U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM

26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times

Advertisements

Got my "trendy" outfit on today. Leopard print knit tunic. Black leggings. Camel ankle boots.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,308,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They are fine suggestions for casual days but not for school. Being that it is a campus you want to be wearing things that make self defense easy. So skip the cutesy dresses and shoes you can't run in.
Lol, of all the things that dictated my fashion choices while I was a student, the ability to run and defend myself has never crossed my mind. Did I miss something or does campus = ghetto today?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,441,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Lol, of all the things that dictated my fashion choices while I was a student, the ability to run and defend myself has never crossed my mind. Did I miss something or does campus = ghetto today?
Its no secret to anyone that crimes happen on campus like that all the time. Its not really funny.

A campus is a prime hunting ground for muggings etc. The fact that it never crossed your mind is what makes you an easy target. Good thing you were lucky! But really...one should be aware.

I am in a city with multiple campus areas and these things are unfortunately common.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,309,645 times
Depending on the time of year why not get a few sweaters that you can wear with the jeans? If you get some black jeans or pants it can still be comfortable but look more pulled together. Even in the summer having a zip sweater cause the room can get chilly. Places like Old Navy often have a afforable outfit with displays that have good combos for outfits.
I am no fashion expert but I thought I saw a show where women often put on a large sweatshirt to cover up the problem areas but in reality actually made them look larger then they are.
On a side note I am sorry you feel uncomfortable with your body but you have 2 small kids, are a single mom,and going to school. I hope you give yourself credit for that.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM

69 posts, read 168,197 times
Thanks a lot for all the great inputs...

Now it has been around a month and I am getting comfortable
As per the suggestions; I did the following
1. From the link; I found that my body is apple-shaped
2. Two week back brought a trench coat from JCP on sale Worthington® Tailored Wool-Blend Coat - jcpenney.
3. Brought one shirt like this http://media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net...0&op_sharpen=1 and a tunic top that almost looks the same but Large size daisy fuentes Solid Pleated Tunic - Petite
4. Brought good running shoes and boots Croft and Barrow sole (sense)ability Tall Boots - Women
5. Couple of earrings and scarves.

Since it is very cold here; the coats are doing half the work for me
In April I have made budget to buy a pair of jean ; capri and spanx to hide the muffin tops . Today brought loads of dresses for both the kids on sale, need at least a month to recover from it

Thanks a lot for reading and finding time to answer...
LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty