pulled together. Or lok like I actually got enough sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Why does it give you confidence? Because your sex appeal has been elevated and instead of using your skills, mind and thoughts to convey your point or purpose you are hoping that your enhanced physical features might be the deal breaker at your event?

Here is the definition of confidence.

"Confidence is generally described as a state of being certain either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective. "

What is the prediction or hypothesis that you are setting out to accomplish at the event? Make-up increases the confidence in this prediction? If the goal of the event is to showcase yourself then make-up is valid and logical. If it is for lets say a discussion on string theory with physicists would this increase the level of certainty in your argument of black holes?
I am a confident person. I probably had a few moments of low confidence as a pre-teen, but that didn't last long. I soon realized, no matter how awesome I feel about myself, if I don't put on a certain face for the public (dressing a certain way, being well-groomed, etc) people don't take me seriously. At work. In social occasions, etc. Everyone claims confidence is enough, but presentation counts for a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The only reason I can think of, other than to cover blemishes, is marketing. None of my friends have ever worn make-up, so it's far from all women who do so. If you don't like women with make-up, find one who doesn't wear it. They're around. Maybe it's more of a regional thing.
Most of my friends are in the no to little makeup crowd. Generally speaking lipgloss or lipstick and mascara pretty much sum it up for most of them. We are pretty low maintenance that way. But playing around with makeup occasionally is really fun. I hav found as I get older, I use makeup more as a tool to look a bit more polished. I am a consultant. And I tend to come across as really youthful, so adding a bit of makeup helps people take me more seriously! No makeup and I come across as a college student (especially if I throw on some sweats or leggings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
1 - Boost their self confidence.
2 - Cover a scar - acne or otherwise.
3 - Look polished for work.
4 - Try new products because some women really like that.
5 - To look attractive to others (this is a reason but not the only one...see?)
6 - Certain makeup protects skin from harmful sun
Yup this sums it up pretty well. I might add:
7. look more awake
8. HAVE FUN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top