U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,443,165 times
Reputation: 4238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Aren't they the same thing? Enhancing your chest = breast implants, Enhancing your face = make-up.

Desired effect = same?

No?
No. When I was in high school I used to wear pancake makeup, the purpose was to coverup my freckles. My family tried everything to get me to stop, but to no avail. I didn't even want to look in the mirror without makeup. The last thing I wanted was attention. I was hiding behind it.
Breast implants are for attention, the majority of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

1 - Boost their self confidence.
2 - Cover a scar - acne or otherwise.
3 - Look polished for work.
4 - Try new products because some women really like that.
5 - To look attractive to others (this is a reason but not the only one...see?)
6 - Certain makeup protects skin from harmful sun

I get that you're saying a woman, to you, is more beautiful without all the added enhancements. But I think the point for you to remember is that IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU. Whether a woman wears makeup or not, you probably shouldn't take away that she is only trying to hide something.

I will note that my neighbor used to be made up ALL the time. Even when she went swimming, even when she was doing the cleaning. One time, and only one time, did I see her without makeup and that's because my parents sent me to her house to drop something off and it was early in the morning and she hadn't "put on her face" yet. She was thin, stylish and absolutely beautiful but she had major insecurities regarding her looks, so she never went without makeup. That was something she felt she had to do...was she hiding something? Not to any of us, but I believe she was hiding a bit behind it for her own reasons. In this case, and others similar to it, you may find fault with these women because something is driving them (almost frenzied) to be "on" all the time.

I think those times have changed a lot and women feel free to be more natural because we, as a society, are evolving (or some may think, devolving...IDK). Anyway, your point COULD apply there. But as normal women (as we get anyway) have told you, that MOST times we wear it, it's to please ourselves. That should be reason enough...and when the time comes that you have to make a decision about which woman will make the cut, you can adhere your own preference.
On your list, all but #6 are means to the same goal. They all to present an artificial look to your face (the most unique part to each human) and change the natural state it is. Whether it's for picking up guys, getting "taken serious" at work, making your husband happy they are all for other people's consumption and their positive reaction to it is what you are hoping to accomplish.

Why don't you "please yourself" when you in the comfort of your own home, playing with your kids, [insert situation when you don't wear make-up]? My guess would be because there is no other party to impress with your enhanced look, or no fear of feeling ugly.

To the people who claim you need to pull yourself together for work, or shopping, etc.

I remember in college one of my favorite teachers was an PhD in Chemistry and she was a brilliant teacher. She would routinely come to class with what most of you would call dressing like a slob. Unkempt hair, no make-up, very comfortable clothes and was also overweight. She was probably one of the smartest teachers in the building, extremely funny and personable and taught the class with riveting lectures. She was great at her job, everyone loved her and I never once heard a mention or judgment about her "looks" nor did it take away from her professional status. She was the epitome of being "comfortable in her own skin" and her mind, personality and skills are what placed the deepest respect from students and colleagues.

Her self-confidence came from her firm grasp on her profession, research and knowing Chemistry inside and out. She knew that make-up, high heels and high-end clothing were merely an smoke screen to distract them from the purpose of her professional existence.

I guess, my interest is in why more people don't act like her, but it is pretty clear most people won't give any logical reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,056 posts, read 7,960,926 times
Reputation: 11449
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Kygman, this is what I am talking about. Your wife I assume is probably a really sensible, practical and intelligent woman.

Ruth, I stand corrected. I shouldn't have said that, maybe most women is more fair? As far as you and your friends, it may sound petty to others but that is awesome that you guys do that. I don't know you or your friends obviously, but your types appeal so much to me than women who need to put on make-up, high heels, highlight their hair all in an attempt to "look pretty" and create a facade.

Kudos to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
How can you wear make-up for you? Do you walk around with a mirror to look at your own face? That makes zero sense, this is the weakest and most disingenuous excuse so far.

One cannot see their own face, whether you have make-up or not you do not see it.
Okay so because I wear makeup everyday I'm stupid and impractical?

I honestly don't understand the point of this thread. You aren't posing a question because you are curious...you just want to argue that any woman who wears makeup is vain and wasting her time. You've had plenty of women here telling you why they wear makeup and yet you keep arguing why they are wrong to do so. You're a man. What do you know of why women wear makeup?

Highlighting your hair, wearing makeup, and dressing your best isn't a facade. It's calling looking your personal best which is what most of us aim for. According to your logic why bother brushing your teeth or showering or brushing your hair. Who cares, right?

Having a respectful discussion is one thing, but people who make threads just to argue really puzzle me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,085 posts, read 4,052,014 times
Reputation: 10061
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post

I guess, my interest is in why more people don't act like her, but it is pretty clear most people won't give any logical reason.
I guess, my interest is in why in the world you care whether or not millions of women do or don't act like your chemistry professor?

You keep asking for "logical reasons." Several of us have given you our personal reasons, but that isn't enough for you. You won't stop until we all "admit" that we do this to be sexually appealing to men outside of our home. OK, I'll play along. Forget everything else I said. I was wrong. You know me better than I know myself, and you've pointed out how I was deceiving my own self.

But now I realize it: I put on makeup to be sexually appealing to men outside my home.

OK? Is that enough for you? Is that what you wanted to hear to prove you are right. Fine. You win.

You've gone from curious to creepily obsessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
 
11,432 posts, read 19,452,773 times
Reputation: 18135
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Aren't they the same thing? Enhancing your chest = breast implants, Enhancing your face = make-up.

Desired effect = same?

No?
Not at all -- and if you'd had any compassion or knew anyone that suffered from breast cancer you'd have a whole different take on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I guess, my interest is in why in the world you care whether or not millions of women do or don't act like your chemistry professor?

You keep asking for "logical reasons." Several of us have given you our personal reasons, but that isn't enough for you. You won't stop until we all "admit" that we do this to be sexually appealing to men outside of our home. OK, I'll play along. Forget everything else I said. I was wrong. You know me better than I know myself, and you've pointed out how I was deceiving my own self.

But now I realize it: I put on makeup to be sexually appealing to men outside my home.

OK? Is that enough for you? Is that what you wanted to hear to prove you are right. Fine. You win.

You've gone from curious to creepily obsessed.
You want to be appealing to people, not men. Maybe like someone else said it is to look better than other women. This is fascinating psychological discussion for me, if you call it creepily obsessed you misinterpret my rationale. Heck its Friday and work is almost over for the day and I will be off to enjoy my weekend

Just because you give me reasons, doesn't mean I have to believe you. What do you have to say about the Chemistry teacher I told you about? There are people who wear make-up and people who do not. My posts are solely meant to prod the discussion towards certain areas of the psychological underpinnings.

I don't understand the emotion behind your post, you are clearly a little razzed because I don't just say OK thanks and move on to something else? I don't mean to if so.

Last edited by derosterreich; 01-11-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
- Yeah cause nothing is more attractive than a women who lets herself go. I think its a bit of a bait and switch if you date all dolled up and then just drop all that as soon as you are with someone.

- Makeup can have many purposes. Its not just about sex.

- represent features...lol...you are taking this way to seriously.

- Should we all stop bathing and brushing our teeth too because our partner sees us dirty? That wouldn't make much sense.

- People wear it for different reasons. I like it. I have fun with it. It can act as a sunscreen. Hide pms dark circles when pale, moisturizes skin and treats inflammation (mineral type I have), keeps it from getting chapped in the winter etc. These all make for better "naked" skin.


Funny though I do agree women should pull confidence from other areas than vanity. I hate the social push it has to be one or the other. Why can't it be both?

Grooming and beauty things can be relaxing to some. We ENJOY it regardless of how you feel about.
Girls just want to have fun. Deal with it.



Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun - YouTube



Thank goodness cindy didn't tone it down for a man...
It would not of been the 80s without her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not at all -- and if you'd had any compassion or knew anyone that suffered from breast cancer you'd have a whole different take on it.

I know on a personally level two people close to me that have or had breast cancer. (one is currently going through Chemo)

To keep the question on point, assume hey have not or are not afflicted with breast cancer and this isn't the reason for the breast implants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
- Yeah cause nothing is more attractive than a women who lets herself go. I think its a bit of a bait and switch if you date all dolled up and then just drop all that as soon as you are with someone.

- Makeup can have many purposes. Its not just about sex.

- represent features...lol...you are taking this way to seriously.

- Should we all stop bathing and brushing our teeth too because our partner sees us dirty? That wouldn't make much sense.

- People wear it for different reasons. I like it. I have fun with it. It can act as a sunscreen. Hide pms dark circles when pale, moisturizes skin and treats inflammation (mineral type I have), keeps it from getting chapped in the winter etc. These all make for better "naked" skin.


Funny though I do agree women should pull confidence from other areas than vanity. I hate the social push it has to be one or the other. Why can't it be both?

Grooming and beauty things can be relaxing to some. We ENJOY it regardless of how you feel about.
Girls just want to have fun. Deal with it.



Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun - YouTube



Thank goodness cindy didn't tone it down for a man...
It would not of been the 80s without her.
Some salient points, appreciate the input. SPF could be more than vanity, I never thought of that angle. If that is indeed your main reason for putting it on, I understand.

The bathing/brushing teeth argument has been addressed. It is for hygiene and not just vanity, it can directly impact your health by ignoring or not practicing this on a regular basis.

Doesn't some make-up actually damage your skin? How can covering an organ of your body with chemical compounds not be considered a danger on some levels? Maybe causing skin issues down the road? (I'm just assuming, I don't know the details on what make-up and what the ingredients are in most products)

Guys like to have fun too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,920 times
Reputation: 716
Here is something I found from the 'US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health' and it pretty much confirms much more eloquently my theory on make-up. "camouflage vs seduction" - to hide undesirable traits or seduce (presumably males)

Here it is.

Why women use makeup: implication of psychological traits in makeup functions.



'Makeup acts and stimulates three of our senses: touch (which encompasses all sensations from the body surface), smell (fragrance), and sight (the process of becoming and looking beautiful). The positive stimulation of these senses by makeup can induce sensory as well as psychological pleasure. In order to understand the relationship of women to their makeup, we interviewed different groups of women on their quality of life and makeup habits. Then, through four standard well-validated psychometric self-questionnaires, we examined the possible relation between the need to make up oneself and specific psychological features. Our first results clearly showed that makeup could support two opposite "up" functions, i.e., "camouflage" vs "seduction." Concerning their psychological profiles, results showed that women of the functional class "camouflage" are more anxious, defensive, and emotionally unstable compared to those of the functional class "seduction," who appear to be more sociable, assertive, and extroverted. Further analyses revealed a division of the two classes into subclasses of volunteers with opposed personality and psychological profiles. This new classification allowed us to define more precisely the relations existing within the subjective experience of women during the makeup process. In conclusion, our study revealed that beyond the simple application of colorful products on the face, makeup has two major functional implications depending on specific psychological profiles of women.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top