U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM

11,395 posts, read 15,991,510 times

Advertisements

Baggy clothes don't hide anything - they just make you look bigger.

I wear a lot of dresses that nip in at the waist and then flow away from the body (a sort of 50s-esque silhouette), often set off by a belt. That look can show off a small waist, but it also hides extra weight on the hips and exaggerates the look of the silhouette to the eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I have never seen that to be the case.
Heavy people still look heavy - and ofter much heavier - in skinny jeans.
Not the problem is that many people think the point of "skinny pants" is to get them a size too small.

Just about anyone can wear skinny pants. Get them in your size. Make sure you get the right type of top for your shape. And make sure you wear the right shoes. After that, it is all good.

I am not skinny, and I wear skinny pants. I make sure the rise is high enough...and I wear a long enough top that fits well. At the moment I have been into peplum tops and skinny pants. It looks cute! But I'd look horrible if I decided to wear a really baggy and shapeless shirt. Or if I tucked my top in.

Just about anyone can pull off skinny pants + tunic-length top + long cardigan and look cute.

OP: it all depends on your shape and proportions, what will work well for you.

If you tend to carry weight above the waist, you'll want to go for a longer and looser top. If you carry it in the lower waist/hips/thighs try a fit and flare dress.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,717,149 times
Not everyone can pull off the skinny jeans/jeggings fad. I have seen people with big muscular calves and a big flat bottoms (wide hips) and on those types of bodies skinny jeans look horrible. Add a long flowy cardigan and it only draws attention to the big bottom. Skinny jeans and jegging type pants are especially if they are carrying extra weight on their thighs so that their thighs touch when they walk. Those types of bodies should stay away from the skinny jeans and pray for the decade when that fad has finally died.

Skinny jeans also make people's feet look like clown feet - like they have big flat and wide feet. So if you already have big feet and are self conscious about them, I wouldn't try the skinny jean thing. Skinny jeans + flats are the worst for this issue. And the pointy-toe shoe thing does not elongate the leg like the fashion mags would like us to believe so we go out and buy the crap they advertise. The only thing that gives a person the impression of having longer legs than they actually do is wearing heels with long pants or a long dress or skirt. The only thing shoes with pointy toes gives us are podiatry issues.

I am beginning to feel like once you reach a certain age (maybe it is 30'ish?), you really do have to step-up your game and stop following the fads/trends and letting the marketing influence what you wear, and you have to start finding your own style and going with that. Beyond 20-something, you gotta let go of pack mentality and dance to your own drummer. Our bodies are different, our bank accounts are usually different, and our minds are also very different. It's a time for how we present ourselves to the world-at-large on a daily basis to reflect these developments.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
I agree that trying to go "trendy" after about age 30 looks a bit silly. I think that if people are trying to LOOK THEIR BEST they need to be brutally honest with themselves and invest in a really good, full length mirror as well as a nice big mirror they can use to look at how they look from behind. They need to wear clothing that minimizes their liabilities and maximizes their assets - without worrying about the latest, most trendy styles.

Now, if you're just trying to be COMFORTABLE or you're trying to be self expressive and aren't worried about whether or not clothes are flattering, well, just have at it. But don't kid yourself and think that just because you like something on a hanger or in a magazine, it's going to look good on you.

Not many of us have perfectly proportioned bodies, even if we are in a healthy weight range. It's reality - the sooner we learn to deal with it, the better we'll dress!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree that trying to go "trendy" after about age 30 looks a bit silly. I think that if people are trying to LOOK THEIR BEST they need to be brutally honest with themselves and invest in a really good, full length mirror as well as a nice big mirror they can use to look at how they look from behind. They need to wear clothing that minimizes their liabilities and maximizes their assets - without worrying about the latest, most trendy styles.
I am over 30....and I still love trends!

You can still follow them, just not head to toe.

For example, patterned jeans, textured jeans, colored jeans, oxblood (dark burgundy) and peplum are all in right now. You might look a little cuckoo if you had all of them in one outfit....but anyone at any age can carry an oxblood bag, wear an oxblood jacket or shoes. Peplum looks cute on just about everyone. And patterned jeans can work well for a range of shapes and sizes as long as you follow the pattern rules for your shape. Colored jeans too. Maybe highlighter yellow is hard to pull off after 30. But dark purple? Or red? Definitely do-able.

You can balance looking current without looking like a fashion victim. No need to abandon trends because you are solidly in adulthood.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,586,684 times
Quote:
Skinny pant abuse is rampant, for sure. However, worn properly skinny jeans are great for most people (and the op said she's only 15 lbs overweight and mostly in the tummy area, so she's not huge). The thing is that if you are not really thin below the waist, you must wear them with a longer top. And not just a top that happens to be long, but one that is both long and flattering. Ideally will come down to below the butt area. I've spent a lot of time searching for such tops and they aren't easy to find, but I've gotten a few. If you're skinny below the waist and it's just a stomach thing, then any top that camouflages the stomach will work - ruching, a structured jacket, a short bubble top, etc. It doesn't even have to cover the butt, so long as the butt is not a problem area. Unfortunately, there are way too many very large women walking around in tight sweaters and stretch skinny jeans and really looking awful. But it doesn't have to be that way. Nevertheless, I wish the fad would disappear. Bootcut was much more flattering on more figures.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
OP, stick to classic pieces/looks for your basics

An LBD in sheath dress silhoutte - can be easily layered, dressed up, dressed down, worn with heels/flats/boots/chic sandals

Calvin Klein black stretch blend embellished sheath dress | BLUEFLY up to 70% off designer brands

Skinny jeans or jeggings with tall riding boots - easy style, looks flattering even on heavier women, can easily layer with blazers, sweater coats, etc

Hickory Chicks Boutique: October 2011

5. Tuck Flat Boots Into Jeans Or Leggings. | Style Goes Strong

Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM

10,339 posts, read 7,594,643 times
Quote:
A heavy person should never wear skinny jeans.

Hardly anyone should wear skinny jeans who doesn't have the build of a slim 15-year -old girl or boy.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 AM

17,568 posts, read 21,741,355 times
I would get two pairs of jeans trouser cut, or boot cut that have a higher waist and are not hipster jeans that is what gives women muffin top. Black pants - jeans or twill trousers and black clothes in general are favored by grad students.

A well fitting longer black cardigan and one on one or two other colors would work well.

Places I would check out would be Banana Republic, GAP, Ann Taylor Loft are some good places.

Cold Water Creek has well fitting jeans for more mature and post baby figures.
They also have some tummy covering options. Some of their stuff can be matronly but not all is. Stay away from anything floral or pastel.

Something that may work for you paired with a longer sweater are the thicker, almost corduroy feeling leggings.

For footwear black low healed low boots are a good choice.

Congrats on your descision to return to school!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am over 30....and I still love trends!

You can still follow them, just not head to toe.

For example, patterned jeans, textured jeans, colored jeans, oxblood (dark burgundy) and peplum are all in right now. You might look a little cuckoo if you had all of them in one outfit....but anyone at any age can carry an oxblood bag, wear an oxblood jacket or shoes. Peplum looks cute on just about everyone. And patterned jeans can work well for a range of shapes and sizes as long as you follow the pattern rules for your shape. Colored jeans too. Maybe highlighter yellow is hard to pull off after 30. But dark purple? Or red? Definitely do-able.

You can balance looking current without looking like a fashion victim. No need to abandon trends because you are solidly in adulthood.
I probably didn't state myself well. When I said "trends" I meant "trendy," as in teenagery looking clothing - not fashions that are current but rather "ageless" like, for instance, colored jeans or patterned pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty