Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,523,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
When I am at work, there are hardly any women I am attracted to. My hair is kept short because it is easier to manage and I simply dry it with a towel. I only shave on certain occasions, and because its winter it is rather unkempt but fully functional.

I wore jeans and a t-shirt to work under my coat, which to me protected me from the elements and also made me comfortable at work today. It was completely practical.

I am not married, but I am currently dating someone and if I felt I saw someone I was attracted to I may or may not present a higher level of sexual facade. I personally would rather attract someone on my default looks and mind rather than be fake, but that is just me.

I wasn't trying to slam women, I completely understand why single women use make-up. There could be an opportunity to entice a prospective man/women (depending on how you roll) and this make logical sense.

Some of you are getting a little bent out of shape! Settle down, this is merely for discussion and psychological understanding!
Another observation may be why women show their legs and wear heels, if not to attract or look sexy. Legs are warmer in pants, and heels are just to accent the legs, and make women taller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM

11,028 posts, read 17,412,196 times
My ex used to attend a independent missionary baptist church. One Sunday the preacher started in on how some women dress, then he brought up make up. He said a little make up is OK. "Any old barn could use a little paint every now and then." At that comment, his wife spoke up,"And who are you calling an old barn?" Talk about something getting a lot of AMENs! lol

Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,523,850 times
I just thought of a couple other reasons we may spruce up, putting your best foot forward so to speak.
We represent the company we work for, or the profession we specialize in. Another is that you don't want women to see the cute guy, and wonder what he's doing with HER (you)! We also don't want his eyes to wander.
How's that?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM

245 posts, read 518,258 times
I wear it because it makes me look better.

Like push up bras, and tight jeans.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,583,905 times
I wear make-up sometimes to support the beauty industry and keep jobs in America...doesn't everyone??

Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,966,478 times
I don't wear much makeup -- just a light tinted moisturizer, a little blush, and some light lip gloss -- but I wear it every day, even if I'm not going to go out of the house all day. Why? Because I'm used to seeing my face that way in the mirror. I've been seeing a made-up face in the mirror every day for 50+ years. I know the only times I don't wear makeup are when I'm either getting ready to go to bed or when I'm sick. So if I look in the mirror and don't see makeup, I think, "You look tired or sick." I need to see that little bit of makeup on my face in the mirror.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
It's fun.

I enjoy playing with a smokey eye. Or doing a monochromatic face. Or something natural. Or something WILD. Sometimes I truly feel like an artist with a fresh canvas when I decide to wear makeup. What can I say to the world today?

Am *I* the makeup? No -- the make up is an extension of my personality.

And I don't wear it every day. I clean for a living and it's dumb to spend time on a face, throw on a pocket t and push garbage. Although -- I often do come home, shower and put on scent because of that. It's very nice to smell something nice after pushing garbage.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,923,720 times
Sorry OP, you are coming across as a puritanical know-it-all. Look---women wear makeup to look and feel pretty. Whether it's for themselves and/or others---who cares? Many girls watched their Mom's apply makeup when they were little, and they saw how pretty their Moms looked and wanted to do the same. Of course not all girls did this (nor do all Moms wear makeup)---but a lot of girls start wearing makeup because they wanted to look beautiful like their Moms. Also--for better or worse, we live in a society where image & looks are valued most. It doesn't really matter if you think it's silly to wear makeup, but you cannot argue with the appeal of good aesthetics. Even chimps primp and preen for pete's sake. Aesthetics---pure and simple.

Women around the world have enhanced their beauty with makeup, perfumes, garments, accessories, etc. for centuries. And so have men! Perhaps not so much with makeup, but with other accroutrements or rituals such as: shaving (and other hair cutting), cologne, watches, sports cars, sunglasses, gold chains, taking steroids to be buff, badges/medals, etc.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM

11,028 posts, read 17,412,196 times
My wife doesn't wear any make up and she looks fine to me! Said she never saw the need.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM

102,076 posts, read 107,068,415 times
The only reason I can think of, other than to cover blemishes, is marketing. None of my friends have ever worn make-up, so it's far from all women who do so. If you don't like women with make-up, find one who doesn't wear it. They're around. Maybe it's more of a regional thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty