U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times

Advertisements

A lot of people seem to love Mac...is it the colors?, the way it feels?
Also any user reviews on It Cosmetics or Tarte?

I haven't worn make-up in decades, but when I did was a Lancome, Clinique, Revlon wearer. I'm trying to get a feel of what people think of some newer brands.

Make-up is like skin care -- many times you just have to try it. But that can be an awfully expensive ON GOING trial-and-error process. It's amazing to me how much money a 'make-up junkie' can spend on products only to find out the product don't work out.

Plus I'm thinking of going organic on makeup. My local health food store has some nice things. Maybe I'm cheap...and stuck on 1980s prices....haven't accepted paying more than 12.00 for lipstick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
MAC may feel too heavy for you since you have been barefaced.

I would start with the tarte line. It kinda has a romantic company growth story and is natural.

Tarte Clean Slate™ Deluxe Primer Trio: Shop Primer | Sephora
9$^^^ You put that on first. I love it. Plus a nice cheap trial combo.

Tarte Provocateur Mineral Pressed Powder SPF 8: Shop Powder | Sephora
30$^^^ its VERY sheer. And looks really natural. Better when paired with primer above

With a sheer look I think those burt's bees tinted lip products look great.
I always go cheap on mascara. There are tons of drugstore options for that.

Current selection:
Buy Wet n Wild MegaProtein Mascara, Very Black C641 & More | drugstore.com
$1.99^^^ It gives a natural lash look, paraben free and doesn't dry out my lashes.
It does not give your a thick heavy night look for lashes.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
I've wondered about Burt's Bees products...never used any of them, as I don't wear makeup nor use lip balm. Out of curiosity I'll check out the ingredients though.

Wow. your mascara for 1.99 is a steal!

What do you think of Bare Minerals/Bare Escentuals?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've wondered about Burt's Bees products...never used any of them, as I don't wear makeup nor use lip balm. Out of curiosity I'll check out the ingredients though.

Wow. your mascara for 1.99 is a steal!

What do you think of Bare Minerals/Bare Escentuals?

I was happy enough with costal scent's and everday minerals line so I never got to trying those two.
That tart primer works for any mineral foundation though.

With the coastal scents and everyday minerals you can get samples if you want to try them first:

Coastal Scents: (50 cent samples)
Coastal Scents: Mineral Makeup

You can also use the blushes on your eyes and lips so you could get a basic burt's bee's balm and just add a dab of blush powder on your bottom lip, smooth over with your finger or balm.

Everyday Minerals:
7 Piece Custom Sample Kit / Everyday Minerals | Everyday Naturals

You just pay shipping which last time I ordered was under 5$
Both of these brands I used because people switched from the higher end saying these work just the same, finding a better color match etc.

If you use face lotion you can just mix your mineral in with it to create your own BB creme they are hyping now.

Tip:
Dry/senstive/acne prone skin: use a sponge to apply mineral instead of a brush

For a setting spray I just use Reviva Labs Rosewater.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I want to HIGHLY recommend a tinted moisturizer that I got from a dermatologist. I believe they have two types, one for dry skin and one for oily skin and I have the latter. It is called Intellishade by Revision Skin Care. No matter what your skin tone, it matches. It is SPF 45 and it leaves a very nice finish on the skin which doesn't rub off. It covers just enough and feels great. I am hoping I can find it for less than the $48. from the doctor's office.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I want to HIGHLY recommend a tinted moisturizer that I got from a dermatologist. I believe they have two types, one for dry skin and one for oily skin and I have the latter. It is called Intellishade by Revision Skin Care. No matter what your skin tone, it matches. It is SPF 45 and it leaves a very nice finish on the skin which doesn't rub off. It covers just enough and feels great. I am hoping I can find it for less than the $48. from the doctor's office.

Googled it. One matte and one original.

You could always write down the highlighted ingredients and look for something like it. With just a quick peek though it looks like its going to be around that price no matter what you find. Maybe ask your doctor?
If you think of it as a 3 in 1 its not that bad.16 bucks for spf/lotion/cover.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM

3,161 posts, read 7,883,965 times
I love love love Bare Minerals but there is a learning curve. Once I settled on using a nice big fluffy foundation brush and followed the directions of swirl, tap, and buff I was good to go but it took a few tries to get it right. It looks like I am wearing nothing on my face but it evens out my skin tone like nothing else. I also use very little. One $25 container lasts me a year. I also like their "warmth" as a bronzer. It looks scary dark in color (I am very pale) but a little goes a long way. I have never used their other products (eyes, lips) so I have no opinion there.

MAC has always been a bit much for my liking. A little too over the top and it doesn't help that my local MAC counter looks like it is manned by transvestites- the stereotypical spackled on make-up, the overdone eyes at 11 am on a Saturday...nothing there appeals to me though I know many who love their products so hey must be doing something right.

On the mascara subject...I have tried very high end, very low end, and everything in between. I have never found any expensive mascara to be better than anything I can get at a drugstore. Currently I am using Cover Girl NatureLuxe masacara and it is very light and clumps much less than others, all for $6.

Burts Bees- I love their Lip Shimmer (Caramel is my shade). I get chapped lips in the winter and this stuff does a good job of adding a hint of color while keeping everything moisturized and protected from cold, wind, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Googled it. One matte and one original.

You could always write down the highlighted ingredients and look for something like it. With just a quick peek though it looks like its going to be around that price no matter what you find. Maybe ask your doctor?
If you think of it as a 3 in 1 its not that bad.16 bucks for spf/lotion/cover.
Yes, I tried googling it too. I like the way you think..3 in 1.
The thing is, my tube does not say Original or Matte. I just says Intellishade 45 SPF for all skin types. I emailed the company to find out which I exactly have.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
I like Tarte lip and cheek stains and I think Urban Decay has a similar feel. I have a UD blush that looks neon pink in the container but gives a very natural flushed look. And it's a mostly vegan brand, which is nice.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Another vote for Bare Minerals. I like that it is very light and subtle. I still look like myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty