U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM

130 posts, read 155,768 times

Advertisements

I swear by Spanx! I always wore them after my babies (until I goy my weight off). They are fantastic and work miracles. 15 pounds is nothing...stay positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 PM

17,630 posts, read 21,820,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkbaby View Post
I swear by Spanx! I always wore them after my babies (until I goy my weight off). They are fantastic and work miracles. 15 pounds is nothing...stay positive!
I do too. SPANX ROCK!

The OP could dispense with the purchase of expensive jeans and wear the type of leggings I described, with three different sweaters and a variety of nice scarves.

The slimming effect of SPANX will help the OP to appear firmer and slimmer.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,310,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree that trying to go "trendy" after about age 30 looks a bit silly.
Whow, I'm turning 30 this year and have no intention of giving up trends. I'm also a SAHM and it actually gives me much more freedom in wearing more youthful casual clothes as I'm not limited to an office dress code. In the fall/winter I'm usually in jeggings or leggings with long sweaters or cardigans and flat boots, or sweater dresses with tights - LOVE sweater dresses. I'm pear-shaped and used to think I can't wear leggings and skinny jeans, until I've tried some on with a proper top and they're actually slimming! In the spring/summer it's jeans or fitted pants with ballet flats and cute feminine blouses, or casual dresses. I've also invested in a great sporty leather jacket and a wool toggle coat for winter, and love scarves and accessories. There are some things I won't wear anymore like miniskirts and short-shorts, but I still mainly shop at H&M and even Forever 21, just pick out the right pieces. When I go out with my 18 year old sister people tend to think we're the same age, and most are shocked when I tell them my real age so I must be doing something right, lol.

To the OP, please don't do shapeless jeans and sweats! If you're uncomfortable with skinnies/leggings, there's nothing wrong with a great-fitting pair of dark wash straight or slightly bootcut jeans, but be prepared to spend time and try on a LOT of pairs to find one that fits perfectly, and don't compromise on fit! Make sure they're not too tight or baggy and the rise is right - for some like me who are short-waisted, low-rise actually fits much better than the classic mid-rise. On top, a button-down or v-neck sweater or a tank, topped off with a cute cardigan or fitted jacket. Invest in some good outerwear - great trench coat or leather jacket and/or wool coat depending on weather. For warmer weather, crisp shirtdresses with a wide belt and sandals are always a great put-together look. Try to look for cute feminine details and bright colors, and accessorize! So many women dress in all super-plain pieces head-to-toe with no accessories and it just looks drab and bland and unflattering. A pair of dangly earrings or chunky bracelet can do a lot to add interest and draw attention away from problem areas. For running around with kiddos, athletic/yoga wear is fine but make sure it's good quality, fits properly - nothing baggy!, and go for some brighter colors - I recently got a pair of lime and raspberry-colored runners and get so many compliments on them Watch some episodes of "what not to wear" for some basic concepts. Feel free to PM me with any questions

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM

41,128 posts, read 32,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Whow, I'm turning 30 this year and have no intention of giving up trends. I'm also a SAHM and it actually gives me much more freedom in wearing more youthful casual clothes as I'm not limited to an office dress code. In the fall/winter I'm usually in jeggings or leggings with long sweaters or cardigans and flat boots, or sweater dresses with tights - LOVE sweater dresses. I'm pear-shaped and used to think I can't wear leggings and skinny jeans, until I've tried some on with a proper top and they're actually slimming! In the spring/summer it's jeans or fitted pants with ballet flats and cute feminine blouses, or casual dresses. I've also invested in a great sporty leather jacket and a wool toggle coat for winter, and love scarves and accessories. There are some things I won't wear anymore like miniskirts and short-shorts, but I still mainly shop at H&M and even Forever 21, just pick out the right pieces. When I go out with my 18 year old sister people tend to think we're the same age, and most are shocked when I tell them my real age so I must be doing something right, lol.

To the OP, please don't do shapeless jeans and sweats! If you're uncomfortable with skinnies/leggings, there's nothing wrong with a great-fitting pair of dark wash straight or slightly bootcut jeans, but be prepared to spend time and try on a LOT of pairs to find one that fits perfectly, and don't compromise on fit! Make sure they're not too tight or baggy and the rise is right - for some like me who are short-waisted, low-rise actually fits much better than the classic mid-rise. On top, a button-down or v-neck sweater or a tank, topped off with a cute cardigan or fitted jacket. Invest in some good outerwear - great trench coat or leather jacket and/or wool coat depending on weather. For warmer weather, crisp shirtdresses with a wide belt and sandals are always a great put-together look. Try to look for cute feminine details and bright colors, and accessorize! So many women dress in all super-plain pieces head-to-toe with no accessories and it just looks drab and bland and unflattering. A pair of dangly earrings or chunky bracelet can do a lot to add interest and draw attention away from problem areas. For running around with kiddos, athletic/yoga wear is fine but make sure it's good quality, fits properly - nothing baggy!, and go for some brighter colors - I recently got a pair of lime and raspberry-colored runners and get so many compliments on them Watch some episodes of "what not to wear" for some basic concepts. Feel free to PM me with any questions
I see where we have a communication breakdown. Everything I bolded, I consider more classic than trendy. Most of those styles have been around since as long as I've been getting dressed as an adult. I don't, for instance, consider leggings or sweater dresses to be "trendy." Fitted jeans or pants with ballet slippers and feminine blouses? My gosh, that look has NEVER really been out of style in my opinion. If it was, I certainly never noticed it - or gave a rat's rear.

By "trendy" I mean, dressing like a teenager. Thirty plus year old women who try to dress like teenagers while at work look silly in my opinion.

I clarified this a few posts back, by the way.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I see where we have a communication breakdown. Everything I bolded, I consider more classic than trendy. Most of those styles have been around since as long as I've been getting dressed as an adult. I don't, for instance, consider leggings or sweater dresses to be "trendy." Fitted jeans or pants with ballet slippers and feminine blouses? My gosh, that look has NEVER really been out of style in my opinion. If it was, I certainly never noticed it - or gave a rat's rear.

By "trendy" I mean, dressing like a teenager. Thirty plus year old women who try to dress like teenagers while at work look silly in my opinion.

I clarified this a few posts back, by the way.
Well that's also what I see the majority of teenagers and college students wearing these days Also the big chunky infinity scarves, LOVE.
And the skinny jean/legging with oversized tops thing IS a trend of the last few years - in the early 2000s everyone wore bootcuts or flares with the pointy-heel stilettos and tight fitted tops, the silhouette trends changed. I'm actually not sure what else you would consider the 'trendy' look for teens these days...

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Well that's also what I see the majority of teenagers and college students wearing these days Also the big chunky infinity scarves, LOVE.
And the skinny jean/legging with oversized tops thing IS a trend of the last few years - in the early 2000s everyone wore bootcuts or flares with the pointy-heel stilettos and tight fitted tops, the silhouette trends changed. I'm actually not sure what else you would consider the 'trendy' look for teens these days...
LOL I guess you can call it a trend, but it's definitely a recycled one!

Next stop - shoulder pads. They'll be back. My gosh, if leg warmers came back into style, anything's possible.

Scarves of every sort of length - been wearing those for years and years and years. Now, I admit, I haven't worn scarves that drag the floor, but every other length under the sun has been acceptable as far as I can tell for decades.

I guess "trendy" looks for me would be stuff like (from different times) the "emo" look, "steampunk," "flashdance" - that sort of thing. Feathers in your hair, multicolored neon nails, those 1970s "add a bead" necklaces, mood rings, that sort of thing.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM

27,698 posts, read 17,732,636 times
Drapey style tops in a jersey type material, dresses that are not form fitting. I have a bunch of cute Calvin Klein long dresses that don't emphasize the waist, and a cute short dress with a drape from the bodice down - hides everything. Jersey dresses in an a-line.

What area do you live? I'm in tropical weather so there may be differences.

Right now I'm in SF for another 3 weeks, so I'm doing leggings in boots with long tops (fitted in the boobs looser around the middle), or I use my short dresses over the leggings (as long as they cover the booty).

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
LOL I guess you can call it a trend, but it's definitely a recycled one!

Next stop - shoulder pads. They'll be back. My gosh, if leg warmers came back into style, anything's possible.

Scarves of every sort of length - been wearing those for years and years and years. Now, I admit, I haven't worn scarves that drag the floor, but every other length under the sun has been acceptable as far as I can tell for decades.

I guess "trendy" looks for me would be stuff like (from different times) the "emo" look, "steampunk," "flashdance" - that sort of thing. Feathers in your hair, multicolored neon nails, those 1970s "add a bead" necklaces, mood rings, that sort of thing.
Oh yea, I'm aware it's recycled, but really most fashion is...there's nothing really 'new' anymore.
When I think of classics, it's the little black dress, pencil skirt, classic tailored shirt, trench coat, the universal things that never go out of style. Everything else is a trend in one form or another.
What you mention I would consider subculture fashion as opposed to trend...I think emos would cry if you were to tell them they're trendy, lol. Though I guess a lot of today's styles stem from the hipster look - the ubiquitous skinnies-boots-leather jacket-big scarf look, but the thing about it is it's fairly easy to wear for anyone under 40 or so without looking silly - provided you don't go overboard of course. I feel like it suits my lifestyle now because it's current and youthful yet comfy enough and not silly or inappropriate for a young mom, imo.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Oh yea, I'm aware it's recycled, but really most fashion is...there's nothing really 'new' anymore.
When I think of classics, it's the little black dress, pencil skirt, classic tailored shirt, trench coat, the universal things that never go out of style. Everything else is a trend in one form or another.
What you mention I would consider subculture fashion as opposed to trend...I think emos would cry if you were to tell them they're trendy, lol. Though I guess a lot of today's styles stem from the hipster look - the ubiquitous skinnies-boots-leather jacket-big scarf look, but the thing about it is it's fairly easy to wear for anyone under 40 or so without looking silly - provided you don't go overboard of course.
Oh my - I wore leggings, a velvet jacket, a tunic top, and a scarf, with boots, just the other day. I'm fifty!

I looked pretty snappy in that get up too!

I had to laugh at your emo comment though. So true.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,446,474 times
Just want to say that if you are walking around you want to buy stuff that will make that easy. Walking around in tight pants and skirts and sandals is not exactly what I would advise to do. Especially if you are carrying a lot of books,taking stairs and dealing with weather.

They are fine suggestions for casual days but not for school. Being that it is a campus you want to be wearing things that make self defense easy. So skip the cutesy dresses and shoes you can't run in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty