U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade?
00s/10s 5 5.62%
90s 3 3.37%
80s 3 3.37%
70s 8 8.99%
60s 9 10.11%
50s 23 25.84%
40s 18 20.22%
30s 4 4.49%
20s 7 7.87%
10s 4 4.49%
00s or before 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,581,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I'm in the minority.When I see pictures of women from the 50s most do not look attractive to me, even the ladies who were considered pretty at the time. Like you said too "dowdy". Although I do appreciate that women wore lipstick back then.
That's fine, to each his own. I don't consider them 'dowdy,' I said that's what men say. Some say women 'dress for men or other women,' -- not this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times
I'm still shocked the 80's aren't in the top 3.
The makeup,clothes,everything was full on blast feminine.
Maybe It isn't in the top 3 because those styles are here now(skinny jeans,big hair,metallics)

Even the late 1800's,with the sexy corsets, isn't in the top 3.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
I love the Victorian era clothing. Very beautiful and feminine, but VERY DIFFICULT to wear. Corsettes, yikes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
They might think it looks 'neat' in a movie style sense but they don't find it to be the most attractive, that's why this thread poll threw me off.

I think the 20s/30s style is also really pretty and I like some of the hairstyles from that time, very elegant. I like 50s style clothes and sometimes I do 'victory rolls' hairstyle (40's) but someone has to help me because I'm not good with hairstyling. Again, it's not considered all that attractive but that doesn't matter to me at this point.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ai6Lpza8Ji...jr4/s640/v.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ce3t-ai52P...940-1950-1.jpg
Have you checked out pinupgirlclothing.com or daddyos.com? They have some super cute clothing that is vintage inspired.

I used to put my hair up in victory rolls all the time! For a while I had my bright red hair with a few strategically placed black streaks that when pulled up in rolls gave my hair a super neat look. Unfortunately, that style is SO hard to maintain and now I only bust it out for special occasions. I'm headed out to NYC next week and I think I'm going to have to pull the 'late 50s/early 60s' high class train traveler style out for the trip. I don't get to do it often so any excuse to dress up and wear a pair of white gloves and backseam stockings is a-ok with me

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Have you checked out pinupgirlclothing.com or daddyos.com? They have some super cute clothing that is vintage inspired.

I used to put my hair up in victory rolls all the time! For a while I had my bright red hair with a few strategically placed black streaks that when pulled up in rolls gave my hair a super neat look. Unfortunately, that style is SO hard to maintain and now I only bust it out for special occasions. I'm headed out to NYC next week and I think I'm going to have to pull the 'late 50s/early 60s' high class train traveler style out for the trip. I don't get to do it often so any excuse to dress up and wear a pair of white gloves and backseam stockings is a-ok with me

I have seen pinupgirlclothing.com, they have all kinds of neat bags and clothes and stuff. Another site I like is etsy.com because they have accessories and it's cheap mostly. I have not heard of the other site, I will have to check it out. My favorite one is modcloth.com. Stopstaring.com is also good, but too pricey for everyday wear, IMO. Otherwise I just go to the trusty thrift store for neat finds.

I can so picture that victory rolls look with the red hair & black streaks, very rockabilly .They are hard to maintain and as I said I can't even style them by myself. It's the type of hairstyle that looks amazing when it's first done, but a few days later forget it, LOL. Once you go to sleep on them or just 'day to day' wear and tear the top curls start to look messy. Backseam stockings are very sexy, what is the rest of the outfit going to look like colorwise? You should do the victory curls with it

Here's Dita (retro Goddess) in her backseam stockings:

D I T A V O N T E E S E / Trasparenze Lingerie | Vintage Lingerie Shopping Blog

Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I have seen pinupgirlclothing.com, they have all kinds of neat bags and clothes and stuff. Another site I like is etsy.com because they have accessories and it's cheap mostly. I have not heard of the other site, I will have to check it out. My favorite one is modcloth.com. Stopstaring.com is also good, but too pricey for everyday wear, IMO. Otherwise I just go to the trusty thrift store for neat finds.

I can so picture that victory rolls look with the red hair & black streaks, very rockabilly .They are hard to maintain and as I said I can't even style them by myself. It's the type of hairstyle that looks amazing when it's first done, but a few days later forget it, LOL. Once you go to sleep on them or just 'day to day' wear and tear the top curls start to look messy. Backseam stockings are very sexy, what is the rest of the outfit going to look like colorwise? You should do the victory curls with it

Here's Dita (retro Goddess) in her backseam stockings:

D I T A V O N T E E S E / Trasparenze Lingerie | Vintage Lingerie Shopping Blog
I spend waaaaay too much time on etsy. I have a few friends who swear by modcloth, but I haven't really checked it out....looks like I have something to do this evening! I wish I could find more stuff in thrift stores, but being as tall as I am and shaped like I am, vintage clothing isn't exactly my friend. I do find that vintage reproductions are a MUCH better fit for me.

Oh, how I miss my rockabilly days My victory rolls/vintage hair was usually done the day before I needed a hair wash, since that's when my hair would cooperate best. Now it's a bit too long but I'm still going to try and pin it up for my little trip.

I LOVE backseam stockings, and it's a bummer that I don't see more women wearing them. Plain old stockings are soooo boring! I think I'm going to go with my plain black cocktail dress (mid thigh) with a lacey black shrug over it maybe pair it with a skinny red belt and a pair of red patent leather mary jane heels. I'm thinking of buying a pair of cheap red leather gloves to finish the outfit off...so it depends on what Amazon has for that Just a bit of a pop of color. Simple makeup with some red lipstick and I think I'll be good to go!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 PM

18,848 posts, read 12,473,150 times
I loved the early to mid seventies' clothing. I've tried to collect a few of those sewing patterns because I loved some of the styles.

Much of what followed was awful.

And now the clothes that we wore in the 1990s have come back! Maxi dresses!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I spend waaaaay too much time on etsy. I have a few friends who swear by modcloth, but I haven't really checked it out....looks like I have something to do this evening! I wish I could find more stuff in thrift stores, but being as tall as I am and shaped like I am, vintage clothing isn't exactly my friend. I do find that vintage reproductions are a MUCH better fit for me.

Oh, how I miss my rockabilly days My victory rolls/vintage hair was usually done the day before I needed a hair wash, since that's when my hair would cooperate best. Now it's a bit too long but I'm still going to try and pin it up for my little trip.

I LOVE backseam stockings, and it's a bummer that I don't see more women wearing them. Plain old stockings are soooo boring! I think I'm going to go with my plain black cocktail dress (mid thigh) with a lacey black shrug over it maybe pair it with a skinny red belt and a pair of red patent leather mary jane heels. I'm thinking of buying a pair of cheap red leather gloves to finish the outfit off...so it depends on what Amazon has for that Just a bit of a pop of color. Simple makeup with some red lipstick and I think I'll be good to go!
Etsy, is addictive! You just jump from page to page 'internet shopping,' on there. LOL. You should check out modcloth they have the best stuff I think....I can find things in the thrift store but I mostly like to pick up 50s housewares and/or accessories from there. You're right, a lot of the true vintage clothing is 'one size only,' and very rigid in who can wear it -- you either can or you can't with most of those pieces. Once and while I'm lucky and find something that fits. I'm 5'7 and a half and I can't lie I wish I was as tall as you. There's a lot of clothes just look better on taller women if they can find a winner....I like the idea of the black cocktail dress with a just the red accents. A black bag would probably be best.

You would probably think a lot of my outfits are boring, I can tell you dress in a sexier style.I wear the plain stockings usually, but I don't mind them. The rockabilly style has a sexier vibe to it but a lot of those things I cannot pull off, has to match your personality too I think. something like this I would wear:

Librarian Fashion - Classic / Rebecca of the blog The Clothes Horse has a classic, girly style... perfect for librarian chic inspiration. #Bold Tights #Burgundy #Cardigan #Aline #Necklines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty