Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade?
00s/10s 6 5.08%
90s 4 3.39%
80s 7 5.93%
70s 10 8.47%
60s 10 8.47%
50s 30 25.42%
40s 28 23.73%
30s 5 4.24%
20s 9 7.63%
10s 4 3.39%
00s or before 5 4.24%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times

Advertisements

Somewhat off topic, but there's no suit or tuxedo in the world that can match a girl in an ballroom dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Oh those flapper gals of morally questionable character... You beat me to it. Reps for you
Love the look! (except for the smoking)

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The late Victorian through the early Edwardian period ... from the 1870's through about 1910.

Women wore the most gorgeous long dresses ... trimmed with lace and ribbons, bows, tassels, feathers. In the Victorian times women's dresses often had bustles and long trains edged with pleated ruffles and embroidered with velvet piping and hand sewn beadwork. Nothing today compares.

The Edwardian period women wore slender long frocks and dress suits, often with "leg-o-mutton" sleeves. They wore enormous hats with silk flowers and feathers ... this was the era of the "Titanic" and "My Fair Lady."
I was going to say that this period had the most beautiful clothes but you beat me to it. The dresses are elegant and their whole image was balanced with the hats and elegant hair.

Of course they are shaped by the corset, and while they are popular, I don't think we'll see those come back as a main fashion accessory, except for renfair fans and SCA members.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
1980s were the last decade with a distinct style. Butched up styles of the middle aged lesbians (baggy T-shirts, short haircuts, plus sized jeans/shorts and sneakers...) define straight women of 1990s, 2000s and now.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 AM

10 posts, read 17,428 times
I love the Victorian style, so beautiful and elegant. This is why I am part of a fashion called Lolita (has nothing to do with the book), it's a Japanese street fashion and is inspired by Victorian styled clothing.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
I am not sure which is the best, many have their virtues. The late 50s - early 60s was the Mad Men era. I thing the clothes were simple, stylish and chic.

I dislike the wide skirts and dresses of the earlier 5os - very over powering.- like the dress is wearing you.

I DO think that there is a decade that is the absolute worst - the 1980s! Horrible hair, make up, jewelry.Trashy looking clothes.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,258 times
I'm not sure which was the best, but the 70s was the worst.

Honestly modern urban women's fashion is pretty good in SF from what I can tell. Coats, trousers, hats, gloves and high boots are awesome. What I don't like are summer outfits like miniskirts and daisy dukes.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM

231 posts, read 390,663 times
Late 40's through 1950's.

Even into the late 60's.

When I was a little kid, my Mother still wore hats everyday, and gloves. She wore gloves to the grocery store!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
I'm going with 30's through about 60s (based off of variety of hollywood movies encompassing many socio economic strata). Certain styles (whoever did the fashion for the 1959 movie Best of Everything) capture and enhance the female form exceptionally well. Though having an exceptional form makes it a lot easier . The movie, if I recall, had Suzy Parker, Hope Lange, and lots of other natural beauties which makes it easier. The syles of 40's film noir actresses, and glamour of say, Ava Gardner / Grace Kelly come easily to mind.

Each era though, evolves slightly based on what part of female form the perceived locus of beauty resides. While Victorian / Edwardian style looks nice to me, the average women back then probably hardly ever wore much variety, except for those well off. Also things like corsets and style which placed the emphasis on enunciating the small waist and generally cloaking the width of hips and legs altogether certainly added an air of mystery. (Images of 'can- can' come to mind, or oh, we glimpsed an ankle LOL). I do like hats, gloves (Rita Hayworth as Gilda - meow) and stylized leggings/ stockings / garters - ah!

Its funny to contrast some eras. I notice most 1930's glamour styles are very natural in form. The female breast was allowed to delicately assume its natural sloping curves without as much cinching / propping, and the lower torso tended to be wrapped snuggly. Especially like the 'baby maker wrap' look that seemed prevalent then - on the right form of course.

A style element that I think never goes away (due to anthropological bio physio hardwiring 'urge to merge') is a nicely wrapped upper waist to hips on a fit woman that has that fine taper, hugging a delightful curve from the small of back to apex of buttocks - one of the most pleasingly aesthetic visual sights in the world (at least for a man ). Think Gnger Rogers in a few of those movies with Fred Astaire. It's like an electromagnet drawing men in.

A style element I dislike is those victorian era high (empire -waist?) waist things that remind one of what a woman wears to cover up an excess of her mid section i.e maternity clothes or say a moo moo (sp?).

Two last points: how a female carries herself, bearing, carriage etc... will make up for a lot of bad clothing styles. Because no matter how it is 'cloaked' - the fluid kinesthetic moves of a well comported woman will most often shine right through, while - you know that old phrase about a pig in lipstick? And it is same for attitude too. You can find a fashionable styled woman very attractive and then sometimes when she opens her mouth - well, I think you get the idea.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times
I'd actually say 00s/10s except for one thing ... seems like most women are covered in tattoos! I love scene girls and the fashions women wear today but the tats ruin it.

I voted 80s just to be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty