U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,715,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Sorry, I had no idea of the age so I was just guessing

And yes I think it just has to do with how we might view fashionable. You seem to be viewing it more from the artistic side (which I'm not saying is wrong at all just saying we approached it differently) and I'm just saying that I personally enjoy the way Zooey dresses more. It may not be runway-worthy or something but she always looks cute/good while hardly seeming like she's trying too hard to be fashionable or edgy which is perfect to me.
Yeah, I'm really only interested in the artistic side of fashion. I think that clothing should be fun and interesting. But, that's just me.

I also look at it as - celebs have access to lads of free clothing, shoes and accessories all the time, so why would you not want to have fun with it?

And your way of looking t it is totally fine. It's just two very different aesthetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,690,437 times
makes sense

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

14,509 posts, read 11,489,335 times
real glamour was Grace Kelly in the blue chiffon dress in To Catch a Thief. not many compare.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Maybe I'm not paying attention to the younger crowd, but I don't really see anybody dressing like Zooey Deschanel. Or maybe it's because I tend to notice what I do like and not what I don't like?
You must be going to the wrong places. :P Every female coffee shop worker dresses like Zoey around here. Ok maybe only 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Zooey? Hardly.

Most fashionable female celebs, off the top of my head are: SJP, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Marion Cotilliard, and Zoe Saldana to name a few.

I think that in order to be considered fashionable, one has to take risks and have fun and be creative with fashion. Zooey looks the same. All the time. Boring!
I do agree with you. I don't think Zoey is uber stylish, but I would say that she dresses well. Dressing well =/= fashionable. (Although you can dress well and be fashionable.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Didn't you just describe hipster?

Society: Hipster Subculture Ripe for Parody - TIME

"The word would fade for years until it was reborn in the early '90s, used again to describe a generation of middle-class youths interested in an alternative art and music scene. But instead of creating a culture of their own, hipsters proved content to borrow from trends long past."
Read more: Society: Hipster Subculture Ripe for Parody - TIME
My dad says hipsters are hippies with no cause.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM

4,912 posts, read 6,578,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

My dad says hipsters are hippies with no cause.
Veganism, obscure cultural references, indie music, and raising awareness about Kony 2012 | Invisible Children

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,443,013 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm not paying attention to the younger crowd, but I don't really see anybody dressing like Zooey Deschanel. Or maybe it's because I tend to notice what I do like and not what I don't like?
Think Mad Men but more youthful. Kitschy patterns, full skirts, fitted but demure bodices and maybe some mildly cat-eyed large dark sunglasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Didn't you just describe hipster?

Society: Hipster Subculture Ripe for Parody - TIME

"The word would fade for years until it was reborn in the early '90s, used again to describe a generation of middle-class youths interested in an alternative art and music scene. But instead of creating a culture of their own, hipsters proved content to borrow from trends long past."
Read more: Society: Hipster Subculture Ripe for Parody - TIME
Not at all. Like I said, there is some crossover, but there's also hipster and rockabilly crossover yet they're still distinct groups as far as style goes. Hipsters are generally better outfitted for a TKO dance party. Spandex leggings under jean cut offs with a v-neck shirt, unbuttoned plaid top, and scarf loosely wrapped around their necks. The bottom half of their bodies are usually skin tight or largely exposed while the top is loose and rarely cleavage baring.

Obviously that's a very general description and its possible in the couple years I've been away from my dear hipster friends that the style has evolved some, but as Zooey has had pretty consistent style in at least the past half decade, I must assert that her style is very much distinct from hipster (which, lets face it, has become a silly catch-all term for anything deemed an alternative trend amongst 16-28 year olds).

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You must be going to the wrong places. :P Every female coffee shop worker dresses like Zoey around here. Ok maybe only 75%
Well, I don't frequent coffee shops , but in general, nobody dresses like that where I live. Heck, I don't think I've even seen any females dressed like that in NYC, although I would imagine that's more of a downtown (Village, SoHo) look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Think Mad Men but more youthful. Kitschy patterns, full skirts, fitted but demure bodices and maybe some mildly cat-eyed large dark sunglasses.
I know the look/style, but I just don't see people actually dressing like that where I live. Like I said, they may very well be wearing outfits & accessories along those lines and I just never took note because I wasn't drawn to it. Hell, it might be the fact that I'm old and a mom and most moms I know don't dress like that because it's not practical. LOL I actually really like the styles from Mad Men because they're more polished (from what little I have seen).

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,690,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
hipster (which, lets face it, has become a silly catch-all term for anything deemed an alternative trend amongst 16-28 year olds).
Exactly.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,715,896 times
Quote:
Well, I don't frequent coffee shops , but in general, nobody dresses like that where I live. Heck, I don't think I've even seen any females dressed like that in NYC, although I would imagine that's more of a downtown (Village, SoHo) look.

I know the look/style, but I just don't see people actually dressing like that where I live. Like I said, they may very well be wearing outfits & accessories along those lines and I just never took note because I wasn't drawn to it. Hell, it might be the fact that I'm old and a mom and most moms I know don't dress like that because it's not practical. LOL I actually really like the styles from Mad Men because they're more polished (from what little I have seen).
NYC hipsters dress very differently from California hipsters. Midwest (Chicago) hipsters dress somewhere in between the two.

Zooey is California hipster.

Also: Can we put a moratorium on the word "hipster"? It has become meaningless.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,117,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I wouldn't even say she's hot. She's just really really cute lol. It's hard to explain
Girl next door. Someone you could see yourself with that's pretty and famous unlike a Super model for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or