U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:54 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times

Advertisements

Years ago I wore only Clinique liquid foundation (and had one of its lipsticks. Next time I'm in a Dept Store I'll give Clinique another look. Any lipstick (stain) I consider will have to beat that Stila, though.

((Next time I go to the organic store, I'll write down some brand names and post a thread on those. I'd love to get some reviews on organic and 'all natural' brands.))

Any opinions on Almay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
I woman who worked at a Loreal makeup counter once told me that e.l.f from target was actually great make-up and she loved it. Big surprise, I expected her to try to sell me "quality" items she was selling. I must try e.l.f. now.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Years ago I wore only Clinique liquid foundation (and had one of its lipsticks. Next time I'm in a Dept Store I'll give Clinique another look. Any lipstick (stain) I consider will have to beat that Stila, though.

((Next time I go to the organic store, I'll write down some brand names and post a thread on those. I'd love to get some reviews on organic and 'all natural' brands.))

Any opinions on Almay?

Almay is my go to brand when things seem to be irritating my skin. It used to be the only mascara brand I could use.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:13 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,725,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post

MAC has always been a bit much for my liking. A little too over the top and it doesn't help that my local MAC counter looks like it is manned by transvestites- the stereotypical spackled on make-up, the overdone eyes at 11 am on a Saturday...nothing there appeals to me though I know many who love their products so hey must be doing something right.
I fully agree with this!! I made the huge mistake once of going to a MAC counter to get a makeup trial before my wedding years ago. I swear either this girl was having fun with me or she was clueless because she made me look like a total clown. She put heavy dark blue eyeshadow on my entire eyelid, bright pink lipstick, heavy blush, basically a bunch of colors I would never choose for myself in a million years. By the time I caught up with my ex husband, he looked at me and said "what the hell did they do to you at the makeup counter, and who did you **** off?" It was that bad. Never again.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,394,101 times
I am a miineral makeup user. At the suggestion of a friend I tried Lure Beauty and online comapny and basically asked the owner what was a good neutral shade for a lighter skin. ( I am blonde, blue green eyes fair to med skin) She suggested L7 or L8 and I ordered both! I use L7 in the cooler months and L8 in the warmer months and it is perfect! I use a moisturizer first then a brush to apply. So much product for a great price and she is always running 20% off coupons if you sign up for her newsletter. I tried Bare essentials and it has too much sparkle in it. I love that Lure does not have alot of that plus they never use talc as a filler. All natural.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:44 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
A lot of people seem to love Mac...is it the colors?, the way it feels?
Also any user reviews on It Cosmetics or Tarte?

I haven't worn make-up in decades, but when I did was a Lancome, Clinique, Revlon wearer. I'm trying to get a feel of what people think of some newer brands.

Make-up is like skin care -- many times you just have to try it. But that can be an awfully expensive ON GOING trial-and-error process. It's amazing to me how much money a 'make-up junkie' can spend on products only to find out the product don't work out.

Plus I'm thinking of going organic on makeup. My local health food store has some nice things. Maybe I'm cheap...and stuck on 1980s prices....haven't accepted paying more than 12.00 for lipstick.
Higher quality makeup has more pigment, and less fillers than cheap drugstore make up.

I am not as intent upon organic (it has less meaning in makeup than food) but I do not like to buy products tested on animals if I can avoid it. So I use smash box bb cream and primer when I do wear foundation. Oh and I like their mascaras too. I still love Bobbi Brown gel liner, but I am looking for a replacement as they have started the mandatory testing necessary to sell in China. I love Fresh lip sugar, and they are good too.

I suggest you try sephora, it is pricy but you can literally return anything, for any reason, even if you tried it and just didn't like it.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:46 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
I've wondered about Burt's Bees products...never used any of them, as I don't wear makeup nor use lip balm. Out of curiosity I'll check out the ingredients though.

Wow. your mascara for 1.99 is a steal!

What do you think of Bare Minerals/Bare Escentuals?
I have used their lip balm but if you want to try a life changing lib balm.

Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 - Fresh | Sephora

I have some bare minerals stuff, (I really like their radiance powder on top of foundation) but I am not amped about the entire line.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 329 times
Have you tried Sheer Miracle? Same quality as Bare Minerals but no bismuth oxychloride and cheaper ($19/8grams). Minimalist Mineral Makeup & Organic Skin Care | Sheer Miracle

Old 08-10-2016, 02:00 PM

3,932 posts, read 3,637,415 times
I like Trish McEvoy, Bobbi Brown and Chanel. I have stopped wearing MAC for about ten years now as I need makeup better suited for my skin in my 40's. For example, Chanel's Le Beige products are so finely milled and are gorgeous on the skin during winter. I wear Trish McEvoy's bronzer as well as BBrown's bronzer in the summer. As we age we need our beauty products to be less harsh and less obvious IMO. Trish McEvoy has a product that I use instead of foundation with a primers and SPF 30 built in. It seems to self adjust color to my skin and feels like butter on the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty