Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM

69 posts, read 206,960 times

Advertisements

Hello;
My first post in this forum

I am a 30 year old; SAHM mother of two kids;4 and 1 year. I over-weight by 15 lb post-delivery; trying to burn it off but I do think it will take atleast a year to get back in shape.

I wear mostly sweatshirts and jeans. I am very conscious because of the weight and fat around the belly (muffin tops); and it has started to affect my confidence as well. I am now feeling ashamed to go for "get-together" or reunions.

I have enrolled for a course in the community college. I am dreading it as the date nears. Kindly suggest what to wear. I am not looking for dates or any relationship; so I do not need anything that catch the other's eye romantically you know being sexy and all.

I want something decent; economical and chic as I want to pass off without looking shabby.

Thanks
LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
15 lbs is not a lot overweight. Get a pair of jeans that fits right and the muffin top won't be an issue.

My friend who is 30 and a college student wears her school sweatshirts and jeans most of the time. When it's too warm for sweatshirts, I see her in a variety of tops, blouses that button up the front, or polo shirts.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM

69 posts, read 206,960 times
Thanks Hedgehog_mom for your comments.

B/w; I wouldn't mind 15 lb over-weight if it was evenly distributed around. For me 5 lb in bust area; 5 in thighs and the last 5 in belly. Not a "great" distribution; you see.
Since; I am in NJ I feel lucky because of the winter jacket 4-5 months easily pass off. I dread summer; quite honestly.

LA

Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
I wouldn't go for sweatshirts and jeans. It may be the college wardrobe but it isn't age appropriate or flattering on any body.

I'd look into how to dress for your particular body shape. I'm a fan of Trinny and Susannah's body classifications and tips. They're about dressing to flatter the body you have, not hiding until you get the body you want.

Try this body type quiz and check out their suggestions.

Body Shape Calculator

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I wouldn't go for sweatshirts and jeans. It may be the college wardrobe but it isn't age appropriate or flattering on any body.

I'd look into how to dress for your particular body shape. I'm a fan of Trinny and Susannah's body classifications and tips. They're about dressing to flatter the body you have, not hiding until you get the body you want.

Try this body type quiz and check out their suggestions.

Body Shape Calculator
100% agreed. Once we have an idea of your actual body shape, it is easier to make recommendations!

Recommendations for a pear are different than let's say an apple.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Well comfort wise I would trade the sweatshirts in for sweaters. Just as comfy but can still look nice.

If you feel too soft around the middle wear a shaping cami underneath. It will smooth out bra lines too. Then maybe try to get a little active/improve your diet and see what happens to that little bit of weight. I think comfortable flattering smoother cami's (like spanx) can be great motivators to get rid of the extra you don't like too.

If you like jeans find ones that fit you right and pair your sweaters with jeans that are dark rinses. Corduroy is also a nice way to wear pants with a jeans feel.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalalien View Post
Hello;
My first post in this forum

I am a 30 year old; SAHM mother of two kids;4 and 1 year. I over-weight by 15 lb post-delivery; trying to burn it off but I do think it will take atleast a year to get back in shape.

I wear mostly sweatshirts and jeans. I am very conscious because of the weight and fat around the belly (muffin tops); and it has started to affect my confidence as well. I am now feeling ashamed to go for "get-together" or reunions.

I have enrolled for a course in the community college. I am dreading it as the date nears. Kindly suggest what to wear. I am not looking for dates or any relationship; so I do not need anything that catch the other's eye romantically you know being sexy and all.

I want something decent; economical and chic as I want to pass off without looking shabby.

Thanks
LA
As a student you don't need to dress up, so you can wear just about anything. I teach in a community college, and I would suggest the following: skinny jeans, legging or similar pants with tunic tops or long sweaters. I also have a problem with the stomach area, and this is the best way to hide it for me and still be comfortable. Just make sure the skinny jeans aren't the low-rise kind that create a huge muffin top - get mid or high rise, or stretch leggings. My most comfortable outfit right now is a pair of cotton or velvet black leggings with a long sweater and a pair of boots. If you live someplace warm, then you can still wear the same, but with short sleeved shirts or tanks that are loose around the middle - like bubble tops, for example, or just long tunic tops. Ruching around the stomach can also hide it. Instead of boots you can wear comfortable flats or sandals.

For dressing up, there are a couple of brands of clothing that make dresses that really hide the midsection. One is Garnet Hill - All the dresses I have from there are draped in such a way as to completely hide the stomach while still hugging the waist on the sides. They tend to be the kinds of dresses where there is a knot or some pleating just below the bust and the fabric drapes out and down from there (i.e. empire waist). Also Bodenusa.com makes similar dresses. I have a lot of dresses from there and none of them show my stomach.

Finally, invest in good shapewear. It can make a huge difference. For jeans, look for a high waisted short with a control tummy. For dressed, look for the all in one slip with built in bra (or if you are really busty and need to wear your own, look for something that goes over a bra, like the Spanx brand).

Some more ideas - for playdates and playgrounds, activewear is really useful and hides a lot. I like Lucy brand yoga pants because they have a control panel on the stomach. Add a structured workout jacket and it really slims. Or even a loose yoga top (again Lucy has good ones) to cover that area.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Legalalien, no matter what the age, students pretty much dress the same, whether cc or full fledged university. Some students may appear to be shabby, but, that's mainly due to being dirty and generally unkempt. Nothing wrong with dressing to conceal whatever part you wish to conceal. It's your business, no one elses. Enjoy your class and don't spend another moment worried about what to wear.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
I've found shift/sheath style dresses are flattering. Don't wear loose clothing, it'll just make you look heavier. Use belts on your waist when you can. Skinny style pants shave off lbs. Wear vertical stripes. To draw the eye up, wear an interesting neckline or jewelry. Heels help. If you can afford to tailor clothes, do it-a well fitting garment always flatters.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Skinny style pants shave off lbs.
I have never seen that to be the case.
Heavy people still look heavy - and ofter much heavier - in skinny jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty