U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,719,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The first 3 aren't actual causes though. They are opinions. :P

The Kony thing? That is sort of a cause. But everyone is over it. After that initial buzz, it all died out. The hipsters were on to the next thing. Locavorism or something. Artisan beer. 3rd wave coffee roasting. Butchery. Jam making.

Ok well that's what we have here in the Bay at least.
Don't forget bee keeping and urban chicken farming!

Nothing like a rooftop rooster crowing to start the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM

2,979 posts, read 4,708,008 times
Both Portland and SF are very diverse there imo. I am hardly ever in NYC for work though so I can't really comment there.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM

26,905 posts, read 28,233,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Both Portland and SF are very diverse there imo. I am hardly ever in NYC for work though so I can't really comment there.
Diverse in general, yes. But the hipster scene is pretty much white and maybe *east* asian. So seeing blacks or latinos in hipster places is pretty "weird."

In SF....whites and asians tend to mix socially. Southeast asians, blacks (as in african immigrants or african-americans), latinos not so much. South asians are hit or miss. Not enough middle easterners to have a discernible pattern. South asians, persians, afghans, arabs all tend to keep to themselves.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 PM

2,979 posts, read 4,708,008 times
Gotcha. I really didn't know that you were referring to race at all. I figured you were referring to style / fashion or the way people dress etc.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,449,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Not at all. Like I said, there is some crossover, but there's also hipster and rockabilly crossover yet they're still distinct groups as far as style goes. Hipsters are generally better outfitted for a TKO dance party. Spandex leggings under jean cut offs with a v-neck shirt, unbuttoned plaid top, and scarf loosely wrapped around their necks. The bottom half of their bodies are usually skin tight or largely exposed while the top is loose and rarely cleavage baring.

Obviously that's a very general description and its possible in the couple years I've been away from my dear hipster friends that the style has evolved some, but as Zooey has had pretty consistent style in at least the past half decade, I must assert that her style is very much distinct from hipster (which, lets face it, has become a silly catch-all term for anything deemed an alternative trend amongst 16-28 year olds).

I think you just are too in love to see it for what it is. LOL

There are various hipster fashions just like there are various forms of goth dress.
They don't all dress vintage style hipster or dance party hipster.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,454,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
With Zooey or the H-word? Because I'm quite fond of both.

Quote:
There are various hipster fashions just like there are various forms of goth dress.
Sure, but if we're just going to call all young people different forms of hipsters, what does the word even mean?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,990,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

At my old age...you're just a hipster or goth. I'm not able to sub-categorize them. They all have similar fashions and resemble each other enough for me to group them all together.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,449,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
With Zooey or the H-word? Because I'm quite fond of both.

Sure, but if we're just going to call all young people different forms of hipsters, what does the word even mean?
BOTH! I will say that she does look presentable and all but I am just personally SO BORED of that look.

I don't call fashion by age but maybe a combo of age and style. You sill have your preps, your goths, punks, hip hop, etc. There are old hipsters. Bob Dylan..oldest living hipster. Look at that hair! Hipster.

To me hipster is the eclectic thing based on personal choice.

There is mall hipster, DIY hipster, vintage hipster, ironic hipster, dork hipster, urban hipster etc

so many! LOL

Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM

4,187 posts, read 4,221,594 times
Forced quirkiness or uniqueness irritates me, and New Girls is pretty terrible.

That being said she is kind of cute.

Her sister though, now that's a beautiful women, IMO. Also Bones is at least watchable.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,127,846 times
She played a great charcter in Weeds a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or