U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,056 posts, read 7,954,291 times
Reputation: 11449

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Here is something I found from the 'US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health' and it pretty much confirms much more eloquently my theory on make-up. "camouflage vs seduction" - to hide undesirable traits or seduce (presumably males)

Here it is.

Why women use makeup: implication of psychological traits in makeup functions.



'Makeup acts and stimulates three of our senses: touch (which encompasses all sensations from the body surface), smell (fragrance), and sight (the process of becoming and looking beautiful). The positive stimulation of these senses by makeup can induce sensory as well as psychological pleasure. In order to understand the relationship of women to their makeup, we interviewed different groups of women on their quality of life and makeup habits. Then, through four standard well-validated psychometric self-questionnaires, we examined the possible relation between the need to make up oneself and specific psychological features. Our first results clearly showed that makeup could support two opposite "up" functions, i.e., "camouflage" vs "seduction." Concerning their psychological profiles, results showed that women of the functional class "camouflage" are more anxious, defensive, and emotionally unstable compared to those of the functional class "seduction," who appear to be more sociable, assertive, and extroverted. Further analyses revealed a division of the two classes into subclasses of volunteers with opposed personality and psychological profiles. This new classification allowed us to define more precisely the relations existing within the subjective experience of women during the makeup process. In conclusion, our study revealed that beyond the simple application of colorful products on the face, makeup has two major functional implications depending on specific psychological profiles of women.'
Yawn. Why don't you go write a research paper? Women like to wear makeup. It makes them feel pretty. It really is that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I know on a personally level two people close to me that have or had breast cancer. (one is currently going through Chemo)

To keep the question on point, assume hey have not or are not afflicted with breast cancer and this isn't the reason for the breast implants.


I really don't see a difference is construction or reconstruction.

If you were given breasts that had to be removed you are just having the Flowers for Algernon moment of seeing what its like to not be endowed as the assumed female figure should be in your mind. The scars left as a reminder but still are just part of the natural you.

Both states contain people that have been subjected to mental pain. The physical,financial and life pain of cancer sets it apart but why is the solution to undergo more issues with implants as they are now? Why is that ok? Like.."hey you survived cancer but now you really need some boobs"...Its almost insulting in how it is expected or pushed on patients.

In the future it could be beneficial to the cancer survivor and the elective candidate:
http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/yournews/47438

Nanotech Breast Implant Can Deter Cancer Cells | Indiana Plastic Surgery Blog

But for now...its all still just a vanity choice to resemble an ideal for whatever reason the individual has.
I don't think either person has more of a right to implants though. Its the same situation at that development point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM
 
30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Reputation: 13995
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
Actually I don't feel the need to wear make-up in general and I only use a little when going to work or social gatherings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,922,089 times
Reputation: 6122
You are not very rational in thought. You ask women a question, they answer honestly, you twist their words (even after countless explanation), you refuse any kind of answer as dumb and illogical and then what??? What is your goal here. It's interesting you say this is a fascinating conversation...it's not a conversation at all when one party refuses to acknowledge the other side or to say they're disengenuous or flat out wrong.

SO, you're something else - the assumptions you make are just plain stupid. REALLY stupid. How on earth do you know what MY motivation is for putting on makeup...I've given you several reasons on several posts and you think it's wrong cause you don't understand? That says a lot more about your intellect than you'd probably like.

As for you chemistry teacher: at any time that you knew her, did you ask her directly why she didn't wear makeup or why she looked slobby? If you didn't, shut the H up. You have no idea. You're presuming that because she was brilliant in chemistry that she mastered brilliance in appearance and decided it wasn't important. What a foolish notion. You're young and not even close enough to mature to understand all the scenarios of a woman's life, let alone this trivial matter of makeup. I won't even feel sorry for you when an actual woman hears you theory and doesn't pop you in the mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Some salient points, appreciate the input. SPF could be more than vanity, I never thought of that angle. If that is indeed your main reason for putting it on, I understand.

The bathing/brushing teeth argument has been addressed. It is for hygiene and not just vanity, it can directly impact your health by ignoring or not practicing this on a regular basis.

Doesn't some make-up actually damage your skin? How can covering an organ of your body with chemical compounds not be considered a danger on some levels? Maybe causing skin issues down the road? (I'm just assuming, I don't know the details on what make-up and what the ingredients are in most products)

Guys like to have fun too!
Well we really don't need to bathe as often as most americans do. Toothbrushing yes. Shaving -no. Deodorant - no.

Actually yes it can.

Sun is the most damaging but cosmetics can be toxic as well:
Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

But so are a lot of the products both sexes use. Food can also act on the body in the same way and cause damage etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
 
Location: South Minneapolis
4,523 posts, read 5,051,429 times
Reputation: 6496
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Yawn. Why don't you go write a research paper? Women like to wear makeup. It makes them feel pretty. It really is that simple.
The OP wants you to say that anything you do that's not strictly utilitarian indicates that you have a subconscious desire to have sex. He doesn't want to discuss the underlying psychological reasons for his need to get such a response from women. Could it be that discussing make-up turns him on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,436 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Yawn. Why don't you go write a research paper? Women like to wear makeup. It makes them feel pretty. It really is that simple.
I know, anything that comes from scientists is boring and not relevant. If you naturally looked prettier than any make-up could enhance, then you wouldn't wear make-up to look "pretty" because there is no higher level of beauty to attain. To look pretty means you are unsatisfied with your base level of beauty and you feel the need to enhance it for psychological relief.

Wearing make-up, you fall into either the "camouflage" or "seduction" category, which what I was exactly looking for. I was in the psychological ballpark, but this was the clarification I was looking for.

It is really simple? No offense, but you apparently lack critical thinking on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,436 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The OP wants you to say that anything you do that's not strictly utilitarian indicates that you have a subconscious desire to have sex. He doesn't want to discuss the underlying psychological reasons for his need to get such a response from women. Could it be that discussing make-up turns him on?

I absolutely want to discuss the underlying psychological reasons, I've stated that loud and clear over and over and it was the goal of this thread. Perhaps read a little more?

I can assure you this doesn't turn me on, a beautiful woman in the flesh does though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Here is something I found from the 'US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health' and it pretty much confirms much more eloquently my theory on make-up. "camouflage vs seduction" - to hide undesirable traits or seduce (presumably males)

Here it is.

Why women use makeup: implication of psychological traits in makeup functions.



'Makeup acts and stimulates three of our senses: touch (which encompasses all sensations from the body surface), smell (fragrance), and sight (the process of becoming and looking beautiful). The positive stimulation of these senses by makeup can induce sensory as well as psychological pleasure. In order to understand the relationship of women to their makeup, we interviewed different groups of women on their quality of life and makeup habits. Then, through four standard well-validated psychometric self-questionnaires, we examined the possible relation between the need to make up oneself and specific psychological features. Our first results clearly showed that makeup could support two opposite "up" functions, i.e., "camouflage" vs "seduction." Concerning their psychological profiles, results showed that women of the functional class "camouflage" are more anxious, defensive, and emotionally unstable compared to those of the functional class "seduction," who appear to be more sociable, assertive, and extroverted. Further analyses revealed a division of the two classes into subclasses of volunteers with opposed personality and psychological profiles. This new classification allowed us to define more precisely the relations existing within the subjective experience of women during the makeup process. In conclusion, our study revealed that beyond the simple application of colorful products on the face, makeup has two major functional implications depending on specific psychological profiles of women.'

Now I actually want to know the subjects age,cycle status, birth control use and hormone levels.
LOL

PMS = camo
OVULATING = Seduction
N/A (HORMONES REGULAR OR MENOPAUSAL) = FUN

?

Thats my guess.
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
 
Location: In a cave
946 posts, read 789,436 times
Reputation: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I really don't see a difference is construction or reconstruction.

If you were given breasts that had to be removed you are just having the Flowers for Algernon moment of seeing what its like to not be endowed as the assumed female figure should be in your mind. The scars left as a reminder but still are just part of the natural you.

Both states contain people that have been subjected to mental pain. The physical,financial and life pain of cancer sets it apart but why is the solution to undergo more issues with implants as they are now? Why is that ok? Like.."hey you survived cancer but now you really need some boobs"...Its almost insulting in how it is expected or pushed on patients.

In the future it could be beneficial to the cancer survivor and the elective candidate:
Nanotechnology holds promise for safer breast implants - nanotechweb.org

Nanotech Breast Implant Can Deter Cancer Cells | Indiana Plastic Surgery Blog

But for now...its all still just a vanity choice to resemble an ideal for whatever reason the individual has.
I don't think either person has more of a right to implants though. Its the same situation at that development point.
You seem like the rational, logical and intelligent kind of person I would enjoy discussion with and can shed the most light on some of psychological details surrounding this thread and breast implants as well. I didn't want to poke this bear (breast cancer) out of respect because of the emotion surrounding it would simply derail it so fast by irrational people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top