U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 12 37.50%
No 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times

Advertisements

I have many things that I would prefer to spend my money than designer clothing. But I do think most famous designers are famous for a reason. Those goods very often are better made, out of better materials, with more unique designs than cheaper things, which tend to be knock offs of something that appeared first as a top-name designer item.

When I need an item that I will use constantly, like everyday shoes, a business suit, a black handbag, eyeglasses, carry-on luggage, I am willing to pay more for better quality. But I won't pay extra just to impress someone else with a label.

Some designer items, like a Chanel suit, an Hermes handbag, a Louis Vuitton suitcase, are something you can have for the rest of your life if you take care of it. Ray Ban sunglasses ARE better quality than a $10 pair from the drugstore. They will protect your eyes better and the styling is more classic. People have been wearing Wayfarers for decades and they never look dated. So those things are cost-effective over the long run. But why bother if you tire of styles easily or you don't take care of things. Wayfarers aren't worth $150 if you lose your sunglasses twice a year.

You can, indeed, get a knock off of a designer item, usually made in Korea which has a giant business manufacturing things like fake Prada bags. To the superficial viewer it may look authentic. But show it to someone in retail, let them see inside, and they will immediately recognize it as a fake. Someone gave me a fake Rolex watch from the Korean market and, yes, it IS designed exactly like a real one. But the bottom line is, it's gold-colored, not gold. I can totally tell the difference a mile away, so I would never wear it because that seems pretentious. On the other hand, I do not hesitate to wear my fake diamond earrings. They are a believable size, they are set in real gold, and I defy anyone to tell that they aren't authentic. I wouldn't lie if someone asked me, but I don't expect they would. Instead of $1,000, I paid $65 and I'm still wearing them 20 years later.

Rubi3 has the best idea. Buy designer but get it at a thrift store. She's recycling and it's already depreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
I buy what I like (based on design & quality) and what I think flatters me, regardless of cost (although I do have my limits.) I do tend to shop at sites such as Net-a-Porter, ShopBop, Bergdorf, Neiman Marcus, Barneys, etc., but I also own my fair share of items from Target and Victoria's Secret.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
If I had a bigger budget, I'd definitely grab a few items from Jason Wu, Doro Olowu, Nanette Lapore, a coat from MaxMara or Jill Sander.

But I buy stuff that fits well, regardless of brand in my budget. I get stuff from Target, H&M, old navy, Macy's Nordstrom, Gap, ASOS, Forever 21. Whatever has what I like at the right price. And I love the cheap capsule collections.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,540,526 times
Not a label diva but every once in a while I'll pick up something designer.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM

17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If I had a bigger budget, I'd definitely grab a few items from Jason Wu, Doro Olowu, Nanette Lapore, a coat from MaxMara or Jill Sander.

But I buy stuff that fits well, regardless of brand in my budget. I get stuff from Target, H&M, old navy, Macy's Nordstrom, Gap, ASOS, Forever 21. Whatever has what I like at the right price. And I love the cheap capsule collections.
My shopping twin (but Stella Jean instead of Doro Olowu for me)

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM

6,056 posts, read 7,954,291 times
I don't have enough money to drop 1K on one piece of clothing. If I was wealthy I would buy designer clothes, but at this point in my life it isn't practical. Maybe one day!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
My shopping twin (but Stella Jean instead of Doro Olowu for me)
Ooooh! Stella Jean looks cute too.

Fun patterns. Some of the shapes are good for models and not for real life! But it is super fun!

I'd add Kate Spade clothing to my "aspiration" list...but it is in budget for me on sale. Stella Jean reminds me of an edgier Kate Spade. Re-imagined preppy stuff.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
I like classic clothes made of high quality fabric, regardless of designer. I can't stand wearing clothes that feel bad or don't fit/lay well or don't age well (i.e. cheaply made clothes). I would buy 1 expensive soft cashmere sweater, instead of 5 cheaper itchy wool sweaters. I'd buy 1 luxurious silk blouse, over 5 scratchy polyester blouses. High quality supple calf leather boots over cheap, stiff boots, etc.

I have spent money on classic designer clothes (e.g. coats/shoes) of high quality. I also buy some less expensive, but still higher quality clothes. I also purchase designer clothes from consignment shops at low prices. I really don't care about a particular label though.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I like classic clothes made of high quality fabric, regardless of designer. I can't stand wearing clothes that feel bad or don't fit/lay well or don't age well (i.e. cheaply made clothes). I would buy 1 expensive soft cashmere sweater, instead of 5 cheaper itchy wool sweaters. I'd buy 1 luxurious silk blouse, over 5 scratchy polyester blouses. High quality supple calf leather boots over cheap, stiff boots, etc.

I have spent money on classic designer clothes (e.g. coats/shoes) of high quality. I also buy some less expensive, but still higher quality clothes. I also purchase designer clothes from consignment shops at low prices. I really don't care about a particular label though.
Sounds like you are sensitive to the feel of things too, like me. I am more likely to buy an off brand whatever over something more pricey if the off brand feels better on me. My mother and some of my friends think I am ridiculous beyond belief but I don't wear polyester, ever, ditto nylon and acetate. I will get rid of something immediately if the thread is scratchy even if the entire garment is ok otherwise.

I'd rather hunt thrift stores for inexpensive, yet good quality stuff over Walmart clothes any day because I have just found that Walmart stuff does *not* last at all (for the most part, there are exceptions I am sure). Figured this out when my kids were little; little boys are the truest test for durability!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,078,780 times
This is actually more like an addiction for me. Being an asian, tend to go for high end merchandise. If there are two exactly sweaters one is from Commes de Garcons, the other one is from JC Penney, I will choose the CDG one.
I find my behaviors / decisions to be foolish, but I...just...can't...help...it.
That's why I define it as addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty