U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM

29 posts, read 126,544 times

Advertisements

I used to use Bare Minerals years ago, but noticed the last few times I tried it that it made me break out. I do like Garnier BB cream. I have also used Tarte blush, eyeshadow, and mascara and love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,536,268 times
Quote:
The OP isn't interested in make-up so I don't know why she's asking for make-up recommendations.
1) Since I'm asking for people's opinions -- and not help of any particular kind or specific to me -- why I'm asking isn't relevant, but since you asked -- but then again you didn't "ask" you stated -- in what could be construed as a snide tone -- that since I'm "not interested in make-up" you don't know why I'm asking -- but I'll respond.

a) to gain knowledge: Many people seem to like MAC I wondered why. Also, It and Tarte are brands I don't know much about. So I asked about them.

b) If I weren't "interested," I wouldn't have asked.

c) I do wear make-up but very rarely.

d) Since I don't wear it often, all the make-up I have is old. If and when I ever replace it -- I've thought of getting makeup from the local organic store, or going drugstore/department store, or one of the brands I asked about which I've seen on shopping channels. I am always curious about people's opinions on what the best brands are and whether paying more -- is worth it or better -- for a 'high end brand."

2) At least I 'asked a question to gain knowledge, versus what you did which was not "ask" but make what seems to be a snide comment.

You could have just as easily asked: "OP, may I ask why your asking about make up since you've stated you don't wear it often?" But then again, that would have been the polite and non-snarky thing to do.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,436,663 times
Mineral makeup really keeps. All brands. But because I don't wear a lot of cover is why I am so in love with those little sample things. Plus you can try it out to see if it does dry you out. Both companies have different formulas based that work better for different skin types, desired finishes and coverage level. You can always layer mineral but I really don't care for repeat apps. I never really needed something full heavy coverage from foundation town. LOL (yet)

Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM

11,438 posts, read 19,463,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
1) Since I'm asking for people's opinions -- and not help of any particular kind or specific to me -- why I'm asking isn't relevant, but since you asked -- but then again you didn't "ask" you stated -- in what could be construed as a snide tone -- that since I'm "not interested in make-up" you don't know why I'm asking -- but I'll respond.

a) to gain knowledge: Many people seem to like MAC I wondered why. Also, It and Tarte are brands I don't know much about. So I asked about them.

b) If I weren't "interested," I wouldn't have asked.

c) I do wear make-up but very rarely.

d) Since I don't wear it often, all the make-up I have is old. If and when I ever replace it -- I've thought of getting makeup from the local organic store, or going drugstore/department store, or one of the brands I asked about which I've seen on shopping channels. I am always curious about people's opinions on what the best brands are and whether paying more -- is worth it or better -- for a 'high end brand."

2) At least I 'asked a question to gain knowledge, versus what you did which was not "ask" but make what seems to be a snide comment.

You could have just as easily asked: "OP, may I ask why your asking about make up since you've stated you don't wear it often?" But then again, that would have been the polite and non-snarky thing to do.
I find that make up is a very individualized set of items. What works for me is NOT what will work for you. Like, in the past few years I've found that for whatever reason, I can't wear anything from the drugstore. I'm the palest color on the scale, and no matter how much of drugstore stuff I put on, it doesn't show up. It's like I'm putting on invisible makeup. Except for lipsticks.

I said that somewhere online and most people didn't believe me and one person said the same thing happened as she aged, although she had no idea why.

I also have skin allergies, so I have to be careful and read the ingredients. You very probably won't have any issue with soy.

The best advice I have for you is to go to a department store and ask for samples. With on line companies a number of them also do samples -- you have to buy them but a 1.99 sample is far better than 15 bucks for something you won't use. And samples are usually generously sized ones.

My thinking is -- if you don't really like to wear makeup, start small. I'd try a BB cream, or that Tarte tinted moisturizer Smooth Operator -- which to me is a BB cream. It won't feel like a foundation -- I can't stand foundations -- way too heavy.

Read the reviews at Drugstore.com, or makeupalley.com -- especially the negative ones. You can get a feel of if they had unrealistic expectations of a product (like the one I read about a firming cream where the woman was using on her boobs thinking they would go back to perky) or that they didn't like it because (as I've often found) it does exactly what I wanted it to do, which is just what they didn't want it to do.

I'm not a makeup person either, but I have the Tarte Smooth Operator, Nars blush, A Too Faced eyeshadow palette, Loreal Voluminous Mascara (the only drugstore thing other than lipstick) and several lipsticks. I love the Burt's Bees Lipshimmers, but right now my favorite is Revlon's Kissable Stain Stick -- loving that -- it's in my car. The Burt's tinted lip balm disappeared -- no color what so ever.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM

4,242 posts, read 3,035,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
my local MAC counter looks like it is manned by transvestites- the stereotypical spackled on make-up, the overdone eyes at 11 am on a Saturday

Hahaha! Yeah, the ones in my area all look like they have on masks. MAC is too heavy for my taste.

I like the way Bare Minerals looks on other people. It causes me to have an allergic reaction.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,960,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I had always bought drug store makeup but a couple of years ago I wondered if higher dollar make up would make a difference. I went to Sephora and bought about $200 worth of basics--Smashbox primer, Lorac foundation, ??? eyeliner, Buxom mascara. ($200 on makeup is a lot to me, but may not be to everyone else.) Anyway, I have slowly migrated back to the cheap stuff. I borrowed my daughter's Maybelline mousse foundation and liked it so much I bought some. Same with some cheap mascara--it may be Maybelline also. So if you want to experiment, I say start cheap and work your way up to more expensive.

Also, I bought and expensive powder brush at Sephora and it fell apart. I do love the Smashbox primer and haven't tried a cheaper version yet.
Try this for primer:

Revlon PhotoReady

The Essence of Beauty brand makeup brushes available at CVS hold up well and are not expensive.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,436,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Hahaha! Yeah, the ones in my area all look like they have on masks. MAC is too heavy for my taste.

I like the way Bare Minerals looks on other people. It causes me to have an allergic reaction.

Thats the prob with MAC. Their products are so thick with pigment most people OD on application. Its very easy to do if you are used to drugstore.

Ex: I can take a maybelline cream stick concealer and swoop it under my eye like a half moon and blend out. Its more cream than pigment.

With MAC (and even NXY potted cream) I have to dab it on and blend it out. If I pulled a swipe move...lol
Total clown town.

If you want to try a mineral again look for one without bismuth. That can cause the allergies and breakouts. There are plenty of other mineral companies that are bismuth free. I do believe the everyday minerals one is bismuth free but double check. They have introduced some different formulas this year.

Mineral is also usually more drying that traditional. If the surface of your skin gets dried out you will be more prone to breakouts and irritation. I must use extra hydration with mineral apps.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,536,268 times
So, a girlfriend and I made a "let's just so see" trip to Ulta (my first time)

I didn't buy anything but I DID LOVE -- a Stila product. Now I don't recall whether it was the lipstick glaze, or gloss , or stain (who knew all the catch phrase categories? but it had oil in it. It went on smoothly, with a wand, and was moist, creamy -- and NOT sticky. I'd recommend it.

We tried Laura Geller, Urban Decay, Tarte, oh, goodness at least three other brands. ALL the glosses were STICKY! And the lipsticks were -- you know -- liptsticks.

One brand I can't recall had a fat lip pencil, but not the dry thin liner type. It was sort of a lipstick pencil. But it went on drier -- and wasn't nearly as moist as the Stila. (which was 22.00) (I think it was the Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick (with Vitamin E and avacado oil))

I did like some of the Urban Decay eye shadow palettes. But you don't need to pay Urban Decay money for eye shadow. That said -- when it comes to lip colors (which I think for me at least are harder to 'get right') -- I think I have decided to only buy colors I can try on before I buy. Saw some great looking Revlon colors -- same for the Burt's Bees tinted balm I wanted to try -- but for obvious reasons the tubes are sealed, and they had no testers. So whether it's Walmart, my health food store for organic makeup, dept stores -- or Spehora/Ulta -- I've got to see the color on me before I buy.

I can see going back, or to a Sephora (next time) -- to play some more.

Last edited by selhars; 01-25-2013 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 PM

892 posts, read 1,751,899 times
I have been looking for a product to add shimmer to my cheeks. I don't like using powders for that because they can look dry and cakey, I like to have more of a dewey finish on my cheeks. I picked up some shimmering facial whip from e.l.f. at Target the other day and it's perfect! It's a small tube but you need very little plus it's only $1. I have found that for certain products, the pricier brands are better. Concealer, eyeshadow, and usually foundation are best to get at Sephora (MAC is also too heavy for me though). For lipstick/stain, eyeliner, mascara, blush, and shimmer products, I usually stick with drugstore brands. I can't really tell a huge difference in quality. Plus, since drugstore brands are much cheaper, the trial and error process isn't as expensive (though stores like Sephora have samples of pretty much anything).

Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM

2,857 posts, read 4,700,003 times
I never have felt compelled to write a review of a cosmetic product but I do read reviews occasional on makeupalley etc. There are a few things in recent years, however, that I really like/love so I'll share.

Make Up Forever eye liner. IT. STAYS. PUT. Also it does not bother my sensitive eyes. It also goes on easily which is important to me. I've stopped buying any other eye liner. I get it at Sephora.

Physician's Formula bronzing powder. They have a dozen different shades and kinds but I use it both on a made-up face and on a fresh face with concealor as needed and it gives a nice glow both ways. Drugstore.

High: Nars eye shadow primer Low: elf eyeshadow primer. These are likely my biggest discovery in make-up in the last two years. Both of these keep your shadow looking 'just-applied" ALL DAY LONG. Remarkable. This means I can buy ANY eye shadow -- cheap or expensive -- and it looks perfect the entire day. Doesn't matter if it's a natural matte color or shimmery and bold shadow, the primer keeps it on with NO creasing. The elf brand is ONE DOLLAR at Target!

These three I feel are really personal and what works for me might not work for the next woman.

I only wear Clinique lipstick. I've tried them all and prefer the formula. Keeps my lips moisturized but lasts -- my lips dry out easily. Of course there are different lines and some I like better that others (Long Last Lip Shine), but I've just stopped buying other brands, expensive or drugstore, because I am always disappointed in the rest.

For tinted moisturizer, especially on hot summer days, I really like Aveeno's formula. fast with good glow-y light coverage.

Last but certainly not least, a new foundation has knocked my socks off for medium coverage. I wasn't really looking but after seeing the positive reviews online I thought I'd try it out. Revlon's Colorstay Whipped Foundation. The coverage is amazing and it feels light and looks smooth and soft. I was surprised I like it so much, I am always wary of foundation that feels or looks to heavy, I was shocked this goes on as light as it does but still covers well even though most of the reviews mention it. It's more matte than what I am used to (dewy tinted moisturizer) but I can add dimension to it with my bronzer.

The ONLY draw back is it's hard to determine your color from the packaging and they don't have a lot of shades, something that is a common thread in reviews. It took me trying one (too light)), buying a second and mixing it with the first (better but still a bit ashy), and then returning the first and buying a third to mix with the second and it's PERFECT. All that experimenting was still worth it -- I saved my receipts. And, the third shade I ended up with, I will likely just wear on it's own during summertime since it's a tad darker. (The packaging is heavy though, I am loathe to travel with it but will do so since I like it so much.)

Last edited by Idlewile; 01-27-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty