U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,438,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL, that is really funny. I tried similar measurements....and it appears that is unsure what to do if the waist bust or waist hip gap is too large.

Weird. What numbers did you plug in? You can just post the difference if you don't want to post the actual numbers.

I think the error comes up when the bust is two inches smaller than the hips? Seems what gave me the error.

Then you can just go to this page:
Female Body Types, Body Shapes

Where you can see be the description that would be a pear or a spoon.

With bust size you just go by the total dimensions. Anything over a B/C cup you have to try stuff on.
And then there are all those tips to shop for that as well.

Not all a-line skirts will work if the hemline is at the wrong spot. Its more about finding the right shape of clothing and cutting through stuff that is most likely not going to be flattering in any way shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM

26,894 posts, read 28,195,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Weird. What numbers did you plug in? You can just post the difference if you don't want to post the actual numbers.

I think the error comes up when the bust is two inches smaller than the hips? Seems what gave me the error.

Then you can just go to this page:
Female Body Types, Body Shapes

Where you can see be the description that would be a pear or a spoon.

With bust size you just go by the total dimensions. Anything over a B/C cup you have to try stuff on.
And then there are all those tips to shop for that as well.

Not all a-line skirts will work if the hemline is at the wrong spot. Its more about finding the right shape of clothing and cutting through stuff that is most likely not going to be flattering in any way shape or form.
I posted my real measurements (42-33-44) at the moment. Then I posted some approximate ones from when I was in high school or so. (38-28-40) It didn't like the high school ones. I think it is something to do with the difference between the waist and hips. 36-24-36 seemed to work fine. But not 34-24-36.

My shape calculator would also ask more questions:
1. bra size
2. thigh size
3. butt size/position
4. torso length/waist location

I have to size up quite a bit to find a blazer to fit my bust. And my shoulders are kinda narrow. And then I need to take in and raise the waist to get a good fit. It is really hard. I wouldn't mind a petite blazer, but my arms are too long.... I generally avoid blazers!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,438,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I posted my real measurements (42-33-44) at the moment. Then I posted some approximate ones from when I was in high school or so. (38-28-40) It didn't like the high school ones. I think it is something to do with the difference between the waist and hips. 36-24-36 seemed to work fine. But not 34-24-36.

My shape calculator would also ask more questions:
1. bra size
2. thigh size
3. butt size/position
4. torso length/waist location

I have to size up quite a bit to find a blazer to fit my bust. And my shoulders are kinda narrow. And then I need to take in and raise the waist to get a good fit. It is really hard. I wouldn't mind a petite blazer, but my arms are too long.... I generally avoid blazers!
Weird. Has to be a coding error then.

Anything with a 2 inch difference from bust to hips and
Anything with a 12 inch difference from waist to hips unless the bust is = to the hips
= error

Hahaha.

I would LOVE to have a calculator that actually took measures like a tailor. THAT would be nice.

For blazers I just go with something that fits the shoulders and leave it open. Roll up the sleeves a bit and throw on a nice chunky bracelet. You can find shorter bodies on jackets in the junior/miss section too. They tend to be designed to be worn open more so than most women's lines.
I agree though that blazer hunting is a challenge for busty or shapes with tiny waists and full hips.
It just doesn't follow the natural body line more often than not.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,281,001 times
Mine was accurate.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM

801 posts, read 1,120,556 times
I'm a "ruler"....accurate

Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 AM

13 posts, read 44,909 times
I found it to be fairly accurate for me, so it's a sort of fun thing as a starting point, but it would be more accurate (and detailed) if it took into account other things like short torso vs long torso, long legs vs short legs, etc. I personally don't see the need for bra sizes to be taken into account however because yes there is a difference between say a 34D and 38D or a 36C and a 36B, but all of those difference I think are considered when you put in your bust size. A 34D bra should = 38 inch bust, 38D = 42 inch bust, 36C = 39 inch bust, 36B = 38 inch bust, etc... while a 34D and a 36B are in theory both 38 inch busts, I think those differences would also be factored in when bust and waist measurements are contrasted.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCadillac View Post
I personally don't see the need for bra sizes to be taken into account however because yes there is a difference between say a 34D and 38D or a 36C and a 36B, but all of those difference I think are considered when you put in your bust size. A 34D bra should = 38 inch bust, 38D = 42 inch bust, 36C = 39 inch bust, 36B = 38 inch bust, etc... while a 34D and a 36B are in theory both 38 inch busts, I think those differences would also be factored in when bust and waist measurements are contrasted.
You'd change your mind if there was a larger gap in between the size of your ribcage and bust. Most clothing is made for about a 3-5 inch gap. I am at the upper end (about a 8-9 inch gap), so what happens to me in tops is that they are too wide from shoulder to shoulder, and not wide enough from front to back. Which means that there is a lot of bunching around the bust in short sleeve and long sleeved tops or dresses. And for sleeveless and cap sleeves, the cut is too low or too loose and half of my bra sticks our around my underarm. Separately, button downs fit horribly. Similar problems occur at the other end of the spectrum as well.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM

I see your point in the cut of clothing but in a calculator determining shape, I don't think it matters because the difference between bust and waist measurements would make rib cage measurements obvious. JMO.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCadillac View Post
I see your point in the cut of clothing but in a calculator determining shape, I don't think it matters because the difference between bust and waist measurements would make rib cage measurements obvious. JMO.
Not quite. Waist =/= bust (ribcage). Waist shape is important as well. Some people are straight from rib cage to waist. Some are wider at the waist. Some are wider at the bust. For my particular measurements, there are plenty of variations on how the bust could look, depending on body shape and proportions.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 AM

Yes but I have never seen anyone with a rib cage any smaller than their waist or any larger than their bust, so I figure that in a calculator with a limited number of general shapes (8 in this one), taking into account rib cage size wouldn't make a lot of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty