Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

I didnt know who she was until I saw the photos and thought it was Katy Perry.... cute girl but hardly a glamour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
I wouldn't even say she's hot. She's just really really cute lol. It's hard to explain

Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
My wife and I both love her and have for years (fans of her music too).

She is extremely cute with classic beauty and a smooth, classic singing voice. I love the way she dresses: fashionable with a retro-chic vibe while still staying fun and grounded. She may not be "fashionable" in terms of high-fashion or those trying to stay up with the latest high-fashion trends or something, but she dresses perfectly for her personality and I love her outfits. She has always seemed so down to earth and easy to get along with, not only in the characters she chooses to play but also interviews and her musical performances etc. Great eyes, she rocks the bangs, not a lot to not like imo.

She turns 33 tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Her style isn't unique. She dresses "hipster" just like majority of people under twenty in the North East.
Except she's 33 and has dressed with a similar style for over 13+ years of seeing her act and perform, before most of those kids were even in school probably. In fact imo she was one of the copy-models for most of the hipster girls up that way so you can't knock her for people trying to dress like her.

Last edited by Sunbather; 01-16-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Her style isn't unique. She dresses "hipster" just like majority of people under twenty in the North East.
Hmmm, that isn't really hipster. She's more like 1960s throwback mix of housewife and schoolgirl, a look which has been enormously popular the last few years. There's definitely some overlap, but that's just because part of the hipster style is an appreciation of secondhand and vintage items.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Maybe I'm not paying attention to the younger crowd, but I don't really see anybody dressing like Zooey Deschanel. Or maybe it's because I tend to notice what I do like and not what I don't like?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Zooey? Hardly.

Most fashionable female celebs, off the top of my head are: SJP, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Marion Cotilliard, and Zoe Saldana to name a few.

I think that in order to be considered fashionable, one has to take risks and have fun and be creative with fashion. Zooey looks the same. All the time. Boring!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Hmmm, that isn't really hipster. She's more like 1960s throwback mix of housewife and schoolgirl, a look which has been enormously popular the last few years. There's definitely some overlap, but that's just because part of the hipster style is an appreciation of secondhand and vintage items.

Didn't you just describe hipster?

Society: Hipster Subculture Ripe for Parody - TIME

"The word would fade for years until it was reborn in the early '90s, used again to describe a generation of middle-class youths interested in an alternative art and music scene. But instead of creating a culture of their own, hipsters proved content to borrow from trends long past."
Read more: Society: Hipster Subculture Ripe for Parody - TIME

Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM

^^Cate Blanchett and Marion Cotilliard are the only ones off that list I could see as fashionable. I definitely don't think SJP or Tilda Swinton are fashionable. Perhaps a difference of generations though (I'm 28), but I prefer Zooey's style to any of them. (I am also a male though so it may also make a difference vs the way a female views it).

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
^^Cate Blanchett and Marion Cotilliard are the only ones off that list I could see as fashionable. I definitely don't think SJP or Tilda Swinton are fashionable. Perhaps a difference of generations though (I'm 28), but I prefer Zooey's style to any of them. (I am also a male though so it may also make a difference vs the way a female views it).
I'm 29, it's not that big of a jump.

Tilda plays with androgynous fashion, and does it remarkably well (in my opinion, of course). SJP is a clothes horse and has a lot of fun with clothing. Sure, her hair and make-up could use some updating, but she's certainly never boring.

I would never look at either of them and think, "how dated". I look at Zooey and think, "Will you PLEASE try something else for once?"

Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM

Sorry, I had no idea of the age so I was just guessing

And yes I think it just has to do with how we might view fashionable. You seem to be viewing it more from the artistic side (which I'm not saying is wrong at all just saying we approached it differently) and I'm just saying that I personally enjoy the way Zooey dresses more. It may not be runway-worthy or something but to me she always looks cute/good while hardly seeming like she's trying too hard to be fashionable or edgy which is perfect to me. She knows what works for her and has kept those similar themes the whole time I've followed her career while still keeping it fresh imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty