U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,361,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Well? (It wouldn't hurt to mention your age.)

Personally, I've been wearing a pair of Ecco loafers for a couple years now. I'm 26. I don't see any reason for wearing athletic shoes unless for a specific purpose. Loafers seem like the best option. I'm wanting to maybe upgrade to a nicer pair of loafers for casual wear, but have a fear of making choices that are 'too old' for me.
I wear 5-fingers shoes the vast majority of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 AM

145 posts, read 184,139 times
Quote:
What are Timbz?

Short for Timberlands.

Loafers are always a great choice. The have a look of class and refinement. You can find a nice loafer that's not too over the top. Some shoes have such a terrible Italian/European influence, they start looking very trendy.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM

15,238 posts, read 23,808,631 times
Quote:
What are Timbz?

I also got tired of sneakers (athletic shoes), and loafers seemed like an obvious alternative.

Where does the passion in the dislike of loafers come from?

Timbz is a street name for Timberland

Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM

326 posts, read 405,176 times
The only shoes that I wear these days are vans, with the exception of a pair of Adidas that I wear for work.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM

2,725 posts, read 3,968,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
those shoes I posted are just casual "atheletic" shoes. They may look like a shoe meant for actual running but they are not. Even if they were, would that make a difference in me wearing them casually? I've gotten lots of compliments since getting them last month (all from women) so it's not like they look bad with my style.
Wrong and wrong on the bolded part. The question to where I underlined, answer) absolutely not. By all means wear what make you happy. I wasn't trying to embarriss you, but was simply trying to educate you. Those are running shoes and specifically for racing. They are not made to hold up well for the casual wearer because of that. That and the fact that they are so light, there is less material to rip at. They tear apart easily, because of the lack of material which is why they are so light.
They are meant for running mainly. That's the purpose of the soles, and the lightweight of the material used to make them. But not just causual-races. They are not "casual" in nature. That's not the purpose. If they are waffle shaped, then they are for racing. Some of them have little holes on the bottom where you can put spikes in for running on wet, muddy courses. I wasn't trying to be rude either. I was just trying to inform you. It's great that you get compliments. More power to ya. But, understand that they are not meant to be worn everyday. If you wear them everyday "casually", they will wear out quickly and are more than likely to tear. Just letting you know. They're awesome shoes. Some of the lightest on the planet. That's why their called "waffle racers". Look at track runners if you don't believe me, they all have on some variation of that shoe. Some of them can get pricey too, especially the ones where you can put spikes into them.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM

2,976 posts, read 4,703,845 times
Sorry but I have to say you are wrong. I didn't take offense as I know you weren't trying to be rude at all but they are not running shoes. I know what kind of shoes you are talking about and these are not it. The reason you are getting thrown off though is this: that specific shoe is a "throwback" shoe that is supposed to LOOK like a retro track shoe but is indeed a true casual athletic shoe not meant for running. I like the look of running shoes but I don't wear true running shoes as my everyday pair because they simply would not hold up (like you stated).

I have worn this same style of shoe for awhile now. I used to always get PUMAs in this style and then a few months ago year got Sauconys. They have the same profile as a running shoe but are different and are not actually meant for running. They are built to hold up longer (since track type shoes don't hold up well for everyday use) and the soles are even slightly different. One of my PUMA pairs is 3 years old and still gets use.

If you need any further proof, this is straight from Saucony's website as the inspiration for this casual shoe stating that they took inspiration from one of their classic track shoes and used that profile to design a casual street shoe. The tagline reads "We took the original Bullet, a 1985 track shoe with spikes and all, and made it street legal". They also ONLY show up under the list of "Casual" shoes on Saucony's website and NOT under the list of any style of running shoe on their website.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM

5,541 posts, read 8,204,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I wear 5-fingers shoes the vast majority of the time.
Seriously? I have a pair, but I only wear them with shorts, when I am doing a walk or run. I wouldn't wear them out anywhere. Interesting.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 PM

5,541 posts, read 8,204,682 times

Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,929 times
Default I go barefoot

I just go barefoot most of the time with jeans. It's comfortable.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,509,600 times
Short boots, leopard flats, leather flats, flip-flops, light weight athletic shoes. I'm 63.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty