U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM

15,246 posts, read 23,861,164 times

Advertisements

Timbz, or motorcyle boots.
or work boots.

i hate sneakers.
''loafers, I wouldnt be caught dead in them, ever !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,223,797 times
What are Timbz?

I also got tired of sneakers (athletic shoes), and loafers seemed like an obvious alternative.

Where does the passion in the dislike of loafers come from?

Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM

281 posts, read 945,951 times
The problem with loafers is cheap loafers look really crappy. More expensive (often Italian) loafers can look great, but I'd say you need to be willing to pay $250+ to get into that category (though you should look at brands like To Boot New York for sales if you're willing to pay $200 as you suggested from the Allen Edmonds link).

What about something like this: McTavish - Wingtip Lace-up Casual Mens Shoes by Allen Edmonds

Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,719,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
What are Timbz?

I also got tired of sneakers (athletic shoes), and loafers seemed like an obvious alternative.

Where does the passion in the dislike of loafers come from?
It just comes from personal opinions. I am not a fan of loafers and they just never mesh with my style of dress. The cheap ones do not look good at all and even the expensive ones that look "better" are not my style and thus I am not willing to spend the money on them. Sneakers are the way to go for me unless I'm actually dressing up.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:20 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,223,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
The problem with loafers is cheap loafers look really crappy. More expensive (often Italian) loafers can look great, but I'd say you need to be willing to pay $250+ to get into that category (though you should look at brands like To Boot New York for sales if you're willing to pay $200 as you suggested from the Allen Edmonds link).

What about something like this: McTavish - Wingtip Lace-up Casual Mens Shoes by Allen Edmonds
Allen Edmonds is an American manufacturer (just throwing that out there). And I definitely agree with you that some of the cheaper variety of slip-on's look awful.

As far as Italian shoes go, I disagree that you have to buy Italian or necessarily pay $250+ to get good shoes that aren't 'cheap'. The Italians may make fine shoes, but many of the well-known Italian brands are either too flashy or dressy for my liking. I guess Gucci and Prada put out some nice shoes that might fit the bill, but there's no point in paying what they cost. The 'Gucci loafer' is attractive, but seems to have a strong association. Plus, I think to some extent if you're wearing a RL, J Crew, BR, Levi's variety of jeans and quality but not flashy or needlessly expensive shirts, well, I think more modest but quality shoes are the perfect pairing. Expensive, flashy Italian shoes should probably be reserved for somebody who wears clothes that are almost all from Nordstrom, NM, Saks, etc.

As far as the lace-up's you linked to - those aren't for me, although I'm not opposed to casual lace-up shoes.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM

2,725 posts, read 3,974,665 times
Can't stand loafers; I'm definitely not a loafer kind of guy.

These are my go-to pair at the moment:

but I also have a pair of 10 year old "chucks" that I wear some, and some herringbone pattern vans-style slip ons.

I of course have several nice pairs of dress shoes for work, weddings, and other nicer occasions but I wear very casual / athletic shoes otherwise.

[+] Rate this post positively

Besides wrestling, I also ran x-country for four years. You do know that those shoes are for races?? Usually runners where trainers which are a bit heavier for practive/ training and then use those waffle types for the races since they are so light. I don't think that they are meant to be worn casually.

As far as what I wear. It depends, if I'm wearing sweats I have to wear my Nike Air max's. They go better with sweats. If I'm wearing jeans then I wear a lower cut shoe. Could be black low cut converse. Could be old school Addidas like Stan smiths. I even have a plain black pair of vans. Otherwise I'll wear low top pumas. Not the kind that show the little puma. I'm talking the classic type. White leather, puma emblem grey, with very little else in detail. I wish I could find a pic of them. Not the onest that have been floating around for the last few years. Not the ones where at the tip, they show a puma. I don't like those. The design is too gawdy. I like my sneakers classic. Not too colorful. If I had to wear a shoe, I go against the grain and wear my penny loafers (I'm 38 by the way, or I'll wear some regular loafers. When I was in highschool, women used to look good in penny loafers at my school. I grew up in NY state. I'm trying to bring them back...lol

Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 PM

11 posts, read 13,628 times
Supra High Tops.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM

26,925 posts, read 28,281,037 times
On men, I like loafers, ankle books (in the right season) and "street sneakers" like:

and on the right guy? Wingtips!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,719,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Can't stand loafers; I'm definitely not a loafer kind of guy.

These are my go-to pair at the moment:

but I also have a pair of 10 year old "chucks" that I wear some, and some herringbone pattern vans-style slip ons.

I of course have several nice pairs of dress shoes for work, weddings, and other nicer occasions but I wear very casual / athletic shoes otherwise.

[+] Rate this post positively

Besides wrestling, I also ran x-country for four years. You do know that those shoes are for races?? Usually runners where trainers which are a bit heavier for practive/ training and then use those waffle types for the races since they are so light. I don't think that they are meant to be worn casually.

As far as what I wear. It depends, if I'm wearing sweats I have to wear my Nike Air max's. They go better with sweats. If I'm wearing jeans then I wear a lower cut shoe. Could be black low cut converse. Could be old school Addidas like Stan smiths. I even have a plain black pair of vans. Otherwise I'll wear low top pumas. Not the kind that show the little puma. I'm talking the classic type. White leather, puma emblem grey, with very little else in detail. I wish I could find a pic of them. Not the onest that have been floating around for the last few years. Not the ones where at the tip, they show a puma. I don't like those. The design is too gawdy. I like my sneakers classic. Not too colorful. If I had to wear a shoe, I go against the grain and wear my penny loafers (I'm 38 by the way, or I'll wear some regular loafers. When I was in highschool, women used to look good in penny loafers at my school. I grew up in NY state. I'm trying to bring them back...lol
those shoes I posted are just casual "atheletic" shoes. They may look like a shoe meant for actual running but they are not. Even if they were, would that make a difference in me wearing them casually? I've gotten lots of compliments since getting them last month (all from women) so it's not like they look bad with my style.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM

79 posts, read 44,797 times
8" Sears Diehard Duty boots black with jump boot side zipper.

Brown Bass or Docker leather boat deck shoes.

Black Nike Air Crosstrainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty