U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade?
00s/10s 5 5.62%
90s 3 3.37%
80s 3 3.37%
70s 8 8.99%
60s 9 10.11%
50s 23 25.84%
40s 18 20.22%
30s 4 4.49%
20s 7 7.87%
10s 4 4.49%
00s or before 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,238,468 times

Advertisements

I certainly loved the way ladies dressed in the 70s when I was in college as well as the 80s; beautiful skirts, dresses, stocking or pantyhouse and nice pumps were always a joy to watch and behold.

A lot of women don't dress like that anymore except in the corporate world; the long running trend of bare legs for women isn't very flattering to lots of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,514,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I certainly loved the way ladies dressed in the 70s when I was in college as well as the 80s; beautiful skirts, dresses, stocking or pantyhouse and nice pumps were always a joy to watch and behold.

A lot of women don't dress like that anymore except in the corporate world; the long running trend of bare legs for women isn't very flattering to lots of them.
The unfortunate bare legs trend is being touted as a more "youthful look" for women's legs..but how can it be flattering on legs that are no longer young, esp. those who have endured pregnancies and in some cases yo-yo dieting and weight loss, and poor diets.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,940,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The 1910s (think Downton Abbey) great hats, high button shoes, simple elegance, with the 2000s minimalism as a runner-up
I love the clothes on Downton.The hair is great too.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 AM

3,058 posts, read 4,353,902 times
Another vote for the Mad Men era (late 50s/early 60s). I watch old reruns of sitcoms from that era and the women look so classy and feminine. Think Mary Tyler Moore from the Dick Van Dyke Show.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 AM

8,738 posts, read 9,583,278 times
I see most of the answers are 50s style followed by 40s style. I don't know whether those answers come from majority male or majority women but I have to sit back and laugh at it. Any man that claims it, I have to laugh even louder. Obviously people might think it looks good on paper, but in reality in today's world that look is rejected by most. Most women might claim to like it but majority of them would never wear it either. They claim it's too modest or covered up. Even they know most men ignore this style on women. This is my dressing style most of the time and I like to call it 'librarian chic' LOL. Men do not care about women dressed in this style, let alone consider it to be beautiful and will bypass these women for modern/less modest dressed women in a minute. Nine times out of ten they will consider it 'too modest/boring' or call you 'grandma' and 'dowdy' (all true stories btw). For all the women out there who are single and still attempting to get dates, I highly suggest you choose a more modern style, because I can tell you first hand this one is not appreciated nor considered beautiful by majority of these men or women, regardless of what is said on CD (go figure, as usual). They like to claim it's so 'classy' but as with most things it never pans out that way IRL situations.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 03-29-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,655,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I see most of the answers are 50s style followed by 40s style. I don't know whether those answers come from majority male or majority women but I have to sit back and laugh at it. Any man that claims it, I have to laugh even louder. Obviously people might think it looks good on paper, but in reality in today's world that look is rejected by most. Most women might claim to like it but majority of them would never wear it either. They claim it's too modest or covered up. Even they know most men ignore this style on women. This is my dressing style most of the time and I like to call it 'librarian chic' LOL. Men do not care about women dressed in this style, let alone consider it to be beautiful and will bypass these women for modern/less modest dressed women in a minute. Nine times out of ten they will consider it 'too modest/boring' or call you 'grandma' and 'dowdy' (all true stories btw). For all the women out there who are single and still attempting to get dates, I highly suggest you choose a more modern style, because I can tell you first hand this one is not appreciated nor considered beautiful by majority of these men or women, regardless of what is said on CD (go figure, as usual). They like to claim it's so 'classy' but as with most things it never pans out that way IRL situations.
I agree that most men will probably be more attracted to a woman dressed in modern styles. And while I think plenty of modern women's clothing looks nice and even great, I just think 20s and 30s, and to a slightly lesser extent 40s and 50s, fashion is really awesome. There's a young woman I see on the bus occasionally who sometimes dresses in 1930s style clothing, and I find that extremely attractive. But I realize I'm probably not normal.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I agree that most men will probably be more attracted to a woman dressed in modern styles. And while I think plenty of modern women's clothing looks nice and even great, I just think 20s and 30s, and to a slightly lesser extent 40s and 50s, fashion is really awesome. There's a young woman I see on the bus occasionally who sometimes dresses in 1930s style clothing, and I find that extremely attractive. But I realize I'm probably not normal.

They might think it looks 'neat' in a movie style sense but they don't find it to be the most attractive, that's why this thread poll threw me off.

I think the 20s/30s style is also really pretty and I like some of the hairstyles from that time, very elegant. I like 50s style clothes and sometimes I do 'victory rolls' hairstyle (40's) but someone has to help me because I'm not good with hairstyling. Again, it's not considered all that attractive but that doesn't matter to me at this point.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ai6Lpza8Ji...jr4/s640/v.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ce3t-ai52P...940-1950-1.jpg

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,655,024 times
Quote:
They might think it looks 'neat' in a movie style sense but they don't find it to be the most attractive, that's why this thread poll threw me off.

I think the 20s/30s style is also really pretty and I like some of the hairstyles from that time, very elegant. I like 50s style clothes and sometimes I do 'victory rolls' hairstyle (40's) but someone has to help me because I'm not good with hairstyling. Again, it's not considered all that attractive but that doesn't matter to me at this point.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ai6Lpza8Ji...jr4/s640/v.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ce3t-ai52P...940-1950-1.jpg
Just do what you enjoy. I loooove a lot of 20s and 30s hairstyles. Also the 40s, but some of those styles get a bit too over-the-top for me. At least they're different from what you see hundreds of times every day, though.

Leila Hyams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jean arthur | True Classics

Also, Jean Arthur and Leila Hyams have NEVER looked bad to me, so I may be a bit biased.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Just do what you enjoy. I loooove a lot of 20s and 30s hairstyles. Also the 40s, but some of those styles get a bit too over-the-top for me. At least they're different from what you see hundreds of times every day, though.

Leila Hyams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jean arthur | True Classics

Also, Jean Arthur and Leila Hyams have NEVER looked bad to me, so I may be a bit biased.

Yes that is what I do. I like some of the 20s/30s hair like the first pic, but couldn't pull off those style b/c I wear glasses and many of those hair styles have those waves flat to the forehead, like that first picture you posted. The second woman's hair is pretty but too plain for me personally. I guess that explains our like of different styles, LOL.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,278,882 times
Quote:

I'm in the minority.When I see pictures of women from the 50s most do not look attractive to me, even the ladies who were considered pretty at the time. Like you said too "dowdy". Although I do appreciate that women wore lipstick back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty